• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tucker Carlson: stop demographic shift or return to "broke, dirty, and dangerous" cities 50 yrs ago

Re: Tucker Carlson: stop demographic shift or return to "broke, dirty, and dangerous" cities 50 yrs

Tucker gearing up for that 2024 presidential run, looking to be the next "Trump".

Race baiting piece of trash.

Not a big fan of this guy, but I don't see the race baiting. The "demographic shift" he seems to be referring to is wealthy white liberals leaving these crime-ridden cities. In the end, even progressives find progressivism to be repugnant.

Re: Tucker Carlson: stop demographic shift or return to "broke, dirty, and dangerous" cities 50 yrs

Not a big fan of this guy, but I don't see the race baiting. The "demographic shift" he seems to be referring to is wealthy white liberals leaving these crime-ridden cities. In the end, even progressives find progressivism to be repugnant.

All These Stories About People Fleeing Cities Are Total Nonsense - Curbed

There were other cities that saw a drop in traffic to out-of-market homes, but the share of traffic to other urban areas still rose — Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, Phoenix, Washington, D.C., Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa, Sacramento, San Diego, San Antonio, Columbus.

Of the cities that did see a drop in traffic to homes in urban areas, the drop was negligible. The city that saw the biggest drop was Indianapolis, where traffic fell by a mighty 1 percent.

“We just don’t have any basis to claim a boom in the suburbs,” says Jeff Tucker, an economist with Zillow. “There are people who really believe the urban exodus hypothesis. If there’s an evidence for it in the data, it’s very weak.”

That article is a month old and only talks about the pandemic, not the crime and looting and ever increasing taxes.

It takes a month for economic data to be collected, at a minimum. Also, if there was a sudden shift from this trend, it would be all over the news (at minimum the propaganda sites like Breitbart or OAN), which there is no article(s) I am aware of.

So unless you can provide evidence, this is just paranoia on your part.

He was race baiting, and as usual you people have to do everything in your power to try and tell us what he "really meant". As you do with regards to Trump

How so?

It takes a month for economic data to be collected, at a minimum. Also, if there was a sudden shift from this trend, it would be all over the news (at minimum the propaganda sites like Breitbart or OAN), which there is no article(s) I am aware of.

It takes time, no one is claiming the cities are going to empty out overnight.

So unless you can provide evidence, this is just paranoia on your part.

The evidence is it has happened many times before:

White flight - Wikipedia

White liberals have always moved away from minorities and now we have a situation where minorities are burning, looting, blocking highways and generally being obnoxious on a regular basis.

White flight - Wikipedia

White liberals have always moved away from minorities and now we have a situation where minorities are burning, looting, blocking highways and generally being obnoxious on a regular basis.

So its just fear and paranoia on your part then, got it.

A few things.

1. 50 years ago there were a lot more whites in cities than today. So I am not sure what Tucker is getting at there. It is true that violent crime rates in most cities were much higher then, but they also did have a lot more white people in them.

The demographic shift is the issue, and it illustrates what happens when what is left is generally the lower income quintiles.

2. I do agree with Tucker Carlson that if higher rates of violent crime is perceived, then people will leave those areas if they can and that everyone, left or right, needs to be cognizant of that.

Which speaks to the nature how and why the right talks and reports on this, and also speaks to the nature of how and why the left tends to diminish talking and reporting on this.

3. Where I disagree with him is that he either doesn't understand, or he chooses to ignore that violent crime is concentrated in areas of concentrated poverty, and that 8 out of 10 people in concentrated poverty is either black or latino. That's not an accident, but rather the result of decades of institutional racism.

Just saying that does not do all that much, and even if you reversed course we have no real indication that concentrated poverty is revealed. Your point #2 is one issue, but also is perception of blame for one group and alleviation of other party's from having any responsibility.

By in large these areas are ran by Democrats, modern liberal leaning, who have not been all that effective in dealing with all this. Dumping money into their pockets has not trickled its way down to better education results, upward economic activity, or any sense of investment in these areas.

Double, triple, or more that funding and we see no real indication of anything but continued deterioration. That is what Carson is speaking to even if he is just accidentally right in how he decided to talk about it.

The demographic shift is the issue, and it illustrates what happens when what is left is generally the lower income quintiles.

Which speaks to the nature how and why the right talks and reports on this, and also speaks to the nature of how and why the left tends to diminish talking and reporting on this.

Just saying that does not do all that much, and even if you reversed course we have no real indication that concentrated poverty is revealed. Your point #2 is one issue, but also is perception of blame for one group and alleviation of other party's from having any responsibility.

