• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter becomes Truth Social over night.

Is Twitter really worth anything if everyone left of center abandons the platform and it becomes populated by Marjorie Taylor Greene fans? I mean... isn't that just Truth Social? The reason right-wing platforms fail is because liberals and progressives don't use it, thus there's no one to troll.

44 billion dollars... LOL.

This could be delicious on many levels.

So here is the social media problem we face with regard to FREE SPEECH. We are witnessing pure garbage get mass exposure.This is not just unvetted trash but out and out PROPAGANDA designed to manipulate on a mass scale flying under the banner of FREE SPEECH.

Now I am sure we will have some posters (re. PROPAGANDISTS in the main) salute this mess. I am somewhat less thrilled myself.

How many times do we hear twitter proclaimed as "the global public square" when in fact, it is much more the global public latrine. At best it might be a global public square in 280 characters or less. Good luck with that too.

The is a popular and very true Mark Twain saying that existed long before social media. "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still pulling its boots on."

Now think about that very true statement for the 19th century with the dynamic of social media overlaid onto it.

If twitter is to be the global public square then it has to be free of the manipulative garbage that is its current mainstay. At worst twitter is infested with manipulative propaganda amplified to a mass audience. At best its titillating, provocative to some entertaining BULLSHIT. Most of the crap there should be attenuated, not amplified.

That this mess is projected as a Left v Right issue simply tells you how much more the Right is into their propaganda and related trash than the Left. Surely there is abuse from all quarters. But the Right is simply telling us in yet another way how much they are into manipulative propaganda.

Putting aside the inaccuracy of what your saying, is that suppose to somehow excuse the fact that progressives view pedophilia as a minor transmission hardly with punishing?

Are you gonna offer more whataboutism's now?

It's not "whataboutism" if the initial claim isn't true. Also Roy Moore had sex with underage girls, and the right wing response was "Better a pedophile than a Democrat."

That progression is pretty accurate for many people.
Elon Musk took the popular right wing saying, "The right didn't move to the right, the left moved to the left!" (or something like that) and turned it into a stick figure drawing, breathing new life into an old trope. The problem? It's not true. The right wing has abandoned democracy and embraced fascism, and Democrats are the ones who've gotten more extreme?

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 7.38.56 AM.jpg

Explain how over night many Republican Twitter posters suddenly got millions of new followers? These people aren't posting more, haven't changed their content, but suddenly MILLIONS of "new" followers?

The answer is that searches and links off of other content is no longer being pushed down or filtered out by the program. Come on, you know these sites work, what pops up a the top are either things which create more ad money, or are what is the post popular stuff. And if a program is filtering something out, then that is shadow banning.
Actually jester, I don't use twitter, no facebook, instagram or screw me tonight web sites, sorry, so you'll have to explain to me how it happened. I know you have the inside dirt like @Mycroft, share please.

Hadn't heard that but it makes sense. The intentional filtering goes both ways. Google is the king of doing that. I remember how during the 2012 election if you were on Google and searched out something negative about Hillary in order to fact check for yourself, Google would populate the first page or two with articles that were all glowing puff pieces.

If anything under Musk, it sound like there will be at least more neutral competition of information. Musk stated he wants to confirm every single human on Twitter in order to defeat bots. On one had that sounds great, but on another hand it centers a ton of knowledge about individual people---- and who will be tapping into that?

I'm not on Twitter, Facebook or any of it. I may read some things on Twitter, but I see no need to have an account.
I think what you call filtering they call algorithms. Either way I know if I were a republican, I would be outraged.

Is Twitter really worth anything if everyone left of center abandons the platform and it becomes populated by Marjorie Taylor Greene fans? I mean... isn't that just Truth Social? The reason right-wing platforms fail is because liberals and progressives don't use it, thus there's no one to troll.

44 billion dollars... LOL.

This could be delicious on many levels.

I wonder how many of the followers that increased are bots

I really don't care. The only reason I had signed up to twitter originally was to follow "The Walking Dead" ; an avid fan here and other than TWD cast, I don't follow anyone else.. Now that this is there last season doubt I will be using it anymore

Elon Musk took the popular right wing saying, "The right didn't move to the right, the left moved to the left!" (or something like that) and turned it into a stick figure drawing, breathing new life into an old trope. The problem? It's not true. The right wing has abandoned democracy and embraced fascism, and Democrats are the ones who've gotten more extreme?

View attachment 67388234
I was referring to us peons, not anyone in congress.

I was referring to us peons, not anyone in congress.
Congress people are who they are because of the people who vote for them. Congress people who don't look and act like their constituents tend not to be congress people for very long. You can see that playing out in older, moderate Republicans getting thrown out in favor of people like Greene, Boebert, and Gaetz.

Congress people are who they are because of the people who vote for them. Congress people who don't look and act like their constituents tend not to be congress people for very long. You can see that playing out in older, moderate Republicans getting thrown out in favor of people like Greene, Boebert, and Gaetz.
I don't really buy that. You only have so many choices when voting for a congress person. And there are way too many people that don't even bother voting other than the presidential election. While they may "partially" represent those in their districts that actually voted, they do not represent how everyone in their district is.

Back
Top Bottom