• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tucker Carlson villainizes journalists on his top-rated show. Then the threats pour in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tucker Carlson helped undermine our nation's faith in our elections with zero proof. His disdain for masks and social distancing still lead to needless deaths. The courts and his lawyers say he can't be held accountable because he's proven he can't be believed. Unfortunately he's too often believed. He is a clear and present danger to national security.

For the curious, here's the piece from Virginia Heffernan that Carlson (and thousands of other people) took issue with. In it, she struggles with whether or not she should thank her neighbors for shoveling her driveway for her, comparing them to Hezbollah and Nazi sympathizers because they happened to vote for Trump.

This really earned her a segment on a prime time show (hosted by a man propagating the Nazi Replacement Theory, no less) and death threats? Good Lord, man.

"...he has increasingly found fodder in criticizing lesser-known media figures whom he presents to his audience as symbols of liberalism run amok. And a subset of viewers are inspired to personally harass those journalists with threatening messages. Los Angeles Times columnist Virginia Heffernan told The Post that she contacted local police and filed a report with the Federal Bureau of Investigation — mentioning Carlson by name — after a Feb. 8 segment on his show took aim at a column she published three days earlier. ...Heffernan said she received waves of harassing and threatening messages, including letters mailed to her home address and a text message to her phone from a sender indicating a knowledge of where she lived. The text message in particular spooked her, and her local police department took it seriously. Officers drove past her house and around her neighborhood multiple times, she said.

In early March, New York Times technology and digital culture reporter Taylor Lorenz took note on Twitter of International Women’s Day by urging her followers to support female journalists and raising concerns about the online harassment she and other women in the profession have experienced. Carlson decided to devote a segment of his show to Lorenz’s complaint — in particular highlighting her claim that online harassment had “destroyed” her life, which he mocked. Days later, Lorenz shared on Twitter an email she had received in the aftermath of the show, repeatedly urging her to “kill yourself." “It’s not just mean tweets,” said Lorenz’s friend, video producer Sara Pearl Kenigsberg. “It’s death threats. It’s people trying to dox her, or figuring out where she lives or her family situation, or contacting and harassing her family. It’s very scary.” (Lorenz was not made available for an interview.)

Murray Carpenter and Tristan Spinski, two Maine-based journalists with relatively small online profiles, declined to comment for this story when asked about the harassment they received in July, after Carlson named them on his show and told his audience that they planned to reveal the location of his Maine home in a story for the Times. At the time, both Carpenter and Spinski told Post media critic Erik Wemple that they were forced to call law enforcement. Spinski, a freelance photographer, appeared to get the worst of it — there was an attempted break-in at his house following the segment."

Link

Tucker Carlson is trying to bully journalists into silence. Interesting that when demonstrators once appeared at his house, Fox News condemned the action. Now, they, themselves, are paying someone to promote it, and worse.
You should find another way to demonstrate your fear of effective speakers you disagree with.
One way to show it's not just a fear you learned by reading what others say would be to reproduce his comments and those of the people he was referring to.

Here's an example - I saw a clip of John Berman (CNN) interviewing Tony Fauci. Berman claimed Carlson said the COVID vaccines were ineffective, fake, and asked Fauci's opinion.
Now if all you know is from CNN and similar sources you wouldn't know what Carlson actually said that was misrepresented by Berman in order to get the response he wanted from Fauci.
(Have I mentioned CNN Is deathly afraid of Tucker Carlson too? Is that where you got your fear?)

In response, last night Carlson repeated the questions that inspired Berman's misrepresentation to the easily deceived Anthony Fauci ...

