• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tucker Carlson villainizes journalists on his top-rated show. Then the threats pour in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"...he has increasingly found fodder in criticizing lesser-known media figures whom he presents to his audience as symbols of liberalism run amok. And a subset of viewers are inspired to personally harass those journalists with threatening messages. Los Angeles Times columnist Virginia Heffernan told The Post that she contacted local police and filed a report with the Federal Bureau of Investigation — mentioning Carlson by name — after a Feb. 8 segment on his show took aim at a column she published three days earlier. ...Heffernan said she received waves of harassing and threatening messages, including letters mailed to her home address and a text message to her phone from a sender indicating a knowledge of where she lived. The text message in particular spooked her, and her local police department took it seriously. Officers drove past her house and around her neighborhood multiple times, she said.

In early March, New York Times technology and digital culture reporter Taylor Lorenz took note on Twitter of International Women’s Day by urging her followers to support female journalists and raising concerns about the online harassment she and other women in the profession have experienced. Carlson decided to devote a segment of his show to Lorenz’s complaint — in particular highlighting her claim that online harassment had “destroyed” her life, which he mocked. Days later, Lorenz shared on Twitter an email she had received in the aftermath of the show, repeatedly urging her to “kill yourself." “It’s not just mean tweets,” said Lorenz’s friend, video producer Sara Pearl Kenigsberg. “It’s death threats. It’s people trying to dox her, or figuring out where she lives or her family situation, or contacting and harassing her family. It’s very scary.” (Lorenz was not made available for an interview.)

Murray Carpenter and Tristan Spinski, two Maine-based journalists with relatively small online profiles, declined to comment for this story when asked about the harassment they received in July, after Carlson named them on his show and told his audience that they planned to reveal the location of his Maine home in a story for the Times. At the time, both Carpenter and Spinski told Post media critic Erik Wemple that they were forced to call law enforcement. Spinski, a freelance photographer, appeared to get the worst of it — there was an attempted break-in at his house following the segment."

Link

Tucker Carlson is trying to bully journalists into silence. Interesting that when demonstrators once appeared at his house, Fox News condemned the action. Now, they, themselves, are paying someone to promote it, and worse.

Last edited:
The guy is such a piece of work. The same ones who love Trump, love him which tells you all you need to know about what they value. Hilary was right about the basketful!

The lack of civility is getting into dangerous territory. Some of Tucker's comments are extremely concerning.

His undermining of covid protections all last year leading into his brewing attempt to wage war on the vaccine is super dangerous.

These guys have no bottom anymore. They understand the buttons on their audience and they just can’t stop pushing them.

The guy is such a piece of work. The same ones who love Trump, love him which tells you all you need to know about what they value. Hilary was right about the basketful!
Her 'deplorables' characterization was a mistake. She knew it and didn't repeat it.

Wow, what a hypocritical piece. I wonder how many death threats he and his family members will get as a result of the Washington Post "taking aim" at him here.

Politically, maybe. But she was right. In fact, she undercounted.
I don't think either side should be name calling, whether they think they're right or not. Hillary got into the mud on that one.

His undermining of covid protections all last year leading into his brewing attempt to wage war on the vaccine is super dangerous.

These guys have no bottom anymore. They understand the buttons on their audience and they just can’t stop pushing them.

The only way he stops is if the ad money dries up! I don't know who advertises on his show but this latest conspiracy stuff about the vaccine is dangerous and irresponsible and the companies that finance that are complicit.

The lack of civility is getting into dangerous territory. Some of Tucker's comments are extremely concerning.
They should be, because they are true

I don't think either side should be name calling, whether they think they're right or not. Hillary got into the mud on that one.

I disagree, I think she was being honest and in our society non white non males get punished for that.

That conservative judge that ruled on his libel case that there was no libel because it was perfectly okay for him to lie to his viewers on air, emboldened the shit out of Tucker. And now this is where we are where Tucker is doling out tacit instructions to his feeble minded viewers.

I disagree, I think she was being honest and in our society non white non males get punished for that.
Then Tucker is just being honest as well. See how that works?

Wow, what a hypocritical piece. I wonder how many death threats he and his family members will get as a result of the Washington Post "taking aim" at him here.

You worried the bully might be bullied?

"...he has increasingly found fodder in criticizing lesser-known media figures whom he presents to his audience as symbols of liberalism run amok. And a subset of viewers are inspired to personally harass those journalists with threatening messages. Los Angeles Times columnist Virginia Heffernan told The Post that she contacted local police and filed a report with the Federal Bureau of Investigation — mentioning Carlson by name — after a Feb. 8 segment on his show took aim at a column she published three days earlier. ...Heffernan said she received waves of harassing and threatening messages, including letters mailed to her home address and a text message to her phone from a sender indicating a knowledge of where she lived. The text message in particular spooked her, and her local police department took it seriously. Officers drove past her house and around her neighborhood multiple times, she said.

In early March, New York Times technology and digital culture reporter Taylor Lorenz took note on Twitter of International Women’s Day by urging her followers to support female journalists and raising concerns about the online harassment she and other women in the profession have experienced. Carlson decided to devote a segment of his show to Lorenz’s complaint — in particular highlighting her claim that online harassment had “destroyed” her life, which he mocked. Days later, Lorenz shared on Twitter an email she had received in the aftermath of the show, repeatedly urging her to “kill yourself." “It’s not just mean tweets,” said Lorenz’s friend, video producer Sara Pearl Kenigsberg. “It’s death threats. It’s people trying to dox her, or figuring out where she lives or her family situation, or contacting and harassing her family. It’s very scary.” (Lorenz was not made available for an interview.)

Murray Carpenter and Tristan Spinski, two Maine-based journalists with relatively small online profiles, declined to comment for this story when asked about the harassment they received in July, after Carlson named them on his show and told his audience that they planned to reveal the location of his Maine home in a story for the Times. At the time, both Carpenter and Spinski told Post media critic Erik Wemple that they were forced to call law enforcement. Spinski, a freelance photographer, appeared to get the worst of it — there was an attempted break-in at his house following the segment."

Link

Tucker Carlson is trying to bully journalists into silence. Interesting that when demonstrators once appeared at his house, Fox News condemned the action. Now, they, themselves, are paying someone to promote it, and worse.
Doxing and harassing people is par for the course for journos. I have no sympathy for them getting a taste of their own medicine.

Banal both sidesing with no context or nuance? YES. I do indeed see how that works.

Carlson is bullying individual journalists. Are you trying to make the case that Hillary bullied 70 million Republicans? These things aren't remotely comparable.

She was right on that one she didnt even say all trump supporters either.

We need more direct action against ****er.

Doxing and harassing people is par for the course for journos. I have no sympathy for them getting a taste of their own medicine.

Boy, is this rich in irony. It is Carlson who is encouraging the doxing and harassing.

Boy, is this rich in irony. It is Carlson who is encouraging the doxing and harassing.
Political Leaning: Communist
I was going to make an effort at trying to reason with you, but then I saw this. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

For the curious, here's the piece from Virginia Heffernan that Carlson (and thousands of other people) took issue with. In it, she struggles with whether or not she should thank her neighbors for shoveling her driveway for her, comparing them to Hezbollah and Nazi sympathizers because they happened to vote for Trump.

Fortunately, people who are inclined to make death threats are not big readers, particularly of WaPo.

I was going to make an effort at trying to reason with you, but then I saw this. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Anything to avoid addressing the point, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom