• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

TV in the USA

Naughty Nurse

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Elsewhere Urethra "I'm so superior" Franklin made some rather disparaging remarks about TV on that side of the pond. I'd like to redress the balance a little and thank you folks for sug brilliant TV as:

Friends
Sybil
Frasier
Six Feet Under
Sex and the City
The Golden Girls

Etc etc.
 

Fried Rice

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
177
Reaction score
7
The Sopranos, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, South Park, and I always wanted to be a Charlies Angel or Bionic Man (or woman / dog)

Fried Rice eating in front of the TV
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Naughty Nurse said:
Elsewhere Urethra "I'm so superior" Franklin made some rather disparaging remarks about TV on that side of the pond. I'd like to redress the balance a little and thank you folks for sug brilliant TV as:

Friends
Sybil
Frasier
Six Feet Under
Sex and the City
The Golden Girls

Etc etc.
But Naughty "I"m so sarcastic" Nurse (if you'd worked harder at school you could have been a doctor), have you ever actually watched them IN THE STATES where a 30 minute programme is padded out to an hour with friggin' mindless ADVERTS!!

Of the shows you mention only The Golden Girls is remotely clever. The others are s*it.
Let's not forget the US gave us such cultural delights as The Jerry Springer Show, When Bras Come Undone and Midnight Masses From Hell.
 

Naughty Nurse

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Well, Urethra, I didn't want to be a doctor, thanks - I much prefer being a human being.

I'm sure every country produces a lot of naff TV - I know that UK TV often leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't mean we can't appreciate the good stuff, does it?

I respectfully suggest you come down from that ivory tower and join the rest of us mere mortals!
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Naughty Nurse said:
Well, Urethra, I didn't want to be a doctor, thanks - I much prefer being a human being.

I'm sure every country produces a lot of naff TV - I know that UK TV often leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't mean we can't appreciate the good stuff, does it?

I respectfully suggest you come down from that ivory tower and join the rest of us mere mortals!
Well it's admirable that there are people out there who actually want to be nurses - heaven knows there's a shortage, and you angels do such a wonderful job mopping the fevered brows of our sick and needy, but may I remind you that it was you who commenced the slagging match with your "I'm so superior" comment. May I suggest that if you can't take it, you shouldn't hand it out in the first place?

To return to the topic, I believe the standard of TV worldwide has nosedived since the 1980's, with the advent of 'talk shows' and 'reality TV' garbage. Sadly, the USA has been highly successful at exporting it's garbage around the world, and with a few exceptions such as The Simpsons and The Golden Girls, very little of it has actually been particularly clever or well made. Your own country produces some wonderful comedy (Victoria Wood, Kathy Burke, Moira Stewart) and fine in depth documentaries, as do France and Switzerland. The US however, has it's skim the surface, treat them like idiots (wonder why?) "60 minutes" type trosh with no real in depth analysis. Whenever I have visited the states I have been stunned senseless by the daily diet of talk shows and trash - not to mention the advertising which is double the amount to be seen in any other country I have ever been to.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
**The Daily Show!! (the best tv in America)
The Chappelle Show
Malcolm in the Middle
**The Family Guy!! (the 2nd best tv in America)
King of the Hill
Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond

and the grandfathers of quality American television programming...The Andy Griffith Show & All in the Family

Then there's Sealab 2021, The Venture Bros. & the Aqua Teen Hunger Force on Cartoon Network in which I take guilty pleasure from their putrid offensiveness.

Otherwise, you're right, it's all crap. And commercials are evil & insidious.

Oh, and Frasier sucked once Niles & Daphne got together....
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Blue Hobgoblin said:
You forgot to mention The Simpsons. TV land would be nothing without them.
Oh no! I didn't forget. They were mentioned previously so I intentionally left them out. I will always be grateful to Matt Groening & James L. Brooks for their gift to America, & apparently the world, of The Simpsons. Together, they saved American television from total banality & introduced the masses to the pleasures of satire, making most of the good American programming today possible. Thanks to Traci Ullmann, too! Of course.
 

pwo

Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
205
Reaction score
1
Location
Illinois
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the UK for giving us such great shows as........um.........I cant think of anything. Dammit..........um.........most of our crappy reality shows are based off of british shows so thank you for that i guess.
 

MeChMAN

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
The Simpsons
Family Guy
King of The Hill
Futurerama
South Park
Six Feet Under
Oz
CSI
and ......um..... that's all I have to say about that.
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
pwo said:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the UK for giving us such great shows as........um.........I cant think of anything. Dammit..........um.........most of our crappy reality shows are based off of british shows so thank you for that i guess.
You Americans wouldn't get our sophisticated British humour, the suttilty of the irony etc. The Office did well over in the US didn't it, but most Americans didn't get it.
America celebrates heros, we celebrate the underdog and losers (coz they need someone to support them).
The Simpsons and Family Guy are probably the best two shows that the US has produced.

P.S. I have watched tv in the U.S., get rid of all your DAMNED AD'S!!! lol
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
pwo said:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the UK for giving us such great shows as........um.........I cant think of anything. Dammit..........um.........most of our crappy reality shows are based off of british shows so thank you for that i guess.

Ummmm......dude.....Monty Python?

Absolutely Fabulous was absolutely fabulous. They don't show it where I live now. I loved that show when I could see it, though.
 

mixedmedia

iniquitably employed
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
6,823
Reaction score
373
Location
Naples, FL
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Mechman:
Futurama

Forgot about that one. Yes, I add this to my list! Although I'll read, occasionally, people who love the Simpsons who criticize it. Don't know why. I think it's funny as hell.

So all of these shows I mentioned are the only ones I watch, barely even watch the news anymore, so as far as I am concerned American tv is fabulous!

If only Kids in the Hall were still on...jeesh all my favorite shows are comedy shows. Go figure.
 

Naughty Nurse

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
mixedmedia said:
Ummmm......dude.....Monty Python?
Classic comedy, and some great films - The Life of Brian, The meaning of Life, The Holy Grail - all brilliant!

mixedmedia said:
Absolutely Fabulous was absolutely fabulous. They don't show it where I live now. I loved that show when I could see it, though.
Ab Fab - British comedy at its best!
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
11,992
Reaction score
6,092
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
mixedmedia said:
Ummmm......dude.....Monty Python?
:agree

Exactly what I was thinking...
 

MeChMAN

Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2005
Messages
109
Reaction score
1
Location
Florida
GarzaUK said:
You Americans wouldn't get our sophisticated British humour, the suttilty of the irony etc. The Office did well over in the US didn't it, but most Americans didn't get it.
America celebrates heros, we celebrate the underdog and losers (coz they need someone to support them).
The Simpsons and Family Guy are probably the best two shows that the US has produced.

P.S. I have watched tv in the U.S., get rid of all your DAMNED AD'S!!! lol
I liked Mr. Bean and I like some of your british comics like Eddie Izzard

Europe is pretty cool all in all I think because that is where the history comes from
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Naughty Nurse said:
Classic comedy, and some great films - The Life of Brian, The meaning of Life, The Holy Grail - all brilliant!
Cheer up, Brian. You know what they say.
Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle!
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...


Always Look on the bright side of life.
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of s**t
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.


Must go now, the suicide squad approaches.
 

Naughty Nurse

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Pacridge said:
Cheer up, Brian. You know what they say.
Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle!
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...

Always Look on the bright side of life.
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of s**t
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.


Must go now, the suicide squad approaches.
:rofl Monty Python at their best!
 
Top Bottom