• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turkish anger as German MPs prepare to vote on Armenian genocide

Looks like there is no beginning of a great "friendship":roll: .

The resolution passed the German parliament today (not unexpectedly) so now one will have to see what Turkish "stoutness" is made of.

Turkish anger as German MPs prepare to vote on Armenian genocide | World news | The Guardian

Good for the Germans. Hopefully they pass the bill.

This is what really pisses me off about the Turkish government--- their willingness to use any excuse they can think of to try and avoid taking any responsibility for the genocides committed in the 1920s and 1930s.

Normal wartime act my ass.

Good for the Germans. Hopefully they pass the bill.
They did. Today.

Turkish ambassador has been recalled to Ankara, denoting high diplomatic indignation. :roll:

This is what really pisses me off about the Turkish government--- their willingness to use any excuse they can think of to try and avoid taking any responsibility for the genocides committed in the 1920s and 1930s.
When consulting history, the whole genocide started in the late 1800s already.
Normal wartime act my ass.
It wasn't planned to the results of efficiency (pardon me) that the Nazis (finally) planned the holocaust, but planned it was.

Germans ? that is funny!

:applaud:applaud Good for Germany. Although its largely symbolic, I'm glad they are willing to officially recognize the horrible acts committed by Turkey.
It's been an ongoing thing in German parliament for some years, today was just the final reading.

The complicity of the Kaiserreich (and be it by doing nothing) was addressed as well in the process. Culmination was in the first years of WWI with many military and other German staff in Turkey being witness to the whole sordid affair.

Many (but far from all) sent demands to Berlin that intervention take place. Berlin preferred to keep silent.

German MPs recognise Armenian 'genocide' amid Turkish fury

German MPs recognise Armenian 'genocide' amid Turkish fury - BBC News

The German parliament has approved a resolution declaring that the mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks during World War One was a "genocide".

Armenians say up to 1.5 million of their people died in the atrocities of 1915. Turkey says the toll was much lower and rejects the term "genocide".

The timing is awkward, as the EU needs Turkey to help stem the migrant influx.

Turkish president Recip Tayyip Erdogan said the resolution risked harming ties between the countries.

Armenian Genocide - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

In 1915, leaders of the Turkish government set in motion a plan to expel and massacre Armenians living in the Ottoman Empire. Though reports vary, most sources agree that there were about 2 million Armenians in the Ottoman Empire at the time of the massacre. By the early 1920s, when the massacres and deportations finally ended, some 1.5 million of Turkey’s Armenians were dead, with many more forcibly removed from the country. Today, most historians call this event a genocide–a premeditated and systematic campaign to exterminate an entire people. However, the Turkish government does not acknowledge the enormity or scope of these events. Despite pressure from Armenians and social justice advocates throughout the world, it is still illegal in Turkey to talk about what happened to Armenians during this era.
The Roots of Genocide: The Ottoman Empire

The Armenian people have made their home in the Caucasus region of Eurasia for some 3,000 years. For some of that time, the kingdom of Armenia was an independent entity–at the beginning of the 4th century AD, for instance, it became the first nation in the world to make Christianity its official religion–but for the most part, control of the region shifted from one empire to another. During the 15th century, Armenia was absorbed into the mighty Ottoman Empire.

Germans ? that is funny!
I'd say that some eventually having had the guts to deal with their own distasteful pasts where others seem unable to muster the courage is hardly funny.

In this issue Turkey remains a morally third world country.

I'd say that some eventually having had the guts to deal with their own distasteful pasts where others seem unable to muster the courage is hardly funny.

In this issue Turkey remains a morally third world country.

we never burned anyone.Holocaust is their own crime

They did. Today.

Turkish ambassador has been recalled to Ankara, denoting high diplomatic indignation. :roll:

When consulting history, the whole genocide started in the late 1800s already.It wasn't planned to the results of efficiency (pardon me) that the Nazis (finally) planned the holocaust, but planned it was.

True that. I was referring in specific to the actions in the middle of the Great War and the 1920s because those are the years where things really got kickstarted in regards to trying to wipe out the Armenians and other such ethnic groups.

During the Caucauses Campaign, the Russians would routinely capture Turkish soldiers who'd taken part in various.... Incidents.

And yeah, I bet Erdogan is pissy over the Germans signing the bill.

we never burned anyone.Holocaust is their own crime
I know you're brainwashed beyond any capacity for critical thought and I know that the majority of Turks shares your plight. I also know that the overblown concept of Turkish honour and pride extends to the point that such Turks that actually address the genocide of Armenians face jail and (from militants) death.

But that cannot expunge the fact that Turkey dishonored itself at the time and will continue doing that as long as it does not come to terms with that particular aspect of its past.

Your attempt to try the "well look what they did" tack is extremely childish and serves only as an example of how childish most of your people are in this respect.

Germany addressed its past and that made it become responsibly mature. Turkey has a long way to go on that road before it shows "honor".

Yeah, people seem to love playing with fire don't they.
One can't really blame Medusa for her stance, she's been subjected to a national brainwashing campaign that started way before she was even born.

Most Turks share that predicament.

Many Turks that have lived in Germany for decades (heck, some even born German) that had access to objective historical accounts not available in Turkey, share the same predicament.

A Member of German Parliament that has Turkish roots has been bombarded with hate mails by the very same people, calling him a traitor to Turkishness (upon his pro-resolution stance becoming known).

Turkey is making itself look really bad by protesting this. Lots of countries have committed atrocities in the past against entire groups of people. Germany certainly. My own country of the US. But both the US and Germany have at least acknowledged the evil of what they did. When you adamantly ignore your own countries historical evils you look as though you didn't learn from it.

Re: German MPs recognise Armenian 'genocide' amid Turkish fury

Funny there is no such initiative concerning the French crimes against humanity in Algeria.

Recognition of historical events move at a glaciers pace.

Last edited:
One can't really blame Medusa for her stance, she's been subjected to a national brainwashing campaign that started way before she was even born.

Most Turks share that predicament.

Many Turks that have lived in Germany for decades (heck, some even born German) that had access to objective historical accounts not available in Turkey, share the same predicament.

A Member of German Parliament that has Turkish roots has been bombarded with hate mails by the very same people, calling him a traitor to Turkishness (upon his pro-resolution stance becoming known).
The same attitude of denial is rampant thru Japan and ingrained in the textbooks as well.

Turkey is making itself look really bad by protesting this. Lots of countries have committed atrocities in the past against entire groups of people. Germany certainly. My own country of the US. But both the US and Germany have at least acknowledged the evil of what they did. When you adamantly ignore your own countries historical evils you look as though you didn't learn from it.
I'll go further in that you don't just look that way.

Re: German MPs recognise Armenian 'genocide' amid Turkish fury

Chagos
My apologies- I missed it. Should be merged with your thread. I was Johnny come lately.
No prob.

I've asked for a merger.

Back
Top Bottom