• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter Has Some Thoughts on Melania Trump’s New Rose Garden

Looks like a damn funeral home now.

I had some consternation about where to start this thread, and which story to use. I picked the most neutral one I found: Twitter Has Some Thoughts on Melania Trump’s New Rose Garden (Vogue) Unsurprisingly, the redesign has caused some controversy. Some complaints are over the top, but many are thoughtful and sincere. The process, and result, is rife with symbolism. Gone, for example, is any semblance of diversity - vibrant colors have been banished, in favorof a mostly white palette. Gone too are the iconic, but unrestrained, crab apple trees - planted to cool the space in notoriously hot summers - but which impeded the imperial view from the oval office. Regimentation is in, but so are actual modernizations - cable access and ADA compliance. The contrasts are stark.

Twitter has its thoughts. What are yours?

That Vogue article is full of ****. The crab apple trees have been replaced several times and the rose bushes needed thinning/cutting down (the Washington Post’s gardening columnist Adrian Higgins wrote that one of the problems Melania needed to address in the redesign was “the die-off of rose bushes to the point where only a dozen or so remained.”)

The Reuters article below addresses the crap that has been spewed on twitter and debunks it ...

Fact check: Melania Trump’s Rose Garden redesign did not remove rose bushes from all first ladies since 1913 - Reuters

How the hell did the rose garden survive without crab apple trees for 50 years?!? /s

Tulips bloom for all of 1 week - maybe 2, so the majority of the year it looked nothing like that.

The crabapple trees were very pretty, but again the blooms last about a week. They must have been very close to the end of their lifespan as well.

Hard to comment on the new garden. It will take 3 years for the new plants to become established and mature. The color scheme is definitely more neutral. Not what I would have picked for my house, but certainly appropriate for a "stately" garden.

Doesn't the wall around the white house also block the imperial view from the oval office?

Back
Top Bottom