• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Seinfeld sucked. I hated that show.

It will be interesting to see this kind of list in about 10 to 20 years when some time has passed and current shows get that "old so okay to be 'all time great'" cred going....

Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Wire and others are some that will definitely have some cases to be made.

Any list that doesn't include the original "Outer Limits" series, is a list not worth reading...

-------------------
I loved the show as a kid.
Nowadays, it seems really dated and the special effects were worse than Sharknado.
Having said that, the show had some interesting storylines.
I dunno.....what show do you kick out of the Top 50 in order to include OL?

>>>>

That is a fairly comprehensive list. Of course, we all take find a few we do not want on the list - for me its 30Something - which I just hated and even though I was born in 1949 - Lucy never did much for me - Ernie Kovacs was always far superior. And we have our favorites that were left off - West Wing, Beauty & the Beast for me - but all in all its a pretty good list.

American Family may be the mot overrated show ever on TV. Bewitched never did much for me either. Andy Griffith was far better.

I'm inclined to agree.

People refer to the "Golden Age of Television" as the era of I love Lucy, Jackie Gleason, etc. But I disagree. I think we're in the golden age right now...unless it gets even better.

Of course there's tons and reams of tripe and garbage. And reality tv is, for the most part, unhelpful.

But still, when it's good, it's really good.

I think it's a mistake to place too much emphasis on any one era. Today's shows are technically better, better acted, generally better scripted, certainly better shot, and so on. But, shows of the past have a charm that makes them appealing as well.

I've been watching a lot of Perry Mason recently, and while it doesn't have the glitz or sophistication of a Criminal Minds or a CSI (both of which I very much like), it compares to them very well and stands on it's own merits.

I'm old enough to be aware and have watched pretty much all of these shows and several I would have in my 50 Worst TV Shows of all Time, but the most egregious example is having Letterman considered "greater" than Johnny Carson's Tonight Show - that's just idiotic, and probably the result of someone's need to slam the show for going with Leno and not Letterman when Carson retired.

I'm old enough to be aware and have watched pretty much all of these shows and several I would have in my 50 Worst TV Shows of all Time, but the most egregious example is having Letterman considered "greater" than Johnny Carson's Tonight Show - that's just idiotic, and probably the result of someone's need to slam the show for going with Leno and not Letterman when Carson retired.

Agreed. Carson was better than Letterman, and I'd bet that even Letterman would say the same thing.

Anyway, shows from the older era like Perry Mason, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, etc., were all fine programs, and worthy of praise. But, the era also gave us Car 54, Where Are You?, which was utter crap.

Agreed. Carson was better than Letterman, and I'd bet that even Letterman would say the same thing.

Anyway, shows from the older era like Perry Mason, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, etc., were all fine programs, and worthy of praise. But, the era also gave us Car 54, Where Are You?, which was utter crap.

You named three shows I was addicted to. I remember as a child laying in front of the TV watching Perry Mason and solving the cases before the end - boy was I shocked those times when I didn't get it right. Perry Mason was the reason I love matters related to law.

Hey now! I liked car 54..... Gunter Toody and Francis Muldoon. They don't make em like that any longer.

I think it's a mistake to place too much emphasis on any one era. Today's shows are technically better, better acted, generally better scripted, certainly better shot, and so on. But, shows of the past have a charm that makes them appealing as well.

I've been watching a lot of Perry Mason recently, and while it doesn't have the glitz or sophistication of a Criminal Minds or a CSI (both of which I very much like), it compares to them very well and stands on it's own merits.

Ok, that's a fair point. Like many people, I used to hate old movies: the stiff dialogue, the melodrama, the (often) wooden acting.

But once you learn to appreciate it on its own merits (it was somewhat closer to "theatre-style" than contemporary films are, for one thing), you can learn to love it.

Artists like Hitchcock were at the forefront of the evolution, so both "old" and "new" are apparent...and a lot of it's pretty great.

