• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turkey's army: one of the best-trained in the world

Can they beat the Taliban fighting with sticks and IEDs?

Erdigan purged the upper levels of officers who wanted a Turkey to remain a secular government, plus he purged the judiciary of secular loyalists.

The failed coup was a win for radical Muslims and a loss for the USA.

Interesting. I never would have guessed they had the second largest standing army in the world.

the beauties of conscription, unfortunately their quality of equipment and training is way below the US. Their pilots are good but, we know their game, we trained them.

What does Erdogan take us for idiots, if the Turkish army had wanted to throw out Erdogan then they would have, as they are the second largest army in NATO, what we saw on the streets were a rabble, not the well trained army they are, Erdogan is taking away Turkish democracy piece by piece and hood winking the Turks

Interesting. I never would have guessed they had the second largest standing army in the world.
Second largest in NATO, not the world. One of the best trained in the world. (According to the article)

But, to your point, it surprised me too that they are even the second largest in NATO.

The Turkish Army is huge and has been for a long time. Until quite recently though it was rather badly equipped almost exclusively with cast-off obsolete equipment supplied as aid from the U.S. and Germany - much of it of World War II vintage. In the last 15-20 years though Turkey has made enormous and (unlike say India) largely successful efforts not only to modernize its military but to do so with increasing amounts of domestically produced kit. They now produce everything from tanks, armored vehicles and artillery to radar, missiles and electro-optics.

I own a Turkish made SAR B6 pistol (CZ-75) clone that is quite nice and was a hell of a value.

Second largest in NATO, not the world. One of the best trained in the world. (According to the article)

But, to your point, it surprised me too that they are even the second largest in NATO.

Mea Culpa.

In the late 80's I trained with six Turkish Navy students at the fleet sonar school in San Diego. One officer and five enlisted.

Very nice people, but the officers (at that time) were the only people allowed to repair anything. It is understandable since all five of the enlisted were not very good at anything technical. Our instructors decided to NOT pair us up together anymore when the guy I was paired with did not know the first thing about how to troubleshoot the SQS-56 Sonar system, nor any of the auxiliary equipment on the FFG-7 class vessels. They were completely lost.

When they graduated, their certificates said "attended training at Fleet Sonar School, San Diego, CA."...and our graduation party at the Body Shop was legendary.

Their army, whoever, have always been world class historically, and never afraid to go eyeball-to-eyeball with their enemy.

In the late 80's I trained with six Turkish Navy students at the fleet sonar school in San Diego. One officer and five enlisted.

Very nice people, but the officers (at that time) were the only people allowed to repair anything. It is understandable since all five of the enlisted were not very good at anything technical. Our instructors decided to NOT pair us up together anymore when the guy I was paired with did not know the first thing about how to troubleshoot the SQS-56 Sonar system, nor any of the auxiliary equipment on the FFG-7 class vessels. They were completely lost.

When they graduated, their certificates said "attended training at Fleet Sonar School, San Diego, CA."...and our graduation party at the Body Shop was legendary.

Their army, whoever, have always been world class historically, and never afraid to go eyeball-to-eyeball with their enemy.

Not an uncommon experience with conscript military's anywhere in the world I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom