• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Two Black Teens Kill Australian "For the fun of it"

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Three teenagers were charged Tuesday in the killing of a white college student in Duncan, Oklahoma, and part of the story is what didn't happen. There was no saturation cable TV coverage, no press conference featuring Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, and no statement from the Oval Office. The death of Christopher Lane, while as troubling as that of Trayvon Martin, will not become a national touchstone of racial and cultural debate or reflection.

But maybe it should. A 22-year-old Australian from Melbourne, Lane was attending East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma, to pursue his dream of playing that American pastime, baseball. He was visiting the parents of his girlfriend in Duncan after the two had recently returned from visiting Australia. Lane was jogging down a street on Friday evening when, according to prosecutors, he was shot in the back.

Police chief Dan Ford said that 17-year-old Michael Dewayne Jones, who drove the car and was charged with accessory to murder after the fact, told police that the three boys were bored and had killed Lane for "the fun of it." Prosecutor Jason Hicks said 16-year-old Chancey Allen Luna was sitting in the rear of the car when he fired a .22 caliber revolver and killed Lane.

Rest at:
Review & Outlook: For 'the Fun of It' - WSJ.com

I'm absolutely shocked that MSNBC doesn't have 24/7 coverage of this, and where are Obama and Sharpton in all of this?? To them, it must be a travesty that two African American men may face JAIL TIME because an Australian dared to jog down a street on Friday evening. The teenagers had a grand time Tweeting about how evil and bad white people were too, so I don't get this "no racial motivation part."

Now imagine if the races were reversed...

How big would this case be?

all murderers should be punished no matter what color they are .l wish people are always honest about their arguments

all murderers should be punished no matter what color they are .l wish people are always honest about their arguments

or how old they are.

Three teenagers were charged Tuesday in the killing of a white college student in Duncan, Oklahoma, and part of the story is what didn't happen. There was no saturation cable TV coverage, no press conference featuring Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, and no statement from the Oval Office. The death of Christopher Lane, while as troubling as that of Trayvon Martin, will not become a national touchstone of racial and cultural debate or reflection.

But maybe it should. A 22-year-old Australian from Melbourne, Lane was attending East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma, to pursue his dream of playing that American pastime, baseball. He was visiting the parents of his girlfriend in Duncan after the two had recently returned from visiting Australia. Lane was jogging down a street on Friday evening when, according to prosecutors, he was shot in the back.

Police chief Dan Ford said that 17-year-old Michael Dewayne Jones, who drove the car and was charged with accessory to murder after the fact, told police that the three boys were bored and had killed Lane for "the fun of it." Prosecutor Jason Hicks said 16-year-old Chancey Allen Luna was sitting in the rear of the car when he fired a .22 caliber revolver and killed Lane.

Rest at:
Review & Outlook: For 'the Fun of It' - WSJ.com

I'm absolutely shocked that MSNBC doesn't have 24/7 coverage of this, and where are Obama and Sharpton in all of this?? To them, it must be a travesty that two African American men may face JAIL TIME because an Australian dared to jog down a street on Friday evening. The teenagers had a grand time Tweeting about how evil and bad white people were too, so I don't get this "no racial motivation part."

You were (almost) doing fine until that last sentence. Care to supply the link for that bold assertion?

The main (or at least the initial) outrage over the GZ "case" was the lack of an arrest, that was not the situation here. It is not thought to be unusual for perps of "alleged" first degree murder to be so charged, not even that unusual for juveniles to be charged as adults for serious violent crime. It is, however, somewhat unusual (even in Floriduh) for someone to simply claim self defense and thus no arrest is made.

I will agree that no real evidence of racism was ever determined in the GZ/TM case, but I have yet to see any in the CL case either. If you assert that race was the motivation then you must show cause for that assertion - was that not exactly your complaint about the GZ/TM situation?

Medusa they honestly just don't get it and probably never will.

How kind of you to bring back memories of that South Park episode that concluded with white people "just don't get it".

As a minority without a PC shield, I am wondering why this dreadful crime isn't getting more coverage, whereas a non-criminal (albeit tragic) self defense case flooded my front page for months.

Preview

yes zimmerman was an adult but found not quilty

what the **** does Zimmerman have to do with this? is the zimmerman case going to be brought up every ****ing time there is a murder from now until the end of time?

How kind of you to bring back memories of that South Park episode that concluded with white people "just don't get it".

As a minority without a PC shield, I am wondering why this dreadful crime isn't getting more coverage, whereas a non-criminal (albeit tragic) self defense case flooded my front page for months.

More coverage? Do you not watch the news, go online, or read a newspaper? It's all over the place. The kids have been arrested and are being charged with first degree murder, as rightfully they should be.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT? These kids to be publically hanged no doubt. And yes you don't get it.

The OP claim is a bit of an overstatement (or understatement) since the murder was the number one headline all yesterday. I just searched Australian murder and here is page one of ten.

You know, there are so many true things to be upset about with the creepy way our country is run, I don't get the value in making stuff up. "How big would this case be?" Pretty big considering it's one murder in a country where we have hundreds of murders every day.

