• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turks OK constitutional changes

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Turks OK constitutional changes -  News - MSN CA

I think this indicates the AKP has the edge in the next national election

Turks approved a package of 26 changes to the constitution Sunday, which the government says will help the country's bid to join the European Union.

But among the changes are several that the opposition fears will give the government more control over the judges on Turkey's top court, which rejected a government initiative to change the secular constitution with a rule seen by some as Islamic

The amendments include:

- Making the military more accountable to civilian courts.

- Giving immunity from prosecution to organizers of the 1980 military coup, who drafted the constitution changed by Sunday's vote.

- Allowing civil servants to strike.

- Raising to 17 from 11 the number of constitutional judges and giving parliament more say in their appointment.

The opposition suspects that last move will allow Erdogan to stack the top court, the Constitutional Court, with Islamic-leaning judges

The expansion in the number of constitutional judges I dont agree with

Sounds good. Back to the 7th century for another nation.

By most accounts the majority of the changes bring the Turkish constition to a more democratic version.

Better protection of minority rights, less military power in domestic politics, removal of immunity for the military in civilian courts. The EU I believe has viewed the majority of changes as being good for turkish democracy

Good and bad. It brings our Democracy more in line with the European Union. Not too sure about the expansion of the members in the constitutional court. Tammerlain, what do you think? And is it out of sync with other European democracies? I've been away and only just found out about any talk of constitutional changes in Turkey today. :mrgreen:

Good and bad. It brings our Democracy more in line with the European Union. Not too sure about the expansion of the members in the constitutional court. Tammerlain, what do you think? And is it out of sync with other European democracies? I've been away and only just found out about any talk of constitutional changes in Turkey today. :mrgreen:

The expansion in constitutional judges tends to allow for packing the court with judges the party in power at the time likes, which is generally not a good thing in my opinion. I think an introduction of term limits would have been better. Say a 10 year term limit that starts after the next federal election cycle, as a means to prevent abuse by the current party

Back
Top Bottom