• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter is an unalienable right and part of our national security?

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
What kind of idiotic reasoning is this?

Yes that's goofy. But if they are going to play favorites they shouldn't get special protections from law suites.

Either they are a platform for everyone or a content provider responsible for damaging content.

Yes that's goofy. But if they are going to play favorites they shouldn't get special protections from law suites.

Either they are a platform for everyone or a content provider responsible for damaging content.

Whether they play favorites or not is irrelevant... There is NO unalienable right to have an account.... Section 230 is FEDERAL LAW, the ONLY way to remove those protections is to change federal law. The FCC can't change it, the president can't change it, only congress can change it...

No kidding... What an idiot...
What is funny is righties like him and trump screaming about Twitter and trying to open them up to lawsuits for what other people post on the site, while all the while using Twitter to get their message out. If Twitter was smart they would cancel the account of anyone attacking their site. If you or I were to go on this site and attack the site owner and moderators and attempted to harm them financially how long do you think it would be before our account would be canceled, permanently, and I would not blame them one bit. It is like protesting a restaurant all day while eating there 3 times a day, somewhere along the line the restaurant is going to refuse you service.

What is funny is righties like him and trump screaming about Twitter and trying to open them up to lawsuits for what other people post on the site, while all the while using Twitter to get their message out. If Twitter was smart they would cancel the account of anyone attacking their site. If you or I were to go on this site and attack the site owner and moderators and attempted to harm them financially how long do you think it would be before our account would be canceled, permanently, and I would not blame them one bit. It is like protesting a restaurant all day while eating there 3 times a day, somewhere along the line the restaurant is going to refuse you service.

Wolf sees the handwriting on the wall... When he leaves in January, the floodgates will open all the stuff DHS has been up to the last four years. It's not going to be pretty...

Whether they play favorites or not is irrelevant...
it is the basis for being a platform. They can't sensor or they become content providers.
There is NO unalienable right to have an account.... Section 230 is FEDERAL LAW, the ONLY way to remove those protections is to change federal law. The FCC can't change it, the president can't change it, only congress can change it...
Where did I dispute that?

Those same people condone destroying the USPS.

accaa622b508741eeb25153754ea559f1bf6072e.jpg

Where did I dispute that?

Not suggesting you were disputing anything, just making a comment. If we did remove section 230, those that support it's removal might be surprised at how cautious these companies will become in moderating content. If every post could result in lawsuit, how do you think companies will respond? Perhaps that might choose to evaluate EVERY post before allowing it to be posted an err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

Twitter has the leverage to have its cake and eat it too. If Republicans were to follow through on this empty threat to make Twitter a content provider and open it up to lawsuits, there would be nothing stopping Twitter from cancelling the accounts of any Republican it wanted to, including the president. The GOP could lose one of its most used direct communication channels to voters and one of its best weapons to keep it relevant. Republicans can't afford to do this. Threats against Twitter are nothing more than a desperate attempt by Republicans to suppress the fact checking of propaganda disseminated to throw the election their way.

Twitter should ban Tweety for ToS violations. until it does so, i'm not interested in giving it many clicks.

Wolf sees the handwriting on the wall... When he leaves in January, the floodgates will open all the stuff DHS has been up to the last four years. It's not going to be pretty...
Oh I think lots of conservatives are in panic mode from the top to the bottom, next year there are going to be several investigations on the crap that has been going on under trump and as we have seen it is nearly guaranteed that there will be indictments, trials and prison sentences handed down.
Step one, get rid if the trumpings holding high positions in the government,
Step two, get the Nation on the right track to deal with the pandemic, and a relief packaged done,
Step three, kill off all trumps EO's,
Step four, balance the SC,
Step five, begin investigations into the many questionable actions by trump and his henchmen,
Step six, start mending fences with all those other Nation trump has alienated,
Step seven, finally start getting the business of the Nation addressed, such as Infrastructure, Taxes, SS, Medicare, DACA, ACA.......

Twitter has the leverage to have its cake and eat it too. If Republicans were to follow through on this empty threat to make Twitter a content provider and open it up to lawsuits, there would be nothing stopping Twitter from cancelling the accounts of any Republican it wanted to, including the president. The GOP could lose one of its most used direct communication channels to voters and one of its best weapons to keep it relevant. Republicans can't afford to do this. Threats against Twitter are nothing more than a desperate attempt by Republicans to suppress the fact checking of propaganda disseminated to throw the election their way.

Ever read the comments sections on articles on Foxnews.com? Imagine the lawsuits....

Reactions: lwf
Nothing but right wing nuts harassing the public ......they the Trumpers believe that the USA has been transformed into an ALEC Fascist Party dictatorship. I say it's time for the Rump admin to pack
up and move to Russia, China or Afghanistan. Of course the losers will want USA taxpayer protection to which I flip them the bird.

I remember GW saying in public how a dictatorship would be so much easier so ask where in the hell did these wing nuts come from?????

Anyone remember when they were the party of free market enterprise and a corporation could do what they wanted as long as they weren't breaking any laws?
Yeah I remember when they for states rights, until they weren't, and individual freedom but only if your not a woman, and corporate freedom....yeah

we will see. There is no doubt they are abusing these special protections. Whether they will stop it is another matter.

Not suggesting you were disputing anything, just making a comment. If we did remove section 230, those that support it's removal might be surprised at how cautious these companies will become in moderating content. If every post could result in lawsuit, how do you think companies will respond? Perhaps that might choose to evaluate EVERY post before allowing it to be posted an err on the side of caution.
and another start up could agree to be strictly a platform and take over the market.

Twitter is protected against lawsuits by legislation. That's what allows them to censor everybody they don't like. That protection must be removed at once. They must operate like every other business. Then, they can censor and those so censored can sue them.

Who would advertise on a platform where anything could be posted?

If you cut out half the people because you don't like their politics, you've cut out half the people who could see the advertising. Twitter would make much more money if they weren't censoring conservatives.

Back
Top Bottom