• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter Permanently Suspends Conservative Writer For Targeted Abuse

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It had to happen eventually, but rest assured, Milo will be back. I doubt Milo was doing this just to be catty, and I believe his intent was political. Even if he did target an actress, it seems he was speaking freely.

Twitter has permanently suspended conservative commentator Milo Yiannopoulos, saying that he subjected other users to targeted abuse. Yiannopoulos' suspension comes amid a recent campaign in which users tweeted hundreds of racist and abusive messages at Ghostbusters actress Leslie Jones.

Yiannopoulos has denied any wrongdoing, and characterizes his suspension as political.

Twitter Permanently Suspends Milo Yiannopoulos For Targeted Abuse : The Two-Way : NPR

It had to happen eventually, but rest assured, Milo will be back. I doubt Milo was doing this just to be catty, and I believe his intent was political. Even if he did target an actress, it seems he was speaking freely.

Twitter Permanently Suspends Milo Yiannopoulos For Targeted Abuse : The Two-Way : NPR

I didn't look into this real hard but did he call for others to harass her?
If so, why haven't they suspended others who have done this?

Why is she getting off scott free for her alleged nasty retweets of things like "he's the uncle tom of gays."

Why is she getting off scott free for her alleged nasty retweets of things like "he's the uncle tom of gays."

Double standards which benefit women in catfights? :shock:

Let me preface my statements by saying that Twitter is a private company and they should be allowed to deny their services to whoever they wish for any reason they choose. However, it is annoying that Twitter's CEO (at least, I think it was the CEO) has hailed the company as a beacon of free-speech in the past, while doing things like this and cooperating with European governments that have criminalized offensive speech. As far as I am aware, Milo didn't say anything particularly egregious, just criticized the Ghostbuster's remake and teased one of the actresses a bit. But, I'm not on Twitter, and didn't see the posts myself, so I don't actually know what was said.

It's hard to be a blogger these days without access to twitter.

Y'know, looking at what the conservatives and libertarians below said, it's tragically funny how they're SO doggone concerned about why it is that blacks are strongly pissed at the GOP and are suspicious of anything the Right says or does...but do conservatives and libertarians do anything, anything at all to stop racism by one of their own (Milo being on Team Breitbart)? No.

That's what the Right really doesn't get: If conservatives are posting racist and misogynist crap and other conservatives don't do anything whatsoever to even discourage it - one can't stop it (because of the First Amendment, of course) but one CAN strongly discourage it (and Breitbart could've fired the guy because he certainly represents their organization) - then the conservatives can't say a damned thing. Why? Because those who stand by and allow the racism to continue and don't even try to discourage it are just as guilty as the racists themselves.

Y'know, looking at what the conservatives and libertarians below said, it's tragically funny how they're SO doggone concerned about why it is that blacks are strongly pissed at the GOP and are suspicious of anything the Right says or does...but do conservatives and libertarians do anything, anything at all to stop racism by one of their own (Milo being on Team Breitbart)? No.

That's what the Right really doesn't get: If conservatives are posting racist and misogynist crap and other conservatives don't do anything whatsoever to even discourage it - one can't stop it (because of the First Amendment, of course) but one CAN strongly discourage it - then the conservatives can't say a damned thing. Why? Because those who stand by and allow the racism to continue and don't even try to discourage it are just as guilty as the racists themselves.

Sorry these people aren't affiliated with neither Libertarianism, nor Conservatism.
They were lone wolves. :)

Sorry these people aren't affiliated with neither Libertarianism, nor Conservatism.
They were lone wolves. :)

IIRC, they were among the 200K+ followers of the Breitbart guy - who could have told them himself to at least tone it down. But he didn't, did he? He let it continue.

Guilty.

So one person is responsible for another's behavior?
Interesting.

A leader is responsible for the actions of those who follow him. Anyone who spent more than a couple years in the military knows this instinctively.

If an influential Democrat says or does something very wrong in public, the Dems in leadership positions will be responsible for denouncing the behavior of that individual. That's the nature of leadership...and it applies to the Right, too.

His Twitter was awesome.

