• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter Has Some Thoughts on Melania Trump’s New Rose Garden

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I had some consternation about where to start this thread, and which story to use. I picked the most neutral one I found: Twitter Has Some Thoughts on Melania Trump’s New Rose Garden (Vogue)
Vogue

August 23, 2020

On Saturday, Melania Trump unveiled the renovated White House Rose Garden, a project the first lady deemed crucial and necessary amid a worldwide pandemic. It is, however, the first restoration of the garden in nearly 60 years. Last month, Trump announced her plans to redesign the garden, including “electrical upgrades for television appearances, a new walkway, and new flowers and shrubs.” In a statement, she said the goal was to “fulfill the dynamic needs of the modern presidency,” as President Trump has been holding his press conferences in the garden space rather than indoors due to COVID-19. (The first lady will also be making a speech for the Republican convention there on Tuesday.)

Indeed, the new green space has undergone a Trump makeover. The garden, which was originally commissioned by President John F. Kennedy in 1961, was designed by gardener Rachel Lambert Mellon. The original layout was filled with a colorful assortment of roses and large, vibrant crab apple trees. Trump, however, opted to modernize and strip back the flow of the space: It now features a large (empty) grassy center with limestone pathways. Around it are planters with white flowers, called the “JFK rose,” and smaller pink roses, “peace roses,” and the “Pope John Paul II rose,” in honor of the first time a pope visited the White House in 1979, according to a report by ABC News. Trump also removed the 10 crab apple trees famously planted by Mrs. Kennedy herself, as they were casting too much shadow onto the rest of the flowers.
Unsurprisingly, the redesign has caused some controversy. Some complaints are over the top, but many are thoughtful and sincere. The process, and result, is rife with symbolism. Gone, for example, is any semblance of diversity - vibrant colors have been banished, in favorof a mostly white palette. Gone too are the iconic, but unrestrained, crab apple trees - planted to cool the space in notoriously hot summers - but which impeded the imperial view from the oval office. Regimentation is in, but so are actual modernizations - cable access and ADA compliance. The contrasts are stark.

Twitter has its thoughts. What are yours?

They are waiting for an art installation to go in that large swath of grass. I don't like the geometric shrub layout but they have been there since Jimmy Carter so I can only criticize her for not yanking them out.

For goodness' sake!

If any other First Lady had done the same thing, there would be 100% rave comments on Twitter (whatever that is. I'm a senior citizen who has never been to that platform and could not care less about it).

If President Biden's wife makes subsequent changes, Twitter will no doubt be all atwitter with praise!

5B5AA1B6-F289-4B51-8442-23EE13543BC3.jpg

To my eye, there is no contest.

This is what the Trumps are used to on the interior:

E7D98064-1BC7-4B59-B5F9-96F6AAD83AC7.jpg

We have real issues to worry about.

There is one element I like in the redesign - the bordering paths - but that's it. They chose to take away garden space for the path, though, and keep more "event space". There is no question that there is a completely different sensibility to the "new" design. I'm a huge fan of gardens, particularly formal gardens. And, there is no question this is supposed to be an "event space". But, it's not much in the way of a "garden" anymore.

What irks me most, though, is pretending that this "honors" the Bunny Mellon concept, since most of her deliberate elements are removed - the crab apple trees, the geometric patterns, and most of all, the colors. The garden has been reduced to a nice(ish) hedge. There's no imagination to it. It's completely unnatural.

Yes, we do. But, isn't this emblematic of those issues?

What is your reasoning? Admittedly, I have not been paying attention to this bit of news.

Until the idiot left was told this was an issue they should piss themselves over, 99% of them couldnt have picked the Rose Garden out of a photo lineup.

For goodness' sake!

If any other First Lady had done the same thing, there would be 100% rave comments on Twitter (whatever that is. I'm a senior citizen who has never been to that platform and could not care less about it).

If President Biden's wife makes subsequent changes, Twitter will no doubt be all atwitter with praise!

wow, what a victim mentality... Trumpism all the way

Last edited:
Until the idiot left was told this was an issue they should piss themselves over, 99% of them couldnt have picked the Rose Garden out of a photo lineup.

It's such a big deal that this is the only place I have heard about it.

Get over your victimization.

wow, what a victim mentality... Trumpism all teh way
It doesn't take long to drag a potentially rich and nuanced discussion down to the dirt, does it?

What is your reasoning? Admittedly, I have not been paying attention to this bit of news.
I was trying to do something a little different, a little less confrontational. There are a lot of elements to it - esthetics, symbolism, social communication, gardening and even politics. I thought it could be a springboard to a more erudite conversation. I picked Vogue magazine, for ****s sake!

Instead, in the world of Trump, it's reduced to the least common denominator. Trumpists spoil everything.

Part of the "emblematic" nature of it is just how the rich operate. Impractical, impositional, secretive. The garden was established by Ellen Roosevelt (Teddy's wife) as a "public space." It reflected his sensibilities - he of the national parks. The Kennedys wanted a showplace that the public could be proud of. The redesign, then, was exuberant, forward-thinking and practical, too (incorporating cooling shade). It was to be "the people's garden".

This redesign was done without outside input. It was imposed. And it reflects an impersonal, impositional ethic, reflective of the occupants, and catering to their whims, not the public's interest. The crab apples "obstructed the President's view", so they're gone - even though they were popular and provide cooling shade. No one else's interests (except ADA compliance, maybe?) affected the design. THAT'S what I mean.

That's how they do the gardens at the Kremlin. What did you expect?

I was trying to do something a little different, a little less confrontational. There are a lot of elements to it - esthetics, symbolism, social communication, gardening and even politics. I thought it could be a springboard to a more erudite conversation. I picked Vogue magazine, for ****s sake!

Instead, in the world of Trump, it's reduced to the least common denominator. Trumpists spoil everything.

This might an interesting video that explains why

It's such a big deal that this is the only place I have heard about it.

Get over your victimization.
:lamo

Victimization? You just proved my point.

Other than the trees (which block the sun, making it harder to grow actual roses), the only real difference is that the plantings were reduced to make more space for a walkway, and the actual use to which the garden is put.

You all realize that tulips don't really grow in August, right?

She removed all color, and said it was better.

It is what one would expect from the soviet art movement.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

Other than the trees (which block the sun, making it harder to grow actual roses), the only real difference is that the plantings were reduced to make more space for a walkway, and the actual use to which the garden is put.
Wow. That is like saying "the only real difference is that the original was an apple, and this is a half-grapefruit. They're practically the same."

Back
Top Bottom