By in large these areas are ran by Democrats, modern liberal leaning, who have not been all that effective in dealing with all this. Dumping money into their pockets has not trickled its way down to better education results, upward economic activity, or any sense of investment in these areas.

Double, triple, or more that funding and we see no real indication of anything but continued deterioration. That is what Carson is speaking to even if he is just accidentally right in how he decided to talk about it.

Democrats run practically every major city in the country and have for decades. Over 80% of our country's GDP is generated in cities ran by Democrats. Some of those cities are failing, like a Detroit or Cleveland, while many succeed like Houston, Denver, Seattle and so on. The correlation as to whether a city fails or succeeds has more to do with how desirable the location is than anything else. For example, you can draw a clear correlation between the decline of Northern rustbelt cities and the ascent of Sunbelt cities with the beginning of widespread use of Air Conditioning in the 1950s. Detroit looked a lot better than Dallas until everyone started getting A/C in their homes and businesses.

The problem with concentrated poverty is it results in a lack of the networks needed to climb out of poverty. There are plenty of white people that live in poverty, but the vast majority of them live in proximity to people that are not in poverty. The same is not true of black people in poverty. For example, I grew up in poverty. Not just poor, but in poverty in the South. I am demographically in the upper middle class today. It takes a lot of hard work and drive to get out of poverty, but what it also takes is networks. For example, I got my first really good IT job because the senior partner's wife at that firm was a customer of my mom's. My brother is an electrician because one of the guys he grew up with had a father that owned and electrical contracting outfit. People living in concentrated poverty do not have those networks.

As to public programs and their impact. The right constantly derides LBJ's Great Society, but the Great Society cut the poverty rate for blacks by close to 70% in less than 10 years. The educational initiatives started by Clinton and continued with Bush's No Child Left Behind, did have some success. Indeed, the two best high schools today in the entire KC area are majority minority, in inner city communities. Millions of blacks moved out of poverty and into the middle class during the 1990s with programs like moving to opportunity, community policing (one of the good aspects of the much derided crime bill), and growing median incomes at the time.

The point is it's all very complicated, yet those on the far left and guys like Tucker Carlson want to overly simplify it. For example, St. Louis' biggest problem is not governance (though that has been a problem in the past), its that the city is hemned in to its orignal city limits and was not able to grow its boundaries in response to white flight, thus much of it is a hollowed out core of concentrated poverty left in the wake of whites moving out to escape diverse neighborhoods.

That all said, prior to the pandemic, cities were on the revival across America. Here in Kansas City, there was new development "East of Troost", an area that represented the old red lining, for the first time in decades. The city was rapidly growing over the last 10 years with young whites seeing the diverse neighborhoods in the city being much more desirable than the suburbs. For those that do want to live in the suburbs, the older, much more diverse inner ring suburbs are far more desirable than the newer, more white, outer-burbs.

I just found more of the transcript.

He's discussing how, if mayors don't do something about crime in inner cities, people will flee the cities.

He's making a case that we need to step in and help.

The Daily Beast ran this story. Tucker needs to start suing for slander.

I'm not attacking your OP BTW. This got slanted by the left media.

That means they're leaving on their own.

Local governments do not enforce federal drug laws, and smash & grab looting is not connected to the drug trade.

Smash and grab looting Isn't in the violent crime stats that all you rightists point at and chuckle about in cities either.
And what do you mean, local governments don't enforce federal drug laws? Is the drug prohibition a city by-law? A zoning measure? The federal government made drugs illegal and leaves the city police to do the enforcement and deal with the gang violence that comes with it.
Make no mistake, it's the drug trade that drives inner-city violence. And the federal drug laws eat up a big chunk of city policing budgets, which means enforcing federal laws is paid for by city businesses and homeowners. Some cities have stopped squandering their resources doing the Fed's heavy lifting around immigration laws and the right whinge has occasional conniption fits about it, can you imagine if cities stopped enforcing drug laws? The whole right wing would burst their hemorrhoids.
The best route to solving city violence is drug law reform, a federal responsibility, but that would remove a favourite talking point from the rightist vocabulary so you lot just throw shade at the idea and tsk-tsk about city police forces being unable to keep up with the carnage.

Last edited:

White flight - Wikipedia

What a dumb thing to say. Do you mean that if white liberals didn't leave neighbourhoods that have become violent there wouldn't be burning, looting and the chaos you have now? Do you mean that white conservatives stick-and-stay in inner cities or do you mean that they were never there in the first place?

And what do you mean, local governments don't enforce federal drug laws?

That's correct.

The federal government made drugs illegal and leaves the city police to do the enforcement

No. Cities enforce state drug laws.

