• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TV shows that did something so over the top you never watched them again?

To each thier own but we are just wired different .. ive seen probably every episode of the the shows you brought up . . . they were "comedies" so their ability to ever offend me is probably nil.

ANd im trying to think and answer your question and I dont think any show has ever affected me like that "personal value system" because its just entertainment . . .

Theres shows that have lost me simply because of bad writing or losing interest but none that I can remember because of a difference in morals or values . . . maybe im just not thinking hard enough . .

do you have any other personal examples? or popular examples that you know of?

It is an interesting topic but I just dont think im wired that way .. . i think a show would probably have to be wrong from the start or make a very major blatant and obvious change

I would like to provide you with an example, but if the mindset is not there, then, meh :shrug:

I am that way about other issues too. Them not being worth getting upset about.

Like you said earlier, everyone has their triggers. Those were mine. No one is going to steal my paycheck, I hate reverse discrimination, and sex with your own mother is just plain disgusting...in my own personal opinion.

I am sure other things I enjoy, others would find equally disgusting to them.

I once had a pet rat
I love eating rabbit on Easter Sunday
and my sexual kinks are banned in 17 states

People are funny that way, aren't they?

1.)I would like to provide you with an example, but if the mindset is not there, then, meh :shrug:
2.)I am that way about other issues too. Them not being worth getting upset about.
3.) Like you said earlier, everyone has their triggers. Those were mine.
4.) No one is going to steal my paycheck, I hate reverse discrimination, and sex with your own mother is just plain disgusting...in my own personal opinion.

5.) I am sure other things I enjoy, others would find equally disgusting to them.

I once had a pet rat
I love eating rabbit on Easter Sunday
and my sexual kinks are banned in 17 states

6.)People are funny that way, aren't they?

1.) lol I was trying to see if maybe i was missing the mark for myself thats all, its cool
2.) Yeah I dont really have that wiring, my brother does though . . man O man . . he can get worked up over absolutely nothing . .
3.) agree, everybody does
4.) on a side note Ill go on a little rant to SHARE something that similar . . while it doesnt bother me or give me any emotion it is an example of a trigger since you brought it up.

something I wish people wouldnt do is say reverse discrimination . . . theres no such thing . . .discrimination is discrimination period . .
I know its a commonly used slang term to describe when a minority group is practicing discrimination but I think that waters the issue down and I think it makes it seem to people that only the majority can really be discriminatory or that its worse.

Discrimination in this fashion is ugly and gross no matter the party doing it . .

:) trigger fired

5.) haha a pet rat? interesting
id try rabbit, never had it but id try it
not sure if my sexual kinks are banned anywhere in the states . . im sure some are

6.) yes we are :)

Hmm - no. I'm not a trigger really. I'm just not that type of person. Odds are, if characters do things I don't care for too much it's more than one thing- and they pile up to where I don't care as much and just stop watching. No specific line in the sand for me.

Mainly - I'm not into a show THAT much. EVER. I go for years without really caring about any episodes.

--

However, my husband stopped watching The Simpsons because, in one episode, Homer voted for Obama . . . seriously? He watched that show for years. When he was deployed he insisted I record and save EVERY ****ING EPISODE. I hated that show just because he watched it obsessively . . . and then we went for about 6 years without ever tuning into an episode. THAT actually pissed me off - him just quitting a show I had tolerated for a long time.

And who gives a ****! THAT - out of the Simpsons where everything ****ed up under the sun happens - voting for Obama is what pissed him off? :roll:

He only started watching it when they did the full marathon.

--

I'll never re-watch Dexter again, though. I was totally fine with the show until the last season . . . and then so many stupid things happened. Just poor script writing, poor plotting, silly ideas. And they crammeda ll these things in to a short time-span because it was the end. Everything from his sister 'falling in love with him' to Dexter giving his son to some serial killing woman who planned to take him out of the country and thus never see the Grandparents that raised him or his siblings that loved him? It made NO sense along the line of his character and what he supposedly stood for - but it was the last few episodes. It just brought it to a dull and dumb end.

No I don't enjoy formatted TV never have.

Sometimes a show will grab my interest, I follow it until it bores me, then I drop it.

It's nothing personal but some shows will hold me through their entire life such as Dexter, or Sopranos, currently Walking Dead is still holding me as is Game of Thrones and Vikings.

I am not plot driven, I am character driven. People in real life are complex, never black and white, life occurs in the gray zone, so as long as a show keeps the characters complex and real, it will hold me.

I'm with you on this, Sal. Dexter, Sopranos, GOT, and Vikings all have lots of objectionable stuff...but I enjoy them. The Godfather movies had lots of stuff that was objectionable...but I enjoyed them. One of my favorite movies is PULP FICTION...which tells it all.

I can't think of a single fictional show I stopped watching because it violated my values. It is fiction. Hell, some of my favorite shows were Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos. I have enjoyed shows where entire worlds were destroyed. It is fiction and my values apply to the real world.