Add "australian murder" section to my Google News homepage
Search Results

NPR (blog)
Okla. schools get threats, on alert after murder of Australian athlete
Chicago Tribune-13 hours ago
OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Public schools in Duncan, Oklahoma, were on alert on Wednesday after police received threats against Duncan ...
DA releases 911 call following 'thrill kill' of Australian college student ...
Fox News-1 hour ago
Two teens charged with murder of Australian college baseball player
USA TODAY-Aug 20, 2013
Man who dobbed in suspects accused of murdering Melbourne ...
International-NEWS.com.au-16 hours ago
2 teens charged with murdering Australian baseball player just ...
In-Depth-New York Daily News-19 hours ago
Australian's Shooting Death Echoes From Oklahoma To Melbourne
Blog-NPR (blog)-Aug 21, 2013
►►
YouTube
►►
YouTube

New York Daily News

BBC News

Yahoo!7 News

Daily Caller

New York Daily News
all 646 news sources »

Washington Times
Jesse Jackson's Tepid Tweet: Murder of White Australian by Three ...
NewsBusters (blog)-8 hours ago
People who were wondering whether Jesse Jackson would ever respond to the killing of an Australian collegiate baseball player by three ...
+Show more
'Senseless' shooting of Australian Chris Lane sparks calls for boycott ...
CNN-8 hours ago
"It is another example of murder mayhem on Main Street," former Australian deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer told CNN's Piers Morgan.

3 teens charged in death of Australian player
San Francisco Chronicle-Aug 21, 2013
DUNCAN, Okla. (AP) — With a motive that's both chilling and simple — to break up the boredom of an Oklahoma summer — three teenagers ...
Teens charged after allegedly killing Australian student in Oklahoma ...
Fox News-Aug 21, 2013
Peter Lane told Australian media there was no explanation for his son's death. "It is heartless and to try to understand it is a short way to insanity ...

Media Matters for America (blog)
Drive-Bys Try to Ignore Australian Student Murdered By "Bored ...
RushLimbaugh.com (subscription)-17 hours ago
RUSH: Ladies and gentlemen, I hope -- I hope -- that people appreciate what a public service that we provide here at the EIB Network. And one ...
+Show more

Black teen who allegedly murdered Australian jogger posted racist ...
Daily Caller-20 hours ago
One of the teens charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of Australian baseball player Christopher Lane in Duncan, Okla., ...

Duncan, Oklahoma schools get threats, go on alert after murder of ...
Yahoo! News-16 hours ago
OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Public schools in Duncan, Oklahoma, were on alert on Wednesday after police received threats against Duncan ...
Court Identifies Teens Named in Australian's Death
ABC News-Aug 20, 2013
Prosecutors charged 15-year-old James Francis Edwards Jr. and 16-year-old Chancey Allen Luna with first-degree murder on Tuesday.

Three Oklahoma Teens Charged in Australian's Death
Wall Street Journal-Aug 20, 2013
The alleged killing of an Australian man in Oklahoma by three teenagers—one of whom told police they committed the crime to alleviate ...

what the **** does Zimmerman have to do with this? is the zimmerman case going to be brought up every ****ing time there is a murder from now until the end of time?

oscar ,:lol:

is it me who related it to this case by starting this thread ?

The OP claim is a bit of an overstatement (or understatement) since the murder was the number one headline all yesterday. I just searched Australian murder and here is page one of ten.

You know, there are so many true things to be upset about with the creepy way our country is run, I don't get the value in making stuff up. "How big would this case be?" Pretty big considering it's one murder in a country where we have hundreds of murders every day.

Add "australian murder" section to my Google News homepage
Search Results

NPR (blog)
Okla. schools get threats, on alert after murder of Australian athlete
Chicago Tribune-13 hours ago
DA releases 911 call following 'thrill kill' of Australian college student ...
Fox News-1 hour ago
Two teens charged with murder of Australian college baseball player
USA TODAY-Aug 20, 2013
Man who dobbed in suspects accused of murdering Melbourne ...
International-NEWS.com.au-16 hours ago
2 teens charged with murdering Australian baseball player just ...
In-Depth-New York Daily News-19 hours ago
Australian's Shooting Death Echoes From Oklahoma To Melbourne
Blog-NPR (blog)-Aug 21, 2013
►►
YouTube
►►
YouTube

New York Daily News

BBC News

Yahoo!7 News

Daily Caller

New York Daily News
all 646 news sources »

Washington Times
Jesse Jackson's Tepid Tweet: Murder of White Australian by Three ...
NewsBusters (blog)-8 hours ago
People who were wondering whether Jesse Jackson would ever respond to the killing of an Australian collegiate baseball player by three ...
+Show more
'Senseless' shooting of Australian Chris Lane sparks calls for boycott ...
CNN-8 hours ago
"It is another example of murder mayhem on Main Street," former Australian deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer told CNN's Piers Morgan.

