• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turkish lawmakers give Erdogan sweeping new powers after failed coup

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Turkish lawmakers give Erdogan sweeping new powers after failed coup | Fox News

DEVELOPING: Turkish lawmakers declared a three-month state of emergency Thursday, overwhelmingly approving President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's request for sweeping new powers to expand a government crackdown after last week's attempt military coup.

Parliament voted 346-115 to approve the national state of emergency, which will give Erdogan the authority to extend detention times for suspects and issue decrees that have the force of law without parliamentary approval, among other powers.

Erdogan, who had been accused of autocratic conduct even before this week's crackdown on alleged opponents, says the state of emergency will counter threats to Turkish democracy.

Say hello to your newest Islamic dictator. Democracy is dead in Turkey.

European Convention on Human Rights suspended, allows him to kill off a few thousand oppenents as well.

Honestly... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the sheer ineptitude of the Coup and this expected reaction from Erdogan after... I wouldn't be surprised not if the whole thing was staged, but in some very covert means it was encouraged to happen, knowing it would fail.

I've known many Turks in my life, dated one, fantastic people, I am very sad for them.

I thought the same thing... Why do it while he's on vacation? So many things that Coup's are supposed to follow, like get control of ALL media, the parliament, airports, bridges, major roads etc.. None of it was done.. Makes one wonder.

Tim-

I thought the same thing... Why do it while he's on vacation? So many things that Coup's are supposed to follow, like get control of ALL media, the parliament, airports, bridges, major roads etc.. None of it was done.. Makes one wonder.

Tim-

When the Russian revolution started, most of the people who became famous for it weren't even aware. Lenin was skying somewhere when the damn thing started. The Tsar was in Crimea on vacation. Coups start when rulers aren't around.

When the Russian revolution started, most of the people who became famous for it weren't even aware. Lenin was skying somewhere when the damn thing started. The Tsar was in Crimea on vacation. Coups start when rulers aren't around.

Skiiing eh? Link please.
Nicholas was in Crimea? Link please.

Thanks,

Tim-

Skiiing eh? Link please.

Lenin returns to Russia from exile - Apr 16, 1917 - HISTORY.com

On April 16, 1917, Vladimir Lenin, leader of the revolutionary Bolshevik Party, returns to Petrograd after a decade of exile to take the reins of the Russian Revolution.

The revolution had started a month before Lenin showed up. He even recommended to an acquaintance that they go skiing there:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1916/dec/17ia.htm

I wonder how you are fixed up. It’s a cold flat, Maison Vincent, isn’t it? Do you go skiing? I strongly recommend it—it’s very good for the health. Go skiing in the mountains near Rocher de Naye.

Nicholas was in Crimea? Link please.

Thanks,

Tim-

Apologies, I got it mixed up with Crimea as his summer home, he was away visiting troops on the front. Which also supports the point that he wasn't even around when it started.

Lenin returns to Russia from exile - Apr 16, 1917 - HISTORY.com

The revolution had started a month before Lenin showed up. He even recommended to an acquaintance that they go skiing there:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1916/dec/17ia.htm

Apologies, I got it mixed up with Crimea as his summer home, he was away visiting troops on the front. Which also supports the point that he wasn't even around when it started.

Well, quite the leap on the skiing thing, but oh well, minutia is what it is.

Tim-

Honestly... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the sheer ineptitude of the Coup and this expected reaction from Erdogan after... I wouldn't be surprised not if the whole thing was staged, but in some very covert means it was encouraged to happen, knowing it would fail.

I've known many Turks in my life, dated one, fantastic people, I am very sad for them.

My thoughts exactly. This was far too poorly executed and was far too easily put down. Makes me wonder if it was a setup to give Erdogan the power that he wants.

Politicians from both parties are salivating over the chance to have total control if such an event happened in the US.

A chance to ban all guns, restrict free speech, deny any imagrints, oh the posibilites

A true conspiracy theory would be the CIA set this all up as a dry run for the US.

Back
Top Bottom