• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turkish Border Guards Kill 8 Syrian Refugees

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Eight Syrian refugees have been shot dead by Turkish border guards as they tried to escape war-torn northern Syria, a human rights watchdog has claimed.

Three children, four women and one man were killed on Saturday night, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It said a total of 60 Syrian refugees had been shot at the border since the start of the year.

Six of this weekend’s casualties were from the same family, said the observatory’s founder, Rami Abdelrahman. “I sent our activists to hospital there, we have video [of the corpses], but we haven’t published it because there are children [involved],” he said.

The Local Coordination Committees, a network of activists inside Syria, supported the claim, reporting that one of the children was as young as six.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...der-guards-kill-eight-syrian-refugees-reports

Interesting to see how fellow Muslim nations are treating Syrian refugees. Saudi Arabia to date has taken in 0 Syrian refugees.

Wouldn't these people assimilate easier into a country with similar culture & language as their own?

Many Islamic/Arab nations showed Syrian refugees great generosity; Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey come to mind. The death these refugees is indeed tragic, but it doesn't reflect Turkey's approach to the crisis. It must've been related to the threat of Kurdish militias or ISIS militants infiltrating Turkey.

As for the gulf states, yea, they're such a **** stain on humanity in the way they treated Syrian refugees, something that shouldn't really make the U.S feel better.

~.....Wouldn't these people assimilate easier into a country with similar culture & language as their own?
Saudi is about the last place any Syrian would want to go to. The language spoken there may be similar to that in Syria, the culture requires resetting one's wristwatch back about 1400 years.

~....... It must've been related to the threat of Kurdish militias or ISIS militants infiltrating Turkey......~
Turkey is so overloaded with the problem (yeah, they took in millions of refugees) that border guards probably by now don't make too much of a distinction any more before opening fire.

Of course the military has indignantly refuted the report, as has the foreign ministry. But I'm not holding my breath on any robust investigation being made into the incident.

Many Islamic/Arab nations showed Syrian refugees great generosity; Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, and Turkey come to mind. The death these refugees is indeed tragic, but it doesn't reflect Turkey's approach to the crisis. It must've been related to the threat of Kurdish militias or ISIS militants infiltrating Turkey.

As for the gulf states, yea, they're such a **** stain on humanity in the way they treated Syrian refugees, something that shouldn't really make the U.S feel better.

3 children, 4 women, and one man doesn't sound like Isis to me.
--------
Why should the US feel bad? That seems to be a recurring theme that people are saying these days.

Saudi is about the last place any Syrian would want to go to. The language spoken there may be similar to that in Syria, the culture requires resetting one's wristwatch back about 1400 years.

Hahaha. I've heard the same thing. The Religious Police in Saudi Arabia are a scary thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...der-guards-kill-eight-syrian-refugees-reports

Interesting to see how fellow Muslim nations are treating Syrian refugees. Saudi Arabia to date has taken in 0 Syrian refugees.

Wouldn't these people assimilate easier into a country with similar culture & language as their own?

Saudi Arabia is a Wahabbi state, the Syrians are Shi'ites. Asking SA to take them would be like asking 1950s Catholic Ireland to take in High Church Anglicans or Mormons to take in Jehovah's Witnesses.

Syria's neighbouring countries have shown incredible generosity over the last few years to those fleeing hostilities, in particular Countries such as Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan. The strain of the crisis is weighing heavily on infrastructure and public services, it's a terrible situation.

Regarding the OP, yes there's conflicting reports as to what happened and Turkish officials are denying the claims whilst others are stating the reports are accurate. If true, it's despicable. Frauke Petry would be so proud.

Saudi Arabia is a Wahabbi state, the Syrians are Shi'ites. Asking SA to take them would be like asking 1950s Catholic Ireland to take in High Church Anglicans or Mormons to take in Jehovah's Witnesses.

Only about 15% of Syria are Shiites. It's pretty much the same for Saudi Arabia itself.

Hahaha. I've heard the same thing. The Religious Police in Saudi Arabia are a scary thing.
The roots of fundamentalist Islamism and the extremism arising from it lie in Saudi. Not only that, they are promoted from there and exported.

Where the royal family may take an officially distant stance to such shenanigans, it has been closely in cahoots with the stone age Islam of Wahhabism ever since the forebears of the current ibn Sauds aligned themselves with the founder nearly 300 years ago. In the process turning an often enthusiastic blind eye to those Saudis of wealth and influence that have and still are actively funding the movement abroad. Fom the madrassas of Pakistan from which the Taliban sprang to the hate preachers in Western mosques that are instrumental in recruiting "locals" to join IS in Syria and Iraq or, more expediently, to go on terrorist rampages right here at home.