Milo is one wild and crazy guy.

Whatever he is accused of he probably did.

The Dangerous Faggot Tour
... now that is priceless.

Last edited:
A leader is responsible for the actions of those who follow him. Anyone who spent more than a couple years in the military knows this instinctively.

If an influential Democrat says or does something very wrong in public, the Dems in leadership positions will be responsible for denouncing the behavior of that individual. That's the nature of leadership...and it applies to the Right, too.

This isn't the military, it's the internet with all it's internet drama.

I know most of you folks (right, left, indifferent) aren't well aquainted with nuances of the issues with Twitter, 4chan, reddit, etc.
There is definitely more to this story than, Milo being an ass, he being responsible for harassing Leslie Jones.

It's deeper and really mostly uninteresting internet drama for all unacquainted people.

I like that Milo wants immigration to be more selective. I think his advocacy for immigration reform represents the true feelings of many Americans. We guarantee certain rights to our citizens, and sometimes people residing in our country, such as legal immigrants. Yet places like the Guantanamo Bay detention camp are notoriously hard to shut down. If we can't be expected to stop violating human rights any time soon, the least we can do is acknowledge that we won't tolerate a particular culture within our borders.

I'm don't think of Arabic people as "bad people," and I don't think that Milo does either. Islam might not be compatible with our Judeo-Christian culture, and it's not progressive to deny progress simply because it doesn't appeal to a minority. It's progressive to hear people out and explore negotiation, and we've done that, to some extent. Radical Islam just isn't working out, and radical Islam is part of Islam.

I thought Twitter was all about free speech and all of that? What happened?

I had to Google Leslie Jones. Yikes. Now I know why I stopped watching SNL years ago.

I thought Twitter was all about free speech and all of that? What happened?

I had to Google Leslie Jones. Yikes. Now I know why I stopped watching SNL years ago.

They apply it selectively.
They'll let posts celebrating the death of cops by BLM supporters, but they'll ban him for these things.
Let known doxxers and other harassers gang up on others, when they're of the correct political beliefs.

They're in their right to do so, but they shouldn't call it free speech.

It had to happen eventually, but rest assured, Milo will be back.
Not on Twitter. I think he's done.

I doubt Milo was doing this just to be catty, and I believe his intent was political. Even if he did target an actress, it seems he was speaking freely.
Sure, but Twitter is under no obligation to provide him with a platform, when he violates the terms of service.

Twitter needs to ramp up protections for abuse.

It appears he was whipping people up on 4chan and Breitbart.

He was also retweeting fake accounts purporting to be Leslie Jones.

They've made some half-hearted attempts. However, they are way behind the curve, and it is very easy for users to evade bans by making new accounts.

She was pointing out the abuse. There were also several fake accounts making terrible statements, trying to make it seem like she was saying those things.

It appears he was whipping people up on 4chan and Breitbart.

He was also retweeting fake accounts purporting to be Leslie Jones.

Not all of it.
She violated the TOS just as much as he did.
They won't ban her because "celebrity victim."

They've made some half-hearted attempts. However, they are way behind the curve, and it is very easy for users to evade bans by making new accounts.

True enough, but Jack Dorsey is friends with, if not more, with Deray Mckesson.
He's likely to give them a lot more leeway with Twitter TOS violations.

Not to mention that the Twitter Trust and Safety Counsel has as least a left leaning friendliness.

https://about.twitter.com/safety/council

She was pointing out the abuse. There were also several fake accounts making terrible statements, trying to make it seem like she was saying those things.

If he/they were being fair they would of at least temp suspended her as well.
She did post abuse, as referenced from the archives of the back and forth.

NSFW
Leslie Jones on Twitter: "@hoppetokins @KimJongUndress no I don't get cause you not funny you dickless **** you enjoy picking on women. Explains why you a Virgin"

https://archive.is/kEVJM

Leslie Jones on Twitter: "@hellogines @uberdriver2016 @Nero hey Gina go **** yourself real talk. Get the **** off my feed if you can't take it. Won't even block you"

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/2046993245413376

Back
Top Bottom