“For months now, we have been asking a very straightforward question about the Coronavirus vaccine. Why do people who take it — and by the way, why do people who have been previously infected and show high levels of antibodies — have to live under the restrictions that the vaccines were supposed to eliminate?”
“Why, for example, does Tony Fauci say you have to wear a mask after you get the vaccine? If we are following the science, and we sincerely hope to, as we are wondering, is Fauci telling Americans who have been vaccinated or who have been recovered from the Coronavirus itself, that they aren’t protected against future infections?”
“Is that why he is saying they can’t eat in restaurants or go to bars? These are not trick questions,”

Fauci never answered those questions ... can you?

I disagree, I think she was being honest and in our society non white non males get punished for that.

Amen. A little off-topic but one of my favorite sayings is : The only thing that keeps American women from slaughtering all the men is religion. :)
Also, in my travels to Australia, I notice (with exceptions of course) is the Australian Aborigines treat and respect the/their women better than the modern American male. :(

Amen. A little off-topic but one of my favorite sayings is : The only thing that keeps American women from slaughtering all the men is religion. :)
Also, in my travels to Australia, I notice (with exceptions of course) is the Australian Aborigines treat and respect the/their women better than the modern American male. :(

When you look back at her comments about Trump, and what his admin would mean/do, she was amazingly prescient.

Banal both sidesing with no context or nuance? YES. I do indeed see how that works.
In the 'deplorables' (Hillary) vs 'repulsive' (Tucker) name calling race to the bottom neither has high ground, just varying degrees of shame.

In the 'deplorables' (Hillary) vs 'repulsive' (Tucker) name calling race to the bottom neither has high ground, just varying degrees of shame.

This doesn’t become *less* disingenuous the more you try to rephrase it.

Not all women are religious. What stops them from slaughtering men is that they're better human beings than men.

I've often thought that if at least 65-70% of elected offices in this country were held by women the world would be a better place.

He apparently tried to spread doubt about vaccination. That puts him on my **** you forever list. Even Anus P. McPuckerface got vaccinated, and he is arguably one of the most incompetent public figures in modern history.

This doesn’t become *less* disingenuous the more you try to rephrase it.
If you want discourse to become more civil start by holding your own side accountable. Would you agree that Hillary's characterization was hateful rhetoric?

For the curious, here's the piece from Virginia Heffernan that Carlson (and thousands of other people) took issue with. In it, she struggles with whether or not she should thank her neighbors for shoveling her driveway for her, comparing them to Hezbollah and Nazi sympathizers because they happened to vote for Trump.

Ah. I just saw this. It reinforces my point in #28. It's a satisfying feeling. I thank you for that. I never thought to compare you to Hezbollah of Nazi symapathizers.

When you look back at her comments about Trump, and what his admin would mean/do, she was amazingly prescient.
Because they are at least sort of friends. She could see how he was. Doesn't mean she didn't have plenty of vices and issues herself, but most people know at least some people who are in their life on a normal basis, know them well enough to know whether you would want those people to hold a public office and even can state the reasons why you would see them as a problem if not (or how they could be good, if so).

Because they are at least sort of friends. She could see how he was. Doesn't mean she didn't have plenty of vices and issues herself, but most people know at least some people who are in their life on a normal basis, know them well enough to know whether you would want those people to hold a public office and even can state the reasons why you would see them as a problem if not (or how they could be good, if so).

What’s sad for us as a country is she wasn’t even saying anything we all didn’t know to be true.

If you want discourse to become more civil start by holding your own side accountable. Would you agree that Hillary's characterization was hateful rhetoric?
Do deplorable people exist in the US? She was wrong for saying "half", certainly, but she was not wrong in expressing that there were plenty of deplorable characters within Trump's supporters. She even expressed her personal view on who she was recognizing as "deplorable", as belonging in that "basket".

Do deplorable people exist in the US? She was wrong for saying "half", certainly, but she was not wrong in expressing that there were plenty of deplorable characters within Trump's supporters.
That's exactly where she was wrong - when she said it.

This really earned her a segment on a prime time show (hosted by a man propagating the Nazi Replacement Theory, no less) and death threats? Good Lord, man.
Yeah, you have to write a mind-numbingly stupid column to blow up the internet and win a segment on a prime time show. Grats to Virginia Heffernan.

