• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tuberville Reinforces Alabama Stereotypes

One of Tommy’s peeps...

What did I post that you can quote was incorrect and what evidence to you have to refute same?
You’re being ridiculously dishonest. I have reposted your false assertion, along with proof, debunking said assertion. Twice.
Just to note, of various education measures, AL does measure last in at least one. Of various hunger, not poverty, measures, I've seen AL rank around 5th-7th worst. But, yeah, there's a correlation. As in the entire south in both education and hunger, plus poverty, though some southern states rank high in education, like VA.
Note the five Southern states that rank in the top twenty “best states” in education, economy & opportunity (which directly impacts poverty levels, which directly impacts the ability to put food on the table).
I already did disprove your false claim.
View attachment 67311228
Not the entire South. I cited exception. I'm sure there's more. Even as an entire state, Texas, perhaps. Oh, wait. TX is a Plains state. Oh well.
Your words.
Just to note, of various education measures, AL does measure last in at least one. Of various hunger, not poverty, measures, I've seen AL rank around 5th-7th worst. But, yeah, there's a correlation. As in the entire south in both education and hunger, plus poverty, though some southern states rank high in education, like VA.
You were wrong. Own it.

More proof of your false/wrong assertion:

Twenty poorest states in America counting down from poorest. Note those non-Southern states highlighted in red:
  • West Virginia
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Louisiana
  • New Mexico
  • Alabama
  • Kentucky
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Idaho
  • Florida
  • North Carolina
  • Montana
  • Missouri
  • Ohio
  • Indiana
  • Michigan
  • Georgia
  • Maine

Last edited:
You’re being ridiculously dishonest. I have reposted your false assertion, along with proof, debunking said assertion. Twice.

Note the five Southern states that rank in the top twenty “best states” in education, economy & opportunity (which directly impacts poverty levels, which directly impacts the ability to put food on the table).

View attachment 67311228

You were wrong. Own it.

More proof of your false/wrong assertion:

Twenty poorest states in America counting down from poorest. Note those non-Southern states highlighted in red:
  • West Virginia
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Louisiana
  • New Mexico
  • Alabama
  • Kentucky
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Idaho
  • Florida
  • North Carolina
  • Montana
  • Missouri
  • Ohio
  • Indiana
  • Michigan
  • Georgia
  • Maine

You posted overall-rankings-2019.pdf (usnews.com) . The only column in that item was “Education”, which only proved what I said about education.

Now you say “Note the five Southern states that rank in the top twenty “best states” in education, economy & opportunity (which directly impacts poverty levels, which directly impacts the ability to put food on the table).” However, I did not address economy & opportunity, which you cited as affecting poverty, which it does, but it is not a rank of poverty, which is what I addressed. So, you did not refute what I said about poverty. You go on to repost overall-rankings-2019.pdf (usnews.com) , which as I’ve indicated is irrelevant. It only addresses education, in which it does not refute what I said about education.

The South, as in what is considered the entire South, as is called “the South”, is correlated to the worst poverty in the US. Ten of the 20 states ranking highest in poverty that you posted are states of the South. A more detailed state poverty level is https://www.usnews.com/media/best-states/overall-rankings-2019.pdf , which ranks 8 of the states of the South in the list of top 10 highest poverty level states. Here are the 10 states with the highest poverty rates:
  1. Mississippi (19.71%)
  2. Louisiana (18.79%)
  3. New Mexico (18.66%)
  4. West Virginia (17.42%)
  5. Kentucky (16.70%)
  6. Arkansas (16.40%)
  7. Alabama (16.18%)
  8. Oklahoma (15.06%)
  9. Tennessee (14.48%)
  10. Georgia (14.25%)
The last attch in your post has an article with the statement “The South holds a higher-than-average concentration of the poorest states in the country.” The list therein also ranks 8 states of the South among thee worst top 10.

There is no other region with as much poverty as the South.

I don’t know what you’re on about. See you on another thread.

You posted overall-rankings-2019.pdf (usnews.com) . The only column in that item was “Education”, which only proved what I said about education.

Now you say “Note the five Southern states that rank in the top twenty “best states” in education, economy & opportunity (which directly impacts poverty levels, which directly impacts the ability to put food on the table).” However, I did not address economy & opportunity, which you cited as affecting poverty, which it does, but it is not a rank of poverty, which is what I addressed. So, you did not refute what I said about poverty. You go on to repost overall-rankings-2019.pdf (usnews.com) , which as I’ve indicated is irrelevant. It only addresses education, in which it does not refute what I said about education.

The South, as in what is considered the entire South, as is called “the South”, is correlated to the worst poverty in the US. Ten of the 20 states ranking highest in poverty that you posted are states of the South. A more detailed state poverty level is https://www.usnews.com/media/best-states/overall-rankings-2019.pdf , which ranks 8 of the states
Your continued false denial is becoming tiresome, and only serves to continue embarrassing yourself.

