• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tucson City Council bans sale of high-capacity guns at TCC

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Tucson City Council bans sale of high-capacity guns at TCC | Government and politics | tucson.com

This change really isn't going to make much difference because gun shows have already pretty much abandoned the Civic Center for various locations elsewhere in the city and county but it just goes to show the continuing level of stupid in the Tucson City Council.

Any weapon capable of firing 10 or more rounds can no longer be sold at the Tucson Convention Center.

The Tucson City Council voted unanimously Wednesday night to add more restrictions on private gun sales at the city-owned venue.

This is another example of a law or regulation that does NOTHING to reduce crime or promote the general welfare of the city, state or nation. It's nothing more than politicians trying to get their name in the paper.

Tucson City Council bans sale of high-capacity guns at TCC | Government and politics | tucson.com

This change really isn't going to make much difference because gun shows have already pretty much abandoned the Civic Center for various locations elsewhere in the city and county but it just goes to show the continuing level of stupid in the Tucson City Council.

This is another example of a law or regulation that does NOTHING to reduce crime or promote the general welfare of the city, state or nation. It's nothing more than politicians trying to get their name in the paper.

Education is key. All of these liberal cities with horrible gun problems and strict gun laws need to be shaped by education. Detroit, Chicago, DC, New Orleans, NYC, Compton, LA, Boston, Baltimore etc...all need better education for the inner cities. These gun laws make no difference. Take Chicago for instance. Some of the most gun deaths in the nation and it's the hardest city to legally buy a gun.

Education is key. All of these liberal cities with horrible gun problems and strict gun laws need to be shaped by education. Detroit, Chicago, DC, New Orleans, NYC, Compton, LA, Boston, Baltimore etc...all need better education for the inner cities. These gun laws make no difference. Take Chicago for instance. Some of the most gun deaths in the nation and it's the hardest city to legally buy a gun.

To be fair, how effective can a law be that ends at the city line? I doubt anyone in the city seriously thought a city law would change the availability of guns, probably they just wanted to put another arrow in the prosecution's quiver, something that might add a year or two to a sentence.

To be fair, how effective can a law be that ends at the city line? I doubt anyone in the city seriously thought a city law would change the availability of guns, probably they just wanted to put another arrow in the prosecution's quiver, something that might add a year or two to a sentence.

That's a great theory. However most crimes are taking place inside the inner cities so it's 50% of a theory.

It's not even that. This rule only applies to the civic center which is a city facility. There are still gun shows at, for example, the Sabbar Shrine right in the middle of town and that show isn't restricted.

That's the other part of this that's ridiculous. There must be 30 dedicated gun stores in the city and bunches of other pawn shops and sporting goods retailers who sell guns. This doesn't effect them either.

This new rule is the equivalent of banning pork chops at vegetarian restaurants. It accomplishes absolutely nothing but the 100% Democrat (and fully entrenched) city council continues to throw stones at anyone and any thing that they perceive to be contrary to their agenda.

That's a great theory. However most crimes are taking place inside the inner cities so it's 50% of a theory.

I know. I'm just saying that maybe, if a conviction can't be got on an armed robbery for whatever reason, the gun charge might put the guy away. Or just add to a sentence.
Sounds like desperation, I know, but I'm a long way removed from the situation and just guessing.

A city that has a massive illegal immigration problem and is a gateway for the illegal drug trade is concerning itself about high cap magazines? The will probably be as effective as the drug bans or the restrictions on illegal immigration.

Yay...look at us...we are DOING something!!!

A city that has a massive illegal immigration problem and is a gateway for the illegal drug trade is concerning itself about high cap magazines? The will probably be as effective as the drug bans or the restrictions on illegal immigration.

Yay...look at us...we are DOING something!!!
yeah, they should be encouraging the sale of high cap magazines....what with all of the illegal drug trade and all.

how's yer foot feel now?

yeah, they should be encouraging the sale of high cap magazines....what with all of the illegal drug trade and all.

how's yer foot feel now?
I dont know...can you tell me how many shootings and violent criminal activities this even IMPACTS? Hell...even in New York their Police Chief...a strong supporter of gun bans, stated that of the 1300 rounds fired in one year in criminal activities THREE could be attributed to rifles and NONE could be attributed to ARs with extended magazines.

I dont know...can you tell me how many shootings and violent criminal activities this even IMPACTS?
Hurr-durr....since it doesn't effect anything and will be challenged in court (cause our wise GOP nuts in phoenix won't allow municipalities to go beyond their guidance)....the answer is none. But then the TCC knows this, it is called a symbolic move. But you see, I answered yer point....while you ignore mine.
Hell...even in New York their Police Chief...a strong supporter of gun bans, stated that of the 1300 rounds fired in one year in criminal activities THREE could be attributed to rifles and NONE could be attributed to ARs with extended magazines.
Which is countered by the evidence that like the federal ban in the 90's, HCM's were used in greater numbers in weapons other than "AR's".