From AQ to the Taliban to IS, all find their ideological roots in what the Cairo Al-Azhar university (Sunni's most prestigious) calls a satanic faith.

To expect Syrians fleeing both Assad and IS atrocities to seek refuge in Saudi, would be like expecting Jews of Palestine in the 1930s and 1940s to seek refuge in Germany of that time.

Only about 15% of Syria are Shiites. It's pretty much the same for Saudi Arabia itself.
True enough, that's one of the points of gripe against Assad. The fact that the majority of the Syrian population are subjected to a minority elite's rule, ever since that came into being by France installing it as the more cooperative to its ambitions.

It doesn't make the Sunni majority in Syria supportive of Wahhabism though.

The roots of fundamentalist Islamism and the extremism arising from it lie in Saudi. Not only that, they are promoted from there and exported.

Where the royal family may take an officially distant stance to such shenanigans, it has been closely in cahoots with the stone age Islam of Wahhabism ever since the forebears of the current ibn Sauds aligned themselves with the founder nearly 300 years ago. In the process turning an often enthusiastic blind eye to those Saudis of wealth and influence that have and still are actively funding the movement abroad. Fom the madrassas of Pakistan from which the Taliban sprang to the hate preachers in Western mosques that are instrumental in recruiting "locals" to join IS in Syria and Iraq or, more expediently, to go on terrorist rampages right here at home.

From AQ to the Taliban to IS, all find their ideological roots in what the Cairo Al-Azhar university (Sunni's most prestigious) calls a satanic faith.

To expect Syrians fleeing both Assad and IS atrocities to seek refuge in Saudi, would be like expecting Jews of Palestine in the 1930s and 1940s to seek refuge in Germany of that time.

I can't understand why these wealthy Saudi families would sponsor terrorism in the West?

Didn't they become wealthy by the oil that they sold to us? That oil was worthless without western ingenuity creating a market for it. Who do they think is going to buy their oil if Europe and the U.S. are obliterated?
China, and Japan I guess. But it still doesn't make much sense to me.

Or a freedom loving nation like the US.

I can't understand why these wealthy Saudi families would sponsor terrorism in the West?

Didn't they become wealthy by the oil that they sold to us? That oil was worthless without western ingenuity creating a market for it. Who do they think is going to buy their oil if Europe and the U.S. are obliterated?
Looking for sense there is futile. Fanaticism born from religious fundamentalism has no room for it. Many of its sponsors detest the foreign presence upon their sacred soil.

They may drive Western cars and share all the modcoms, at heart they remained desert Bedouin. That's why that particular brand of religion could take root there while it gained no popularity in more developed and advanced parts of the Muslim world. Until, that is, its export started. Financed by just that oil.

haha Turkey has been hosting millions of refugees for years,be honest and don't pretend to care about those muslims

And no ,neither their culture nor their language are similar to mine and you need to learn about it before slandering a country

3 children, 4 women, and one man doesn't sound like Isis to me.
--------
Why should the US feel bad? That seems to be a recurring theme that people are saying these days.

Your own country started it

haha Turkey has been hosting millions of refugees for years,be honest and don't pretend to care about those muslims

And no ,neither their culture nor their language are similar to mine and you need to learn about it before slandering a country

So what else do you say about the refugees when you're talking with your friends and family? Care to repeat that here?

So what else do you say about the refugees when you're talking with your friends and family? Care to repeat that here?

We keep helping them,would you like to help them instead of showing your ignorance ?

So criticize your country for being their partner

Get out of the ME and stay out. Why is that so hard to understand? Keep your nose out of other people's business. Why in hell do you guys keep going back to that region, all puffed-up and better-than-thou and knowing what's good for them? Just stay the hell out. Why is that so hard to understand?

Get out of the ME and stay out. Why is that so hard to understand? Keep your nose out of other people's business. Why in hell do you guys keep going back to that region, all puffed-up and better-than-thou and knowing what's good for them? Just stay the hell out. Why is that so hard to understand?

Yeah, because there was a public vote, and the people voted to go screw around in the Mideast. Not.

Yeah, because there was a public vote, and the people voted to go screw around in the Mideast. Not.

Why do hey do it then? Why do American Presidents make war on Arab dictators?

Why do hey do it then? Why do American Presidents make war on Arab dictators?

Well, Bush and Cheney are a good example, and Obama too to some extent. It's about money Mal.
Bush and Cheney made money toppling Saddam, and Obama will receive some kind of financial compensation, cleverly disguised, when he leaves office.

The average American doesn't want us to be meddling in the ME by now. No one I know wants that.

Back
Top Bottom