Your words (again);
Factually, “the entire southdoes not rank lowest in poverty and hunger. The 2019 overall stats in the link (which you do not dispute) I posted included states rankings in economy and opportunity.

You acknowledged that economy and opportunity effects a states poverty level, but argue that because the link did not specifically categorize poverty levels, your argument still stands? You really want that to be your argument? Can you cite a list of states that have excellent economies and opportunities, and also have high poverty rates?

Back to your original false assertion, “the entire south” does not, in fact, rank highest in poverty. Your own post above proves you wrong.

The “entire south” includes Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland, all of which are in the top 20 lowest poverty rankings.
CE915026-2C0D-4CAE-8401-5AE6AE474FE0.jpeg
41F62F1E-5A76-413A-BD07-0FECD323F0DC.jpeg

I happen to live in VA, a state that is part of “the entire south”, with a low rate of poverty compared to most of the other 49 states.

You're entitled to your own opinion, bluesmoke, not your own facts. Next time, be careful not to make uninformed blanket assertions.

You are dismissed.

Your continued false denial is becoming tiresome, and only serves to continue embarrassing yourself.

Your words (again);

Factually, “the entire southdoes not rank lowest in poverty and hunger. The 2019 overall stats in the link (which you do not dispute) I posted included states rankings in economy and opportunity.

You acknowledged that economy and opportunity effects a states poverty level, but argue that because the link did not specifically categorize poverty levels, your argument still stands? You really want that to be your argument? Can you cite a list of states that have excellent economies and opportunities, and also have high poverty rates?

Back to your original false assertion, “the entire south” does not, in fact, rank highest in poverty. Your own post above proves you wrong.

The “entire south” includes Virginia, Delaware, and Maryland, all of which are in the top 20 lowest poverty rankings.
View attachment 67313109
View attachment 67313110

I happen to live in VA, a state that is part of “the entire south”, with a low rate of poverty compared to most of the other 49 states.

You're entitled to your own opinion, bluesmoke, not your own facts. Next time, be careful not to make uninformed blanket assertions.

You are dismissed.

I never made a claim of either “economy” or “opportunity”. Mine were of “poverty” and “hunger”. It is you who dishonestly attempted to change MY claim to be what it was and is not. Economy and opportunity have elements of poverty and hunger, but they are different measurements having different definition and therefore are NOT THE SAME measurement. The color green is made up of blue and yellow, but IT IS NOT blue or yellow. You are apparently incapable of comprehending that sort of delineation.

The States that make up "The South" are usually considered to be:

Virginia

Tennessee

Arkansas

Louisiana

North Carolina

South Carolina

Mississippi

Alabama

Georgia

Florida

Texas

Border States are also sometimes called Southern:

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Kentucky

Maryland

Delaware

Missouri

Southern United States - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My posting has referred to the poverty and hunger of “The South”. However, even adding Border States, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the entirety of either region has worse poverty, by your own stats, than any other region in the US. And hunger, as previously shown.

Based on the categories I gave of Poverty and Hunger, not your interjected cats of Economy and Opportunity, my claim is supported by fact. I’m not contending with other category of measurement you give because they do not affect whatsoever the fact of my claim.

See you on another thread.

I never made a claim of either “economy” or “opportunity”. Mine were of “poverty” and “hunger”. It is you who dishonestly attempted to change MY claim to be what it was and is not. Economy and opportunity have elements of poverty and hunger, but they are different measurements having different definition and therefore are NOT THE SAME measurement. The color green is made up of blue and yellow, but IT IS NOT blue or yellow. You are apparently incapable of comprehending that sort of delineation.

The States that make up "The South" are usually considered to be:

Virginia

Tennessee

Arkansas

Louisiana

North Carolina

South Carolina

Mississippi

Alabama

Georgia

Florida

Texas

Border states are also sometimes called Southern:

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Kentucky

Maryland

Delaware

Missouri

Southern United States - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My posting has referred to the poverty and hunger of “The South”. However, even adding Border States, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the entirety of either region has worse poverty, by your own stats, than any other region in the US. And hunger, as previously shown.

Based on the categories I gave of Poverty and Hunger, not your interjected cats of Economy and Opportunity, my claim is supported by fact. I’m not contending with other category of measurement you give because they do not affect whatsoever the fact of my claim.

See you on another thread.
Deflection and obfuscation continues.

You said:
As a matter of fact, not opinion, your assertion was wrong.

New Mexico, at #3, has one of worst/highest rates of poverty in the United States. Arizona (#12), Michigan (#13), New York (#16), Ohio (#17), Missouri (#19), and California (#20) also rank very poorly. Do you think they are part of the South too?

On the other hand; Maryland (#2), Virginia (#10), and Delaware (#19) rank among those states with the lowest poverty rates. Do you think they should now be considered Northern states?

And just to be absolutely clear, attached is the Census Bureau map of states by region.

Back
Top Bottom