• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TurboTax is not deductible.

craig

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Why is that? I think it is corruption. TurboTax advertised all through the NFL play offs.

Um... what?
Are tax preparation fees deductible in 2022?

According to the IRS, "unless you're self-employed, tax preparation fees are no longer deductible in tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. Self-employed taxpayers can still write off their tax prep fees as a business expense."

Are tax preparation fees deductible in 2022?

According to the IRS, "unless you're self-employed, tax preparation fees are no longer deductible in tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. Self-employed taxpayers can still write off their tax prep fees as a business expense."
It was subject to the 2% aging floor so few could take it anyway. I can't recall doing a return where it mattered.

The irs needs to create their own free software

Why is that? I think it is corruption. TurboTax advertised all through the NFL playoffs.

What in the world are you talking about? My mom uses TurboTax because they do all of the work for her at no cost. There is a TurboTax office in Gainesville, but she never needed to go in it because everything is done online. They advertise with the hope people do not figure out there is a free way to file taxes and join the company to buy its paid plans.

Every NFL playoff gamer is sponsored by TurboTax. All of the networks showing games repeatedly made that very clear.

I have used Turbotax for the last four years. This year it took 30min and cost nothing. If I paid for the service in prior years it was never more than $30 (compared to using a CPA in prior years for ~$175).

If your taxes are complicated YMMV, but for straightforward returns it's a great service. Takes all the stress out of the chore.

Intuit lobbies the govt to make our tax code complicated

I have used Turbotax for the last four years. This year it took 30min and cost nothing. If I paid for the service in prior years it was never more than $30 (compared to using a CPA in prior years for ~$175).

If your taxes are complicated YMMV, but for straightforward returns it's a great service. Takes all the stress out of the chore.

What is YMMV?

The only way to take all stress out of doing the chore is have no taxes to pay - and knowing that when you file TT files your returns. But having TT do all the work certainly takes all the stress of going to a CPA out of it!

Intuit lobbies the government to make our tax code complicated.

Where is your evidence of that? TT software does nothing but make everything easier, whether you owe the IRS anything or not.

What is YMMV?

The only way to take all stress out of doing the chore is have no taxes to pay - and knowing that when you file TT files your returns. But having TT do all the work certainly takes all the stress of going to a CPA out of it!

Where is your evidence of that? TT software does nothing but make everything easier, whether you owe the IRS anything or not.

Intuit lobbies the govt to make our tax code complicated
I haven't seen any evidence of that, but they have lobbied to prevent states and the feds from preparing what are essentially pre-completed tax returns and mailing those out to taxpayers. Most of us just have info already reported on 1099s or W-2s, etc. IRS has the data, as do many states, and can accurately complete i.e. every 1040EZ. The idea is send those out, the taxpayer reviews it, if there's nothing to add (e.g. charity) sign it, send it in, or maybe go to IRS.gov and enter a secure code corresponding to your tax return, approve it online. All that is easily doable right now.

Intuit apparently spends a lot of effort to defeat THOSE efforts.

What is YMMV?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary ;)

For those of you that do your own taxes and haven't done them yet, Credit Karma came out with 100% free federal and tax filing software. They sold it last year to Cash App, but it's still 100% free to file your federal and state taxes using their web site, but you do need to download their app - but that's all. I only open that app during tax season.

https://cash.app/taxes (if I am not allowed to post that link, Mods - please feel free to delete - I have NO affiliation with that site, it's just the one I've used the past 3 or 4 years with no hidden filing fees at all)

Back
Top Bottom