• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter: Covid infection from surfaces negligible.

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Twitter hides another Trump tweet for potentially discouraging voting | Engadget

Twitter:

..COVID-19 is much less likely to be spread by a touching a virus-infected surface than by other means, according to the CDC.

CDC:

How Coronavirus Spreads | CDC

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.

"Possible", "not the main way the virus spreads", and "much less likely".

More from the CDC:

Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.

It's airborne, not on surfaces as Twitter AND the CDC says. Why wash your hands and sanitize surfaces if it's airborne? It's only "possible" that you can get it from surfaces, right CDC?

Stop washing hands and stop sanitizing surfaces, per Twitter.

Last edited:
Twitter hides another Trump tweet for potentially discouraging voting | Engadget

Twitter:

..COVID-19 is much less likely to be spread by a touching a virus-infected surface than by other means, according to the CDC.

CDC:

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.

More from the CDC:

Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

It's airborne, not on surfaces as Twitter AND the CDC says. Why wash your hands and sanitize surfaces if it's airborne? It's only "possible" that you can get it from surfaces, right CDC?

I don't see where you can't get it from maskholes.

I never believed it was going to last long on surfaces.

It travels on droplets.

Droplets dry.

No droplet, nothing for the virus to ride on.

The most definitive study on the subject to date says that under ideal circumstances the virus survives on surfaces at detectable levels anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days. The real isn’t ideal conditions so those numbers represent the outer limit. As well you need to exceed some lower bound concentration of virus particles to actually get infected.

I take from that that the risk from surfaces especially if they haven’t been touched recently is low. Still I used hand sanitizer after touching the ATM at 6am this morning. Cheap insurance.

folks, regardless of your political persuasion, i wouldn't go around licking doorknobs. you can catch it from surfaces. how long it can live on surfaces is up for debate.

I don't see where you can't get it from maskholes.

I never believed it was going to last long on surfaces.

It travels on droplets.

Droplets dry.

No droplet, nothing for the virus to ride on.

It's really sad that some people are just now figuring out the basics.

Twitter:

CDC:

More from the CDC:

Today we learn that the OP is having trouble distinguishing between "less likely" and "not possible."

folks, regardless of your political persuasion, i wouldn't go around licking doorknobs. you can catch it from surfaces. how long it can live on surfaces is up for debate.

I wouldnt have thought licking doorknobs was a good idea even before Covid

I wouldnt have thought licking doorknobs was a good idea even before Covid

definitely not. it's an extra bad idea now.

I like that grocery stores have some stooge out there wiping down the handles of carts before customers get them.

Well if Twitter says it, then it must be true.

That rules out Trump’s dick getting some action

The most definitive study on the subject to date says that under ideal circumstances the virus survives on surfaces at detectable levels anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days. The real isn’t ideal conditions so those numbers represent the outer limit. As well you need to exceed some lower bound concentration of virus particles to actually get infected.

I take from that that the risk from surfaces especially if they haven’t been touched recently is low. Still I used hand sanitizer after touching the ATM at 6am this morning. Cheap insurance.

Yep. The thing is you have some surfaces which are touched regularly; and if you live in an urban center, that's a lot of recently touched surfaces. In those scenarios you just have to be disciplined on not touching your face and washing your hands regularly.

It's really sad that some people are just now figuring out the basics.

Yeah. Like who didn't understand that a cloth mask would slow/absorb the droplets the virus rides on? Reducing spread from the infected and reducing somewhat incoming droplets.

Twitter:

CDC:

More from the CDC:

I've been saying this all along. People aren't getting the virus from touching the wrong door knob. They are breathing the virus in through the air, most notably, indoor air. Unfortunately, this effects outdoor events such as beaches where 30,000 people may be using the same restrooms or port a potties.

Back
Top Bottom