3 teens charged in death of Australian player
San Francisco Chronicle-Aug 21, 2013
DUNCAN, Okla. (AP) — With a motive that's both chilling and simple — to break up the boredom of an Oklahoma summer — three teenagers ...
Teens charged after allegedly killing Australian student in Oklahoma ...
Fox News-Aug 21, 2013
Peter Lane told Australian media there was no explanation for his son's death. "It is heartless and to try to understand it is a short way to insanity ...

Media Matters for America (blog)
Drive-Bys Try to Ignore Australian Student Murdered By "Bored ...
RushLimbaugh.com (subscription)-17 hours ago
RUSH: Ladies and gentlemen, I hope -- I hope -- that people appreciate what a public service that we provide here at the EIB Network. And one ...
+Show more

Black teen who allegedly murdered Australian jogger posted racist ...
Daily Caller-20 hours ago
One of the teens charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of Australian baseball player Christopher Lane in Duncan, Okla., ...

Duncan, Oklahoma schools get threats, go on alert after murder of ...
Yahoo! News-16 hours ago
Court Identifies Teens Named in Australian's Death
ABC News-Aug 20, 2013
Prosecutors charged 15-year-old James Francis Edwards Jr. and 16-year-old Chancey Allen Luna with first-degree murder on Tuesday.

Three Oklahoma Teens Charged in Australian's Death
Wall Street Journal-Aug 20, 2013
The alleged killing of an Australian man in Oklahoma by three teenagers—one of whom told police they committed the crime to alleviate ...

Ok fair point. This is the first I'm reading of it, so my view may be skewed.

Ok fair point. This is the first I'm reading of it though, so my view is kind of skewed.

Then I respectfully suggest you do your R&D before you post on the Internet. This is one of those exceptionally sad and disturbing cases where feral children kill decent humans. Nobody is ignoring this or celebrating it. The law of the land requires due process even when guilt is easily established. Sure, we want to hang the little monkeys by their balls but I'm afraid we'll have to take the years and millions that will go into the case. They've already confessed - this isn't a SYG case. Their lawyer, if competent, will try to have them tried as juveniles and thus avoid life in porison. That is their lawyers job - to give them the best possible defense and try like hell to keep them out of adult court.

Apparently the life of a white Australian is held pretty cheap. Not much concern being voiced out there, not much coverage.

But then all those young black men being killed in Chicago, Baltimore, DC, etc., are held even cheaper still. We're lucky to even hear a body count, or any mention at all, on the news where they are concerned. Everyone turned out to protest for Trayvon, but nobody protests for them.

The video is useless, as it is simply "posing" with a gun. The tweet is likely 100% BS - bragging about having killed 5 "woods" (months ago) with absolutely no proof. Many such tweets and "threats" were made after the Zimmerman verdict yet no corresponding massive white body counts were ever reported. These are simply punks that were gang "wanna bes" pretending to have done "bad ass" stuff; unfortunatlely that stopped (but likely also started) with Chris Lane's execution. If the moron that is now "snitching" had any evidence of prior crimes, you can rest assured that he would bring them up to police to get a better plea deal than the 45 years said to be offered. It should also be noted that the bragging moron in the video/tweets was not even the Chris Lane shooter, according to what we know so far.

Apparently the life of a white Australian is held pretty cheap. Not much concern being voiced out there, not much coverage.

But then all those young black men being killed in Chicago, Baltimore, DC, etc., are held even cheaper still. We're lucky to even hear a body count, or any mention at all, on the news where they are concerned. Everyone turned out to protest for Trayvon, but nobody protests for them.

Blacks are committing genocide here in Chicago....

It's that "gangsta ****"....

l dont follow anyone to defend myself :confused:

Really Medusa? He didn't follow and walk right up on Trayvon and shoot him. When he was informed by police that they, "don't need (him) to do that," he changed direction. Trayvon ALSO changed directions...100 yards from his house. He turned around to confront Z. And he did. And he lost his life because of his pride. It is sad. I don't disagree with that. Nor do I disagree that Zimmerman should never have gotten out of the car, but Zimmerman did not break the law. It was premeditated murder as you seem to be suggesting. It was clear cut self defense after Zimmerman made a stupid decision to get out of the car. 1 party in that incident had malicious intent. It wasn't Zimmerman.

THIS case in the OP should be discussed as a race issue. The reason is because 3 boys targeted a person of a different race. They were "bored," but given the tweets...it is quite clearly that there is malicious intent based upon racial lines. It is a VERY important key in highlighting that RACISM is not unique to white people. We all know this and yet it is seemingly only relevant to national discussion if a white person does something to a black person (and MAYBE a Hispanic or Asian person at that). This issue SHOULD be discussed along racial motivation because it is about being honest. The Black community is equally as racist as the white community. The narrative building has gotten extreme, and the reality is that the wounds of past injustices will NEVER heal when it one group is essentially given a pass on their obvious racist intent (and I mean the attempt to cover up the racial aspect)

Martin Luther King Jr. would be weeping at the state of racial affairs. He certainly would hate Jackson and Sharpton.

Back
Top Bottom