• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter and Square CEO Jack Dorsey says ‘hyperinflation’ will happen soon in the U.S. and the world

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Twitter and Square CEO Jack Dorsey says ‘hyperinflation’ will happen soon in the U.S. and the world
The tweet comes with consumer price inflation running near a 30-year high in the U.S. and growing concern that the problem could be worse that policymakers have anticipated.

On Friday, Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell acknowledged that inflation pressures “are likely to last longer than previously expected,” noting that they could run “well into next year.” The central bank leader added that he expects the Fed soon to begin pulling back on the extraordinary measures it has provided to help the economy that critics say have stoked the inflation run.

In addition to overseeing a social media platform that has 206 million active daily users, Dorsey is a strong bitcoin advocate. He has said that Square, the debit and credit card processing platform that Dorsey co-founded, is looking at getting into mining the cryptocurrency. Square also owns some bitcoin and facilitates trading in it.

For liberal elites, it's all by design; a feature, not a bug.

Inflation is a feature of economic recovery. In the U.S. right now, it’s being driven by a few overlapping factors resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic: low interest rates set by the Federal Reserve, several rounds of direct government stimulus to both consumers and businesses, and pent-up consumer demand that is being unleashed as the U.S. reopens.
With that in mind, many economists and other financial experts say that the current rate of inflation is nothing to worry about — it’s temporary and expected, even if it is unclear when it will eventually fade.

What does Jack know about macro economics? I can clearly remember conservatives claiming there would be hyperinflation if Obama got his stimulus plan passed in 2009. Remember the hyperinflation that caused? Me neither.

What does Jack know about macro economics? I can clearly remember conservatives claiming there would be hyperinflation if Obama got his stimulus plan passed in 2009. Remember the hyperinflation that caused? Me neither.
Economics driven by supply and demand are currently struggling because of lack of supply, lack of workers, lack of resources to produce and transport and free money incentives to sit around on your duff.

You are taking your economic advice from a tech CEO with a conflict of interest?

Economics driven by supply and demand are currently struggling because of lack of supply, lack of workers, lack of resources to produce and transport and free money incentives to sit around on your duff.
The expanded unemployment benefits that conservatives claimed provided an incentive to not work, have long expired and yet, workers didn’t return to work. You are going to have to find a different boogie man to blame.

In any case, there is no sign of hyperinflation.

We're doomed...again. It happens every time a democrat inhabits the oval office, ask any republican.
Well at least you are right for once. Prices will continue to rise until there is no longer a middle class. Just several levels of poor.

The current 12-month inflation rate is 5.4%. Expect it to rise to 6.1% by the end of the year. This will be the highest rate of inflation since 1990. Expect inflation in 2022 to ease to 3% as shortages fade, but that will be still be higher than the 2% yearly average from 2016 to 2019, prior to the pandemic. Stronger inflation is likely to stay with us for a while.

kiplinger.com

The man has a lot invested in cryptocurrency. He needs to pump up his internet tokens to sell to others. He sounds like a techie Peter Schiff.

The fact that he says hyperinflation is going to happen on a worldwide scale shows he's creating a problem to solve.

Sometimes i feel like I'm living through the Fisher Price version of The Stand and Tweety is the bastard son of Randall Flagg and Biff Tannen.

My first reaction was 'Is Dorsey more often correct? Or incorrect?
Followed closely by what insights does he have that many others wouldn't?
Reading over the other posts in the thread, which were all pretty good, came across this one:
The man has a lot invested in cryptocurrency. He needs to pump up his internet tokens to sell to others. He sounds like a techie Peter Schiff.
and it's like, Hmmmm.
For liberal elites, it's all by design; a feature, not a bug.
Sure seems like it. And if the liberal elites were left on their own, they'd have passed the $3.5T - $5.5T government dependency addition bill which would have made it far worse, and likely the hyperinflation that Dorsey is predicting.

Heck the hyperinflation may still come even though the spending bill appears that it won't.