And the federal drug laws eat up a big chunk of city policing budgets, which means enforcing federal laws is paid for by city businesses and homeowners.

No.

The best route to solving city violence is drug law reform, a federal responsibility, but that would remove a favourite talking point from the rightist vocabulary so you lot just throw shade at the idea and tsk-tsk about city police forces being unable to keep up with the carnage.

Drug laws are not going to be "reformed" (whatever that means). Furthermore, I can name many prominent right wingers who argued for legalization of all drugs - Milton Friedman, William F. Buckley, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Dr. Thomas Szasz and many others. I'll bet you can't name a single left wing prick who supports legalization of all drugs - which is the only way to end the drug war including the war on chronic pain patients.

What a dumb thing to say. Do you mean that if white liberals didn't leave neighbourhoods that have become violent there wouldn't be burning, looting and the chaos you have now?

I mean exactly what I said. The cities were white flight has taken place were all heavily unionized and Democratic. White progressives will not live along side black and brown people. Even today, the most racially segregated cites are the most progressive - Detroit, Boston, Chicago, etc. In progressive New England, the public schools are the most racially segregated in the country.

That's correct.

No. Cities enforce state drug laws.

No.

Drug laws are not going to be "reformed" (whatever that means). Furthermore, I can name many prominent right wingers who argued for legalization of all drugs - Milton Friedman, William F. Buckley, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Dr. Thomas Szasz and many others. I'll bet you can't name a single left wing prick who supports legalization of all drugs - which is the only way to end the drug war including the war on chronic pain patients.

Here's one left wing prick who supports the legalization of all drugs- Grand Mal. And I got things to do now or I'd google up a bunch of names for you of liberals who support drug law reform, including legalization. That's definitely a liberal principle, even when advocated by a conservative.
Do you mean to tell me that a state could make drugs legal? That might be a statement, legalizing drugs in one state, but we both know it needs to be national unless you want to concentrate all the country's druggies in one area.

That is a bunch of BS... You are perpetuating a lie, but I'll bet the farm that you don't give a damn as long as it props up your warped ideology.

Here's the truth:

Tucker in full context

You people are beyond pathetic.

I'd like to see prices of real estate in Georgetown. Bet they've not gone down, which they would if people were fleeing Georgetown.

So basically he's saying round up the dissenters and get ridvof them . Yeah, that's way better :roll:

He's pushing his own narrative and he hopes it will win Trump the election. Federal control of all major cities - it's what the GOP has wanted all along. "We can't trust these people to vote" is the narrative. Guess who "those people" are. Authoritatianism is coming and you're cheering for it.

What are you talking about? Why is it that so many people on the left, including yourself, either don't understand or misinterpret plain spoken English?

What he is saying is simple, and nowhere does he ever suggest "rounding up" or "getting rid" of anyone. If you'd like to fully understand what he was talking about in order to put what he was saying in full context, this should do it.

Link

As you see, what those people you call "dissenters" were doing was what's called disturbing the peace. They were purposely marching through residential areas in Washington DC with noise makers and bull horns in order to wake families up in the middle of the night. There was absolutely no justification for doing that and the DC police did nothing to stop them. Cities allowing crap like that to take place is what's going to run the decent, hard working people out of metropolitan areas and create exactly the thing that Tucker was talking about.

Framing those mobs as "dissenters" is an insult to anyone who has ever peacefully protested.

Democrats run practically every major city in the country and have for decades. Over 80% of our country's GDP is generated in cities ran by Democrats. Some of those cities are failing, like a Detroit or Cleveland, while many succeed like Houston, Denver, Seattle and so on. The correlation as to whether a city fails or succeeds has more to do with how desirable the location is than anything else. For example, you can draw a clear correlation between the decline of Northern rustbelt cities and the ascent of Sunbelt cities with the beginning of widespread use of Air Conditioning in the 1950s. Detroit looked a lot better than Dallas until everyone started getting A/C in their homes and businesses.

The problem with concentrated poverty is it results in a lack of the networks needed to climb out of poverty. There are plenty of white people that live in poverty, but the vast majority of them live in proximity to people that are not in poverty. The same is not true of black people in poverty. For example, I grew up in poverty. Not just poor, but in poverty in the South. I am demographically in the upper middle class today. It takes a lot of hard work and drive to get out of poverty, but what it also takes is networks. For example, I got my first really good IT job because the senior partner's wife at that firm was a customer of my mom's. My brother is an electrician because one of the guys he grew up with had a father that owned and electrical contracting outfit. People living in concentrated poverty do not have those networks.