Hey, don't be hatin' on Sharknado. That movie was awesome. :lol:
-------------
I liked it, too.
Ridiculous plot, bad special effects....Sharknado's got it all!!!
Speaking of hokey sci-fi movies and TV, I used to watch Creature Features on Saturday nights, as a kid.
Vincent Price, Roger Corman, Hammer Films, William Castle flicks.
Bad cinema at it best!!
Laughable special effects, hammy actors, frequent damsels in distress--bosoms heaving--classic!!
What more could a 7th grader ask for?
The modern remakes of most of these flicks are.....not good.

-------------
I liked it, too.
Ridiculous plot, bad special effects....Sharknado's got it all!!!
Speaking of hokey sci-fi movies and TV, I used to watch Creature Features on Saturday nights, as a kid.
Vincent Price, Roger Corman, Hammer Films, William Castle flicks.
Bad cinema at it best!!
Laughable special effects, hammy actors, frequent damsels in distress--bosoms heaving--classic!!
What more could a 7th grader ask for?
The modern remakes of most of these flicks are.....not good.

I loved those, too. I remember when I was about 8 or 9. Every Sunday morning, they had those creepy scary movies on. There was one movie - can't remember the name of it, or who was in it, even. But it was a black guy and a white guy, and they were sewn together. One half black, one half white. I remember they both woke up on the table, sewn together. That scared me so bad, I left my breakfast sitting on the floor and ran to the bathroom. I sat there in the bathroom until the movie ended. I was too afraid to even go change the channel! :lol:

I loved those, too. I remember when I was about 8 or 9. Every Sunday morning, they had those creepy scary movies on. There was one movie - can't remember the name of it, or who was in it, even. But it was a black guy and a white guy, and they were sewn together. One half black, one half white. I remember they both woke up on the table, sewn together. That scared me so bad, I left my breakfast sitting on the floor and ran to the bathroom. I sat there in the bathroom until the movie ended. I was too afraid to even go change the channel! :lol:
------------------

Ha-ha...that sounds familiar.....I'll google around and report my findings.
I'll bet it's an American International film.
BTW, how'd the AC problem turn out?

------------------

Ha-ha...that sounds familiar.....I'll google around and report my findings.
I'll bet it's an American International film.
BTW, how'd the AC problem turn out?

Cool!

And as far as the AC, we aren't really any better than we were. The AC guy came out and went through everything. With regards to the humidity issue, he adjusted the fan speed to lower, and said that'd help the humidity issue in the house. He also said he was going to replace some valve that would help keep the air cooler or something. I don't know. The electrician went through the house with a fine-toothed comb and found nothing. He did notice, while he stood here talking to my husband, that the lights were dimming off and on. He said that sounds to him like an outside power issue, something about water getting into the lines in the ground. We are waiting on Georgia Power to come out. We've been waiting for a few days. I may have to call tomorrow and not be so nice this time. :lol:

The Thing with Two Heads (1972) - IMDb Was the one with the two heads. I thought the bodies were sewn together but I could be wrong. Sheesh it was a million years ago. The other movie I was thinking of was Theatre of Blood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Talk about jacked up. Vincent Price takes this fat guy into his basement and ties him down to a table. He purees the dude's poodles and forcefeeds them to him through a funnel. Dang, I watched some messed up stuff when I was a kid. :lol:

The Thing with Two Heads (1972) - IMDb Was the one with the two heads. I thought the bodies were sewn together but I could be wrong. Dang, I watched some messed up stuff when I was a kid. :lol:

------------
Me, too.....luckily we turned out okay...sorta.
Look at this poster I found for "The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant" ......classic trashy movie poster...too funny.
http://cinemaknifefight.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/the-incredible-2-headed-transplant1.jpg

Last edited:
Currently i am watching Friends..How I Met Your Mother is the next thing i am gonna watch..

I am surprised Will & Grace was not on the list.

The writing was excellent and I haven't seen anything like it since it went off the air.

Back
Top Bottom