My first reaction was 'Is Dorsey more often correct? Or incorrect?
eorhn, its good that you attempt to use logic (instead of obedience) whether or not to believe someone but he's a software guy not an economist. You usually look for any excuse to not believe people with no experience. Case in point, here's your opinion on Paul Krugman
Anyone notice that this economist is talking about topics are far afield from that which he knows something about?
so not only do you owe Paul an apology you've seemed to abandoned the obedient conservative narrative of "he was wrong about this one thing one time so I dont ever have to believe anything this guy tells me". And I also expect you to be more approving of Paul's opinion since he has an excellent track record.

5.4% compared to last year...
I really don't see inflation holding steady, the supply issues are driving prices higher and quickly.

Labor market is red hot right now and showing no signs of slowing down.

I think the predictive accounts we are seeing are entirely too rosy.

6.1%/yr is not hyperinflation. We had a worse time in the late 70s and early 80s (and even back then, it still wasn't hyperinflation). In June of 1920, the inflation rate was 23.7%/yr (which is the highest measured in this country), which is high, but still not hyperinflation.

This is hyperinflation - https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hyperinflation.asp

What Is Hyperinflation?

Hyperinflation is a term to describe rapid, excessive, and out-of-control general price increases in an economy. While inflation is a measure of the pace of rising prices for goods and services, hyperinflation is rapidly rising inflation, typically measuring more than 50% per month.

From the very beginning of the pandemic one of my nightmare scenarios was hyperinflation after seeing various statements from central banks and government figures across the world and what they were going to do.

There is a multitude of factors that are pushing inflation, some of which may be solveable in the short term, some that aren’t.

But ultimately to your average person, complexity is a vice and understanding this situation and it’s nuances beyond bumper sticker thinking is not acceptable.

What really worries me is what the Fed may have to do to curb inflation in terms of some shock jacking of interest rates, pain that was put off in both the Obama and the Trump years.

From the very beginning of the pandemic one of my nightmare scenarios was hyperinflation after seeing various statements from central banks and government figures across the world and what they were going to do.

There is a multitude of factors that are pushing inflation, some of which may be solveable in the short term, some that aren’t.

But ultimately to your average person, complexity is a vice and understanding this situation and it’s nuances beyond bumper sticker thinking is not acceptable.

What really worries me is what the Fed may have to do to curb inflation in terms of some shock jacking of interest rates, pain that was put off in both the Obama and the Trump years.
This is the more nuanced understanding of something as complex as a national economic we need.

Instead in much of this thread ... we get hyper-hyperbole.

This is the more nuanced understanding of something as complex as a national economic we need.

Instead in much of this thread ... we get hyper-hyperbole.

Hmmm...

"Expect it to rise to 6.1% by the end of the year. This will be the highest rate of inflation since 1990." - Kiplinger

vs.

"hyper-hyperbole." - an Internet personality with an agenda named tacomancer

Hmmm...

"Expect it to rise to 6.1% by the end of the year. This will be the highest rate of inflation since 1990." - Kiplinger

vs.

"hyper-hyperbole." - an Internet personality with an agenda named tacomancer
I notice that you edited out the link of what actual hyper inflation is by investopedia since facts ran counter to your narrative

Inflation is a feature of economic recovery. In the U.S. right now, it’s being driven by a few overlapping factors resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic: low interest rates set by the Federal Reserve, several rounds of direct government stimulus to both consumers and businesses, and pent-up consumer demand that is being unleashed as the U.S. reopens.
With that in mind, many economists and other financial experts say that the current rate of inflation is nothing to worry about — it’s temporary and expected, even if it is unclear when it will eventually fade.
No, it’s not. That is a lie. As your first sentence is a lie the rest of this cannot be taken seriously, but please I hope the left runs on “why hyperinflation is a good thing”

We're doomed...again. It happens every time a democrat inhabits the oval office, ask any republican.
I for one blame libs for inflation, transgenders running amok, and my cat arfing up a hairball on My Pillow.

Back
Top Bottom