NONfiction tv is different. I never watched the Rose O'Donnel show after she attacked Tom Seleck on her show for his gun stance. I vowed never to watch another episode of Fear Factor after they had their contestants drink donkey semen. I won't watch prank shows like Scare Tactics on principle because I think it is cruel.

I don't like shows that manipulate the emotions of real people for entertainment value like The Briefcase. I won't watch them.

I have stopped watching TV due to the political and social propaganda that the networks are constantly pushing. I can't say I miss it. :shrug:

The epidisode where Greg and Marsha realized they weren't really brother and sister.......

I have stopped watching TV due to the political and social propaganda that the networks are constantly pushing. I can't say I miss it. :shrug:

Ya just when you think you understand the reach of the propaganda you realize that it is even worse.

Or at least that has been the case for me.

I'm with you on this, Sal. Dexter, Sopranos, GOT, and Vikings all have lots of objectionable stuff...but I enjoy them. The Godfather movies had lots of stuff that was objectionable...but I enjoyed them. One of my favorite movies is PULP FICTION...which tells it all.

yes Pulp Fiction rocked it

they aren't for the faint of heart though :lol:

Ya just when you think you understand the reach of the propaganda you realize that it is even worse.

Or at least that has been the case for me.

Indeed. In the last few years the feminist propaganda, the LBGT propaganda, the apparent sexism towards men, and obvious references to liberal political agendas have just been getting worse and worse on TV. I have to admit it's been actually pretty nice treating the TV as if it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's something out there that crosses my moral line(s), but I can't seem to find it. If South Park and Archer can't offend me, I'm not sure anything else will.

2. Barney Miller – Once a guy came in and reportedbeing robbed of his paycheck and the detectives said it was nothing to getupset about or fight the thief about.Well, I do not know about the rest of the population, but my paychecksare the source of my kids food, clothing, and keeping the bills paid and a roofover all our heads.No damned thief isgoing to rob my family of their money, and their source of security.It IS something to fight over.

This is a good example of why context is important. In that episode, the New York police had shifted to a policy where each precinct handled a certain type of case instead of just handling any policing that needed done in their precinct. The precinct the show was set in was to handle just murder cases, so they where not able to handle the robbery. They where unhappy about it but policy is policy. The kicker for that storyline was the old guy who was robbed decided to confront those who did it and was killed, leading to the rather pissed off line "now we can handle his case".

PS...I wrote this on WORD as I was afraid it might time out before I was done and I would loose it all, so I apologize for some of the spaces between words being omitted in the pasting.

so that is why there are the insane amount of formatting tags. Microsoft products...

2. The Office and most modern day comedies. I never watched this show when it first came on, because I knew I wouldn't like it, but I am currently hate-binge-watching this show due to the advice of my sister. I am in season four and still waiting for it to get good. There are maybe a couple of good episodes throughout so far, but at this point I am just simply calling it a bad dramedy. I am beginning to understand that I hate cringe comedy and awkward comedy. Basically if Steve Carrell's character was not in the show it would be tons better as the supporting cast is great. That's not against steve carrel I like him in other stuff. I just don't like Michael Scott and want to kick him in the face. Call me old fashioned, but just give me a regular multi-camera sitcom with a family or some couples and I am good to go.

How can you be 4 seasons in if you hate it lol? I think wanting to kick Michael Scott in the face is one of the main draws of the show, you should see Ricky Gervais in the original. Unbelievably punchable.

Anything with Jane Fonda or Woody Allen will not be tuned in ever. I am not a fan of two very prolific arenas in film these days.

1) reality shows - can't stand them especially when there is soap opera drama (grew up hating soap opera and game shows).

2) all the reboots these days that completely change the construct of a cast to promulgate the "racial/sexual-identity reset" message (Annie not only recast the story to make the stars black but changed the plot to vilify whites) getting sick and tired of this. Want a black movie, make a black movie! Stop trying to rewrite history by writing out white people and making the ones in the re-writes "evil slave masters".

Truth is it is happening and it is starting to get ludicrous. The new Star Wars is another example. Did we have to have a black rebel storm trooper fighting the evil white storm trooper (cop) that was carrying a police baton looking weapon? And of course the female storm trooper captain in silver (bling)? They also cast a metrosexual temper tantrum throwing wussy as Han and Lieah's son, the new Vadar character! This guy is such a douche!

Rant off!

Anything with Jane Fonda or Woody Allen will not be tuned in ever. I am not a fan of two very prolific arenas in film these days.

1) reality shows - can't stand them especially when there is soap opera drama (grew up hating soap opera and game shows).

2) all the reboots these days that completely change the construct of a cast to promulgate the "racial/sexual-identity reset" message (Annie not only recast the story to make the stars black but changed the plot to vilify whites) getting sick and tired of this. Want a black movie, make a black movie! Stop trying to rewrite history by writing out white people and making the ones in the re-writes "evil slave masters".

