• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twentieth Century Fox say's sorry for movie poster.

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Fox Apologizes For ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Chokehold Ad

Twentieth Century Fox has apologised for a billboard that features Jennifer Lawrence’s X-Men: Apocalypse character Mystique being strangled.

The billboard has been criticised by some who are offended by the imagery of Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Mystique. Actress and filmmaker Rose McGowan says there’s “a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is a way to market a film.”

:doh This is so stupid it hurts, its a superhero movie for gods sake it's supposed to be violent........

If everyone who saw that poster was familiar with X-Men I would say, "What is the big deal?" The fictional Mystique can kick the **** out of 99.999 whatever percent of men on the planet. But not everyone who sees that poster is aware of the back story and all they see is a big man choking a small woman. Perfectly fine in the movie itself. But probably not the best choice for a poster the whole public will see.

Classic overreaction... from all the usual suspects.

Superheros need bad guys to save the world from. We do not need to be saved from depictions of bad guys in the act of attacking superheroes. ;)

A super hero film where the fighting kick ass female anti-hero is in the fight of her life is now seen as misogyny. I'll take overwrought and out of context outrage for 400, Alex.

A super hero film where the fighting kick ass female anti-hero is in the fight of her life is now seen as misogyny. I'll take overwrought and out of context outrage for 400, Alex.

Yup. Clearly, Fox needs to follow the Disney model here and make her an invincible one-dimensional magic waif buried under five tons of plot armor instead. That way, Slate and Jezebel can endlessly gush over what a "strong female character" she is, and try to deflect any criticism of the film whatsoever away with wild accusations of sexism and "MRA"-hood.

Last edited:
Fox Apologizes For ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Chokehold Ad

Twentieth Century Fox has apologised for a billboard that features Jennifer Lawrence’s X-Men: Apocalypse character Mystique being strangled.

The billboard has been criticised by some who are offended by the imagery of Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Mystique. Actress and filmmaker Rose McGowan says there’s “a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is a way to market a film.”

:doh This is so stupid it hurts, its a superhero movie for gods sake it's supposed to be violent........

I watched the season finale of L&O, special victims. The guy actually held his own wife at gun point, having raped and molested several women under his care prior.
Violence exists.
I don't watch the x-men, have no clue if they promote violence against women. What I do know is that some song lyrics promote demeaning and violence against women. Are the artists and promoters asked to apologize?

These kind of movies feature women that beating up men on a constant basis and they are worried about violence against women? Hello, a large part of these movies is to show women as fighters, so having moments where women get hit or overpowered is to be expected.

I'm not understanding what's offensive about it. Does that scene happen in the movie?

I'm not understanding what's offensive about it. Does that scene happen in the movie?
Apparently it's offensive because the billboard is promoting "violence against women", which I don't get at all.

And yes, it does happen in them movie.

Apparently it's offensive because the billboard is promoting "violence against women", which I don't get at all.

And yes, it does happen in them movie.

If it's wrong on the billboard why isn't it wrong in the movie?

If it's wrong on the billboard why isn't it wrong in the movie?
I have absolutely no ****ing idea. But maybe they're also offended at the movie scene too; I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

I just can't see how Apocalypse holding Mystique by the neck is somehow promoting violence against women.

I have absolutely no ****ing idea. But maybe they're also offended at the movie scene too; I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

I just can't see how Apocalypse holding Mystique by the neck is somehow promoting violence against women.

I can see why someone might think it looks "wrong." However, Apocalypse is a villain. "Wrong" is kind of in his job description. lol

I can see why someone might think it looks "wrong." However, Apocalypse is a villain. "Wrong" is kind of in his job description. lol
Exactly. Apocalypse isn't supposed to be a role model for people to look up to or anything.

He's supposed to do terrible ****. That's what a supervillain usually does.

Progressives want women in combat roles, but wet their freaking pants over a poster.
But what's odd to me is it's also in the movie, but for some reason they are only pissed at the billboard poster.

But I don't even understand why the poster is offensive. Are women just not supposed to be put in any stressful/difficult situations?

But what's odd to me is it's also in the movie, but for some reason they are only pissed at the billboard poster.

But I don't even understand why the poster is offensive. Are women just not supposed to be put in any stressful/difficult situations?

I can tell you first hand that I have seen many women put in leadership positions where the stress would crack the males just as easily. Physical combat is another story, and the females break down too fast to handle the long haul.

But, to say that a female super hero or villain cannot be choked? That is just bed wetting to me.

The super-villain should have battled mightily with the male characters...but the female characters...he should have just had them go make him a sammich.

Wouldnt it be 'offensive' if she hadnt recieved equal billing and treatment?

Back
Top Bottom