• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Any list that doesn't include the original "Outer Limits" series, is a list not worth reading...

Any list that doesn't include the original "Outer Limits" series, is a list not worth reading...

Is that the show that started or ended with something like, "We are now returning control of your television set to you . . . "

Edit:

First lines of each episode: There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Limits.
Last lines of each episode: We now return control of your television set to you. Until next week at the same time, when the control voice will take you to — The Outer Limits.

-------------------
I loved the show as a kid.
Nowadays, it seems really dated and the special effects were worse than Sharknado.
Having said that, the show had some interesting storylines.
I dunno.....what show do you kick out of the Top 50 in order to include OL?

Is that the show that started or ended with something like, "We are now returning control of your television set to you . . . "

:
-----------
Yes.

-------------------
Nowadays, it seems really dated and the special effects were worse than Sharknado.

Donahue, for starters...

I don't even know what most of these shows are.

Now I told myself Don't do it--you know you will be pissed" but I went ahead and did it and clicked that link.

Seinfeld the greatest TV show ever....LOL not even in the top 25 by my measure

Now I told myself Don't do it--you know you will be pissed" but I went ahead and did it and clicked that link.

Seinfeld the greatest TV show ever....LOL not even in the top 25 by my measure

You're kidding! Oh please ... even top 35 is silly (and I liked it) ... let's not forget Twilight Zone ... I see some of them lately and they've stood the test of time ... and, yes, Outer Limits was good ... used to love Superman and how all he had to do was put on glasses and no one knew who he was ... although I wanted to slap that whiny Jimmy Olsen all the time ... shaddup Jimmy!!!!

Yes. I also think the ORIGINAL Star trek was better than TNG.

-------------------

Donahue, for Outer Limits
Star Trek TNG, for Star trek
Buffy, for The Practice

Donahue, for starters...
------------
Yeah, but Donahue was the precursor for daytime talk shows (it says so right there in the article).
I'm not sure about Letterman, though.
The guy is funny and I used to watch him, but the Tonight Show with......Paar, Carson was much better.

Yes. I also think the ORIGINAL Star trek was better than TNG.

Donahue, for Outer Limits
Star Trek TNG, for Star trek
Buffy, for The Practice
------------
Agree on Buffy, and the Star Treks should both be included......TV Guide, make it so.

... used to love Superman and how all he had to do was put on glasses and no one knew who he was ...
---------------------
I liked it too, but Superman was so physically unfit.
Almost as bad as Adam West in Batman.

------------
Yeah, but Donahue was the precursor for daytime talk shows (it says so right there in the article).
I'm not sure about Letterman, though.
The guy is funny and I used to watch him, but the Tonight Show with......Paar, Carson was much better.
Absolutely.

------------

Yes, but was it great.
Was it one of the greatest shows of all time on television.

I would say that, although noteworthy, and in some cases, good or very good, most of the shows listed simply don't belong in the category of "greatest," but that's just my opinion.

Stephen King once said that the Outer Limits was "the best program of its type ever to run on network TV."
I tend to agree...

Yes, but was it great.
Was it one of the greatest shows of all time on television.

I would say that, although noteworthy, and in some cases, good or very good, most of the shows listed simply don't belong in the category of "greatest," but that's just my opinion.

Stephen King once said that the Outer Limits was "the best program of its type ever to run on network TV."
I tend to agree...

you just reminded me of Firing Line (?) ... the one with Buckley ... there was a time that liberal and conservatives had lively, civil, and intelligent conversations ... there was a lot I didn't like about him, but he made you think and always had great guests who could more than hold their own with him ... good show ...

you just reminded me of Firing Line (?) ... the one with Buckley ... there was a time that liberal and conservatives had lively, civil, and intelligent conversations ... there was a lot I didn't like about him, but he made you think and always had great guests who could more than hold their own with him ... good show ...

I'm 56, and I loved listening to Buckley when I was younger, although I didn't make it known to my friends ;)
I was a conservative back then and didn't even know it...

-------------
That was a good show.
Remember Joe Pyne?
One of the originators of confrontational TV/Radio?
I'm pretty sure his show's debut coincided with the decline and fall of Western civilization.
Good times!!!

I only agreed with 2 of those shows (although I might still place Sesame Street on there as a third just because it is a timeless kids' educational show). I'm actually watching one of those shows right now (Friends) and own at least one season of the second (I had 5 more, but they got lost due to having to be left with family) (Star Trek:TNG). Oh, and I wouldn't disagree with Simpsons eventhough it's not actually on my own list.

But Seinfeld at the top? I hate that show. It was so stupid.

How the hell could Buffy the Vampire Slayer be in there with that list. Granted, most of the list are of older shows, but Buffy?? Come on. Just because a show has a big cult following does NOT make it one of the best shows of all time. :roll:

So, have I missed it, or is there no other HBO and AMC show from the last decade on that list besides "The Sopranos"?

In that case, it's definitely not a "best series" list. That new stuff is much better than almost everything that came before on tv.

So, have I missed it, or is there no other HBO and AMC show from the last decade on that list besides "The Sopranos"?

In that case, it's definitely not a "best series" list. That new stuff is much better than almost everything that came before on tv.

I'm inclined to agree.

People refer to the "Golden Age of Television" as the era of I love Lucy, Jackie Gleason, etc. But I disagree. I think we're in the golden age right now...unless it gets even better.

Of course there's tons and reams of tripe and garbage. And reality tv is, for the most part, unhelpful.

But still, when it's good, it's really good.

I'm inclined to agree.

People refer to the "Golden Age of Television" as the era of I love Lucy, Jackie Gleason, etc. But I disagree. I think we're in the golden age right now...unless it gets even better.

Of course there's tons and reams of tripe and garbage. And reality tv is, for the most part, unhelpful.

But still, when it's good, it's really good.

There are very few older shows that I like. Very few. I think, with the exception of reality TV, the shows are better than they've been in a while. I do miss shows like X Files, and ER. I thought they were well written, well acted. Lots of shows that have gone that I loved. That older stuff from the 50s and 60s, though? Pass. I'm a child of the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom