• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tulsa Homeowner Hogties Attempted Burglar

Crosscheck

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
TULSA, Oklahoma - A burglary suspect got quite the surprise Wednesday morning. Police say Robert Cole tried to break into a home, but ended up hogtied in the front yard.
The picture is making its way around the Internet. Police say Cole was bum-rushed and hogtied by the homeowner, after he tried to break in to the house in the 2600 block of East 54th Street North.
"He's like a superhero," said Denay Houston.
She said she is awfully proud of her husband and how this would-be burglar ended up.
"I got adrenaline running through me like nobody's business right now, and being nine months pregnant doesn't help any," Houston said.
It all started when the Houstons heard the glass break outside their daughter's bedroom around 6 o'clock Wednesday morning.
"That folding chair was in her bedroom, shattered glass all over the place, and I said, 'A raccoon didn't do that.' And he was just like, 'Oh God,'" Houston said.
They heard rustling inside the garage and Houston's husband went to the front door.
"And then he waited for him to come out and then he bum-rushed him," she said.
He did more than just bum-rush him--her husband tied Robert Cole's hands and feet behind his back; hogtied him.
"I was like, 'That's my man!' I was really proud of him," Houston said.
As soon as Cole was tied up, Houston said her husband turned to her and said he had to leave, had to go work. That's why we couldn't talk to him today.

The video is great. What a guy. Catch a burglar, tie him up and then head off to work even before the police arrive.

Tulsa Homeowner Hogties Attempted Burglar - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Lucky for the crook, the homeowner 'only' hogtied him. ;)

Lucky for the crook, the homeowner 'only' hogtied him. ;)

I'll say. A daughter and a 9-month pregnant wife in the house? And in Oklahoma? The crook is lucky he isn't dead.

:lamo :lamo :lamo

I love the wife's comment
"I was like, 'That's my man!' I was really proud of him,"
That guy is a true protector and provider all in the same day.

I must admit that never heard the expression "Bum rush him". I understand he tackled him. Bum rush must be a regional thing.

I must admit that never heard the expression "Bum rush him". I understand he tackled him. Bum rush must be a regional thing.

Used to hear it years ago from older men, not quite sure of the origins. Maybe "Rush him and knock him on his bum", or something. Or from bouncers/doormen rushing a bum out of a nice hotel/bar/restaurant/etc.

The video is great. What a guy. Catch a burglar, tie him up and then head off to work even before the police arrive.

Tulsa Homeowner Hogties Attempted Burglar - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Very awesome. That's what you call a man.

Used to hear it years ago from older men, not quite sure of the origins. Maybe "Rush him and knock him on his bum", or something. Or from bouncers/doormen rushing a bum out of a nice hotel/bar/restaurant/etc.

This might help.
The Mavens' Word of the Day

Could be, we use it here in La. at least in my area of the state. Usually here though it means every able person rushes the offender and incapacitates him.

Especially since he came in through the daughter's room. I definitely would have shot him. So would most people.
I would use the two foot rule in the front of the house, the burglar survives within two feet and will be allowed to retreat, coming through any family member's room is an automatic shot dead in the window sill. That's provided I see no other aggression from that burgler, if I see the person so much as reach in an area where a weapon may be concealed or if that person has weapon in hand I'm shooting.

I would use the two foot rule in the front of the house, the burglar survives within two feet and will be allowed to retreat, coming through any family member's room is an automatic shot dead in the window sill. That's provided I see no other aggression from that burgler, if I see the person so much as reach in an area where a weapon may be concealed or if that person has weapon in hand I'm shooting.

If he enters through the front of the house I might let him live depending on the circumstances, but there's no retreat. He's staying until the police come to pick his ass up. If he decides to try anything before the police arrive, he's catching a bullet. A 38 SPL to the shin bone or gut would not be a pleasant experience.

That's a cute story with a happy ending.

One wonders what the guy's intentions were -- certainly not just to burgle a house at 6 AM in the morning. I hope he's charged with attempted home invasion, which I would imagine is more serious.

If he enters through the front of the house I might let him live depending on the circumstances, but there's no retreat. He's staying until the police come to pick his ass up. If he decides to try anything before the police arrive, he's catching a bullet. A 38 SPL to the shin bone or gut would not be a pleasant experience.
I'm not going to back down, there's an issue with "shooting during retreat" in Louisiana, I probably "would" be considered in the right during a defense but it's iffy. If I remember correctly I must allow for a retreat once engaged, but that won't stop me from keeping eyes on the fleeing suspect in the time it takes police to arrive, I'm certainly not letting the jackass try to end around me.

I'm not going to back down, there's an issue with "shooting during retreat" in Louisiana, I probably "would" be considered in the right during a defense but it's iffy. If I remember correctly I must allow for a retreat once engaged, but that won't stop me from keeping eyes on the fleeing suspect in the time it takes police to arrive, I'm certainly not letting the jackass try to end around me.

I'm not 100% sure what the law is here in Texas. All I know is that his ass is staying right there until police arrive if he wants to avoid a trip to the hospital.

He'll probably get sued, because the burgler got rope burns on his wrists.

If this was how more criminals were dealt with, we would have less criminals.

And it's also hilarious.

If this was how more criminals were dealt with, we would have less criminals.

And it's also hilarious.

He will be out in a couple years. Doing the same thing to someone elses home.
Should have hogtied him and dug a deep hole.

Back
Top Bottom