• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two death row executions delayed to give killers time to recover from Covid

Because they’re not being murdered in cold blood.

I haven’t seen anyone argue that there shouldn’t be consequences, and most anti death penalty proponents are for life in prison as an alternative. The way our jails are currently set up is defintely cruel and unusual punishment for sure, but as a society we have the right to make sure our citizens have consequences for their actions that impede on the rights of others.

But we don’t have to murder them.

Murder is an unlawful killing. If someone is found guilty and then executed it is not murder no matter how many times you wish to use the word. The thing about the death penalty is that everyone on death row knew that what they were doing could be punished by death, and they choose to do it anyhow.

But back to the question....what makes living a 10x10 cell for the rest of your life more humane than having that life ended?

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Human life is sacred.

That does not answer the question.

Freedom is sacred, liberty is sacred. Yet you will take both from someone for the rest of their lives.

Murder is an unlawful killing. If someone is found guilty and then executed it is not murder no matter how many times you wish to use the word. The thing about the death penalty is that everyone on death row knew that what they were doing could be punished by death, and they choose to do it anyhow.

But back to the question....what makes living a 10x10 cell for the rest of your life more humane than having that life ended?

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yes, I understand that we currently have premeditated murder codified into law. I think it’s wrong and wish to see it stopped. That’s how principle works.

Answered that already. If you’re going with “slipper slope” to deal with words I haven’t said, it means you know you have nothing to argue with the words I have used.

My belief in an afterlife is not relevant to a discussion regarding the American criminal justice system.

Yes, I understand that we currently have premeditated murder codified into law. I think it’s wrong and wish to see it stopped. That’s how principle works.

Again, calling it murder does not help the discussion, murder has a specific definition. This is the same argument I get from "pro-life" people calling abortion murder.

All it does is keep an actual discussion from taking place.

My belief in an afterlife is not relevant to a discussion regarding the American criminal justice system.

I think it is. It is my view that only the belief in an afterlife where one sufferers for their actions is a logical reason to say that living in a 10x10 cell for the rest of your life is better than being put to death.

And: yup, you are correct: it is *very* hard to show the same grace to a child that we would a confirmed murderer.

Actually it is very easy to show grace to a child. It comes naturally for most of us.

Actually it is very easy to show grace to a child. It comes naturally for most of us.

Unfortuantely reading comprehension does not: that was the point.

Again, calling it murder does not help the discussion, murder has a specific definition. This is the same argument I get from "pro-life" people calling abortion murder.

I think it is. It is my view that only the belief in an afterlife where one sufferers for their actions is a logical reason to say that living in a 10x10 cell for the rest of your life is better than being put to death.

I’ll use the words I deem appropriate. You don’t have to participate in any conversation that makes you uncomfortable.

I don’t care what your belief is in the afterllife or why *you* personally would prefer the state murder you in cold blood vs sitting in a cell. What the criminal wants is of no interest.

Do you have any reason based arguments you’d like to share or is it all about the bible and feelings just like the pro life folks you’re babbling about?

Unfortuantely reading comprehension does not: that was the point.

Well, I did read that wrong. That is what I get for posting before my first cup of coffee has been drank.

So, I would ask you, why should we show a murderer the same grace we show an innocent child?

Well, I did read that wrong. That is what I get for posting before my first cup of coffee has been drank.

So, I would ask you, why should we show a murderer the same grace we show an innocent child?

Because it’s a human life. And I don’t wish to be part of a society that feels murder is a solution on the table *after* meditating on someone’s crimes.

I’ll use the words I deem appropriate. You don’t have to participate in any conversation that makes you uncomfortable.

Words have meanings for a reason, so that when people are communicating they know what is being said. To make up your own meanings for words defeats that purpose. I could call an execution a pizza and would be no less wrong than you calling it murder.

Do you have any reason based arguments you’d like to share or is it all about the bible and feelings just like the pro life folks you’re babbling about?

All you have are feelings and emotions, yet you want me to have "reason based arguments ". That is a bit hypocritical would you not say?

Because it’s a human life.

Both the baby and the murderer are human life, yet you are ok with locking one up for the rest of its life...seems the fact they are both human is not the only factor to be taken into account.

Words have meanings for a reason, so that when people are communicating they know what is being said. To make up your own meanings for words defeats that purpose. I could call an execution a pizza and would be no less wrong than you calling it murder.

All you have are feelings and emotions, yet you want me to have "reason based arguments ". That is a bit hypocritical would you not say?

So Opposites Day is your last stand.

Both the baby and the murderer are human life, yet you are ok with locking one up for the rest of its life...seems the fact they are both human is not the only factor to be taken into account.

I haven’t argued for equal treatment. That’s your tired lil’ ol strawman who soooo badly wants to take a nap. :(

I haven’t argued for equal treatment. That’s your tired lil’ ol strawman who soooo badly wants to take a nap. :(

just equal grace...whatever that means in your mind since you tend to have your own meanings for words.

just equal grace...whatever that means in your mind since you tend to have your own meanings for words.

I’ve explained what it means in *my* mind. Your definition as you keep explaining it is equal treatment. I’m not responsible for the dumb shit you believe.

If you have decided there’s no middle ground between giving a criminal a life of carefree happiness vs murdering them, that just ain’t a thing I gotta speak to.

I’ve explained what it means in *my* mind. Your definition as you keep explaining it is equal treatment. I’m not responsible for the dumb shit you believe.

If you have decided there’s no middle ground between giving a criminal a life of carefree happiness vs murdering them, that just ain’t a thing I gotta speak to.

Well, since we are not murdering , it seems you are now the one building the straw men.

And yet you do not discuss, but make shallow appeals to emotion instead. I refuse my state the power to take my life.

And yet you do not discuss, but make shallow appeals to emotion instead.

Calling a legal execution "cold blooded murder" is a shallow appeal to emotion, yet that is not pointed out by you.

I would prefer to take all emotions out of it and have someone explain to me without emotion why living in a 10x10 cell for the rest of someone's life is better than them having their life ended sooner.

I refuse my state the power to take my life.

yet you are cool with the state having the power over your life to lock you up in a 10x10 cell for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
That does not answer the question.

Freedom is sacred, liberty is sacred. Yet you will take both from someone for the rest of their lives.
Rarely for the rest of their lives. A penitentiary has a function of more than atonement for a crime but also prevention of further crime, and reform of a criminal.

Rarely for the rest of their lives. A penitentiary has a function of more than atonement for a crime but also prevention of further crime, and reform of a criminal.

Those that would have been sentenced to death are instead given life sentences in places that do not have the death penalty.

Those that would have been sentenced to death are instead given life sentences in places that do not have the death penalty.
This is incorrect. The European Court of Human Rights holds that “whole life” sentences with no possibility of review and no prospect of release were inhuman and degrading treatment in breach of Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
https://www.justiceinitiative.org/v...court-ruling-life-sentences-sets-new-standard

Back
Top Bottom