• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Turkey declares Israel ‘central threat’

Demon of Light

Bohemian Revolutionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Israel has been declared "a central threat to Turkey" in a policy paper written by Turkey's National Security Council.

At the same time, the security council removed Syria, Bulgaria, Georgia and Armenia, as well as Iran, from the list of countries that pose a threat to Turkey, according to Turkish media outlets cited by Israeli media late on Saturday.

"The region's instability stems from Israeli actions and policy, which could lead to an arms race in the Middle East," the policy paper, known as The Red Book, reportedly said, according to Israel's Channel 10.

Source: Jewish Telegraphic Agency

This development should not come as much of a surprise to anyone. Such shifts in the balance of power do not bode well for the region. I am curious what this will mean for NATO.

I expect many calls in the US to expell Turkey from Nato, along with some from various other European nations. I could not predict if that would gain traction though throughout Nato. I do think if Turkey is expelled from Nato it would lead to the eventual dissolving of Nato as an organization (something else would form in its place.

forming better relations with the countries boardering it will be benificial economically for Turkey though. It has had a good run economically lately and this should only push it further. Its construction companies are doing work across the region, and should the "Silk Road" be reformed it will be very benificia for Turkey being the heart of asian to europe transportation networks

This decision is just the latest in a progressive path consistent with Turkey's engaging in a strategic refocusing of its relationships. For now, I don't believe Turkey's strategic shift will lead to Turkey's departure from NATO. At this time, Turkey still wants to maintain links to the West. However, were Turkey to shift too far in Iran's direction, by that I mean to the extent that it compromises NATO members' interests, a genuine problem could arise for the alliance.

There is no strategic shift. There is no Israeli central threat.
This has already been diffused as a rumor and nothing more. Just a select few people trying to benefit from the current disagreements.

The NATO Treaty contains no provision authorizing expulsion of member states.

Back
Top Bottom