As to public programs and their impact. The right constantly derides LBJ's Great Society, but the Great Society cut the poverty rate for blacks by close to 70% in less than 10 years. The educational initiatives started by Clinton and continued with Bush's No Child Left Behind, did have some success. Indeed, the two best high schools today in the entire KC area are majority minority, in inner city communities. Millions of blacks moved out of poverty and into the middle class during the 1990s with programs like moving to opportunity, community policing (one of the good aspects of the much derided crime bill), and growing median incomes at the time.

The point is it's all very complicated, yet those on the far left and guys like Tucker Carlson want to overly simplify it. For example, St. Louis' biggest problem is not governance (though that has been a problem in the past), its that the city is hemned in to its orignal city limits and was not able to grow its boundaries in response to white flight, thus much of it is a hollowed out core of concentrated poverty left in the wake of whites moving out to escape diverse neighborhoods.

That all said, prior to the pandemic, cities were on the revival across America. Here in Kansas City, there was new development "East of Troost", an area that represented the old red lining, for the first time in decades. The city was rapidly growing over the last 10 years with young whites seeing the diverse neighborhoods in the city being much more desirable than the suburbs. For those that do want to live in the suburbs, the older, much more diverse inner ring suburbs are far more desirable than the newer, more white, outer-burbs.

Fantastic post, although I don't agree with you about the efficiacy of NCLB.

The far-right is rooting for America's biggest cities to fail. This is why they cheer when New York was the coronavirus hotspot, Chicago was in the news for murders (despite St. Louis being much, much worse year after year), 45's thugs destabilizing Portland, and so on. They are jealous of big cities' success compared to the rest of the country. They remind me of petty people who read tabloids and cheer when popular celebrities get busted for something minor such as sleeping around or public intoxication. Their egos cannot handle our increasingly diverse cities' being the major drivers of our economy. They could, but they choose not to. In short, these people will not assimilate.

I'd like to see prices of real estate in Georgetown. Bet they've not gone down, which they would if people were fleeing Georgetown.

What point are you trying to make?

I think someone is triggered because his hero was criticized.

Thank you lol.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

What exactly are you criticizing him for? Please be specific.

Because it sounds to me like you all know the context of this, and you are slandering him on purpose.

When he says cities will become "dirty," that's what he means. Unkept. Unclean. He is not referring to the color of people's skin, if that's what you all are implying, and if you are, you are racist pigs for letting that thought enter your head.

Last edited:

What point are you trying to make?

That Tucker is full of ****. Did you listen to the broadcast? He claims people have already left Georgetown. I'm sure that's true. In any given month in that area lots of people move out and new people move in. That's not evidence of a trend that the wealthy people are going to leave Georgetown and leave the area to a bunch of undesirables.

So he's predicting one of the greatest "demographic" shifts in history based on nothing, all to gin up hardly disguised racial fear in his gullible audience.

Here's one left wing prick who supports the legalization of all drugs- Grand Mal.

Full legalization means getting rid of the prescription drug system, which is the system that makes life miserable for millions of chronic pain patients; people like my wife.

And I got things to do now or I'd google up a bunch of names for you of liberals who support drug law reform, including legalization.

"reform" isn't enough. There are no prominent left wingers that support a free market in all drugs.

That's definitely a liberal principle, even when advocated by a conservative.

It's liberal as in classic liberal, not American liberal. American liberals are descendants of the progressive movement, which gave the U.S. alcohol prohibition in the 1920s, and regularly come up with new things to ban every other day.

The classic liberal position is that you, as an adult, have the right to put whatever you want into your own body. All of the people I mentioned earlier supported that idea. I'm not aware of a single prominent left wing politician or leftist intellectual who supports it - they all support government control over what you may or may not ingest or inhale.

Do you mean to tell me that a state could make drugs legal?

Yes, but it would never happen.

So he's predicting one of the greatest "demographic" shifts in history based on nothing, all to gin up hardly disguised racial fear in his gullible audience.

Do you understand that the word "demographic" does not always refer to race lol?

When people leave cities for other areas, this is a demographic shift.

I mean exactly what I said. The cities were white flight has taken place were all heavily unionized and Democratic. White progressives will not live along side black and brown people. Even today, the most racially segregated cites are the most progressive - Detroit, Boston, Chicago, etc. In progressive New England, the public schools are the most racially segregated in the country.

The only white people that choose to live in diverse neighborhoods are moderates and liberals. There is not a zip code in the entire country with over 900 people per square like that votes Republican in national elections. In any major city you can draw a circle of around 10 miles from downtown, and those in the circle will be diverse and vote Democrat while those outside will be largely white and vote Republican. Indeed we chose to purchase a smaller older home in an inner ring suburb so that our kids could be raised in a diverse area and attend diverse schools.

Back
Top Bottom