But again, lets get back to yer pointy headed question, in cities with lots of "drug trade" there should not be restrictions on HCM's....right? Cus, like that would be an impingement on yer rights to play cop....yeah?

Hurr-durr....since it doesn't effect anything and will be challenged in court (cause our wise GOP nuts in phoenix won't allow municipalities to go beyond their guidance)....the answer is none. But then the TCC knows this, it is called a symbolic move. But you see, I answered yer point....while you ignore mine.Which is countered by the evidence that like the federal ban in the 90's, HCM's were used in greater numbers in weapons other than "AR's".

But again, lets get back to yer pointy headed question, in cities with lots of "drug trade" there should not be restrictions on HCM's....right? Cus, like that would be an impingement on yer rights to play cop....yeah?
No. The ban on high capacity magazines is an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms as a member of the militia as per the specific verbiage in the amendment. And the comment made was not to imply people should be leading the charge against the illegal drug trade but rather the law is rather foolish in light of the fact that they cant stop drugs and people from pouring over the borders. I thought you were smart enough to understand that.

No. The ban on high capacity magazines is an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms as a member of the militia as per the specific verbiage in the amendment.
In March 2015 the federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the magazine capacity restriction, ruling that it does not violate the Second Amendment.
And the comment made was not to imply people should be leading the charge against the illegal drug trade but rather the law is rather foolish in light of the fact that they cant stop drugs and people from pouring over the borders. I thought you were smart enough to understand that.
You make even less sense now, the ban on the sale of HCM would not ABSOLUTELY stop anything....no law does. You are creating a false expectation....straw argument.....and you should be smart and honest enough to know that you shouldn't, but apparently....you aint.

actually this could be unconstitutional. I wonder if someone will challenge it in court.

actually this could be unconstitutional. I wonder if someone will challenge it in court.

It's highly unlikely that it's in any way unlawful. The civic center is city property and they can make the rules for that property. If they had opted to institute a citywide ban that would be another thing.

It's highly unlikely that it's in any way unlawful. The civic center is city property and they can make the rules for that property. If they had opted to institute a citywide ban that would be another thing.

it is a public place owned by the public. they are still under the restriction of the constitution in what they can and can't do.
the civic center is not owned by the city.

In March 2015 the federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the magazine capacity restriction, ruling that it does not violate the Second Amendment. You make even less sense now, the ban on the sale of HCM would not ABSOLUTELY stop anything....no law does. You are creating a false expectation....straw argument.....and you should be smart and honest enough to know that you shouldn't, but apparently....you aint.
And when a law stops nothing...the purpose in passing it is.........

I completely understand that judges are acting in a manner that is unconstitutional. Anyone that acts in a manner that implies or believes that the 2nd Amendment was written to cover personal defense is either dishonest or a fool.

And when a law stops nothing...the purpose in passing it is.........
yur conflatin' 2 differen't comments, my last response was that no law can absolutely stop anything, it is dumb to make such a demand or comment.

I completely understand that judges are acting in a manner that is unconstitutional.
Says the poster who is opposed by circuit and SC court justices.
Anyone that acts in a manner that implies or believes that the 2nd Amendment was written to cover personal defense is either dishonest or a fool.
You can see it coming from some in this thread right now.

yur conflatin' 2 differen't comments, my last response was that no law can absolutely stop anything, it is dumb to make such a demand or comment.

Says the poster who is opposed by circuit and SC court justices.You can see it coming from some in this thread right now.
I understand you advocate for laws that do nothing.

And I understand that the courts are acting in a manner that is unconstitutional. You dont honestly believe that the 2nd Amendment was written to protect the right of self defense, do you? Be honest.

it is a public place owned by the public. they are still under the restriction of the constitution in what they can and can't do.
the civic center is not owned by the city.

Civic centers can indeed be owned by the city.

Civic centers can indeed be owned by the city.

It is owned by the public not the city. it was built by the public with public dollars.

I understand you advocate for laws that do nothing.
No, actually, you don't.

And I understand that the courts are acting in a manner that is unconstitutional. You dont honestly believe that the 2nd Amendment was written to protect the right of self defense, do you? Be honest.
Since you are constantly dealing in imprecise language, I'm going to answer this ambiguous bit of nonsense.

It is owned by the public not the city. it was built by the public with public dollars.

Okay, whatever, not worth trying to split hairs with you.

No, actually, you don't.

Since you are constantly dealing in imprecise language, I'm going to answer this ambiguous bit of nonsense.
Yes...you do. And there is nothing vague in the question. There is also nothing vague in your answer. Your refusal to answer speaks volumes.

Back
Top Bottom