Truth is it is happening and it is starting to get ludicrous. The new Star Wars is another example. Did we have to have a black rebel storm trooper fighting the evil white storm trooper (cop) that was carrying a police baton looking weapon? And of course the female storm trooper captain in silver (bling)? They also cast a metrosexual temper tantrum throwing wussy as Han and Lieah's son, the new Vadar character! This guy is such a douche!

Rant off!

Oh my god....there are black people in our movies!!!!!!!!

I'll never re-watch Dexter again, though. I was totally fine with the show until the last season . . . and then so many stupid things happened. Just poor script writing, poor plotting, silly ideas. And they crammeda ll these things in to a short time-span because it was the end. Everything from his sister 'falling in love with him' to Dexter giving his son to some serial killing woman who planned to take him out of the country and thus never see the Grandparents that raised him or his siblings that loved him? It made NO sense along the line of his character and what he supposedly stood for - but it was the last few episodes. It just brought it to a dull and dumb end.

The last season of Dexter was so incredibly bad, the writers and actors just gave up. I'm on the last season of Nurse Jackie (no spoilers) now, great show, I know how it ends, just working my way to it.

Its interesting watching re-runs of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley on TV, you can really see where they (quite literally) jumped the shark and began a slide down into complete crap.

jesus, calm down people. taking entertainment too seriously. i stop watching shows when i either lose interest or they end/get cancelled. i mean, really, what should i type? i stopped watching star trek the next generation because of men in onsie spandex?

5e9b4d465af8dee335d2f8d42451e0ed56d373b62554a68ad658ed54888b21bc.jpg

1) CSI: Miami: One episode had a lady whose identity had been stolen. She was accused of committing a crime because the thief left some of her stuff near an otherwise unrelated murder scene. Murderer gets caught. Her thief ruins ler reputation and life otherwise, police won't help. She takes the initiative and finds the thief herself and turns info over to police. Police (well, one of them) are sympathetic and present info to DA. DA refuses to do anything at all because Id theft is not a priority at all to them. ID victim ends up killing the thief, and gets charged with murder.

This one annoyed me because, while I understand that ID theft wasn't a big LE priority back in that day, when they have a crime essentially solved for them and laid in their lap, they are ethically obligated to pursue it.

2) Jackass: They took a baby car seat, put a doll in it, and drove around a shopping center parking lot with the car seat and doll on the top of the car. People were freaking out thinking it was a real baby, and for good reason. I have great tolerance for "entertainment", but this was too far in my book.

The last season of Dexter was so incredibly bad, the writers and actors just gave up. I'm on the last season of Nurse Jackie (no spoilers) now, great show, I know how it ends, just working my way to it.

Its interesting watching re-runs of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley on TV, you can really see where they (quite literally) jumped the shark and began a slide down into complete crap.
Happy Days is literally where the phrase "jumped the shark" comes from.

The last 2-3 seasons of Happy Days was complete and utter crap.

For Laverne & Shirley it was when they moved to California, though it was kind of dying by then anyway.

M*A*S*H

I didn't think this one character could be so important, but when Radar left the show became crap. Part of it was writing, too, and the people involved with the show taking themselves too seriously. It became way too preachy.

To this day I want to punch Mike Farrell in the face when he does those commercials reminiscing about the show, he's so effing sanctimonious about it. Dude, get over yourself. You weren't that special.

I loved Firefly, I thought it was the best show ever. And then it went and got cancelled and I was like "Hell no!" *click*

Haven't watched a new episode since

Futurama did the same thing and it pissed me off so much I stopped watching it for a couple of years. I went back to it after a bit to see if it recovered, but no! A few years later, it decided to get cancelled again. I'm done with that show now, except for reruns.

I loved Firefly, I thought it was the best show ever. And then it went and got cancelled and I was like "Hell no!" *click*

That happened to me with The Event. It was getting real good and it got cancelled. Bummer.

1) CSI: Miami: One episode had a lady whose identity had been stolen. She was accused of committing a crime because the thief left some of her stuff near an otherwise unrelated murder scene. Murderer gets caught. Her thief ruins ler reputation and life otherwise, police won't help. She takes the initiative and finds the thief herself and turns info over to police. Police (well, one of them) are sympathetic and present info to DA. DA refuses to do anything at all because Id theft is not a priority at all to them. ID victim ends up killing the thief, and gets charged with murder.

This one annoyed me because, while I understand that ID theft wasn't a big LE priority back in that day, when they have a crime essentially solved for them and laid in their lap, they are ethically obligated to pursue it.

2) Jackass: They took a baby car seat, put a doll in it, and drove around a shopping center parking lot with the car seat and doll on the top of the car. People were freaking out thinking it was a real baby, and for good reason. I have great tolerance for "entertainment", but this was too far in my book.

Agreed on the Jackass scene. It is not funny to make people believe an infant is about to die.

Back
Top Bottom