That's exactly where she was wrong - when she said it.
No, she wasn't wrong in expressing that there were people who were his supporters who are also deplorable (as she went on to describe). Should their views be hidden, not discussed?

No, she wasn't wrong in expressing that there were people who were his supporters who are also deplorable (as she went on to describe). Should their views be hidden, not discussed?
Sure their views should be discussed, but without the hateful name calling.

Sure their views should be discussed, but without the hateful name calling.
I can almost agree with this, but there is always going to be rhetoric and it isn't fair to try to compare something that is wrong but at least clarified as meaning certain groups to someone who does it in much worse, much less defined ways. There can be a difference in how "bad" or "wrong" things are. So saying that hers needed to be addressed "first" is also wrong. Why not simply say that was wrong, but so is this on a different level?

"Not all women are religious. What stops them from slaughtering men is that they're better human beings than men."

"I've often thought that if at least 65-70% of elected offices in this country were held by women the world would be a better place."

What you say is absolutely true. I've always thought that women would do a much better job at running the world. When I was about 12, my father (Was a fairly high ranking corporate person) said this: "Most of the so called male leaders in industry and government are complete Dicks..and I'm not talking about their name or private parts" When he retired, I also remember him saying something like "I couldn't stand the macho, posturing bullsh!t anymore"

You should find another way to demonstrate your fear of effective speakers you disagree with.
One way to show it's not just a fear you learned by reading what others say would be to reproduce his comments and those of the people he was referring to.

Here's an example - I saw a clip of John Berman (CNN) interviewing Tony Fauci. Berman claimed Carlson said the COVID vaccines were ineffective, fake, and asked Fauci's opinion.
Now if all you know is from CNN and similar sources you wouldn't know what Carlson actually said that was misrepresented by Berman in order to get the response he wanted from Fauci.
(Have I mentioned CNN Is deathly afraid of Tucker Carlson too? Is that where you got your fear?)

In response, last night Carlson repeated the questions that inspired Berman's misrepresentation to the easily deceived Anthony Fauci ...

“For months now, we have been asking a very straightforward question about the Coronavirus vaccine. Why do people who take it — and by the way, why do people who have been previously infected and show high levels of antibodies — have to live under the restrictions that the vaccines were supposed to eliminate?”
“Why, for example, does Tony Fauci say you have to wear a mask after you get the vaccine? If we are following the science, and we sincerely hope to, as we are wondering, is Fauci telling Americans who have been vaccinated or who have been recovered from the Coronavirus itself, that they aren’t protected against future infections?”
“Is that why he is saying they can’t eat in restaurants or go to bars? These are not trick questions,”

What does this have to do with a national television personality encouraging people to threaten journalists who have done him no harm?

What does this have to do with a national television personality encouraging people to threaten journalists who have done him no harm?
Guess you missed the point when I said "One way to show it's not just a fear you learned by reading what others say would be to reproduce his comments and those of the people he was referring to."

Okay, lemme put it another way ... What - you - said - he - said - never - was - said.

The guy is such a piece of work. The same ones who love Trump, love him which tells you all you need to know about what they value. Hilary was right about the basketful!

They work hard at proving it, every day.

Then they get mad at you when you hold up the mirror.

They work hard at proving it, every day.

Then they get mad at you when you hold up the mirror.
Yes, claiming they are being shamed......'cause that is what they have been told to think. Funny, I never think of the endless criticism of the left as "shaming " me. Odd attitude ...unless of course you think you have reason to be ashamed.

Guess you missed the point when I said "One way to show it's not just a fear you learned by reading what others say would be to reproduce his comments and those of the people he was referring to."

Okay, lemme put it another way ... What - you - said - he - said - never - was - said.

Here's a transcript from his show where he spends time on the Virginia Heffernan story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom