• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tsunami hits Tonga after 'catastrophic' volcano eruption

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Tsunami waves have hit the Kingdom of Tonga after a volcano eruption, which has sent residents fleeing to higher ground.

Hunga-Tonga-Hunga-Ha'apai has erupted several times over the past week, including Friday, but the latest on Saturday afternoon (local time) sent ash up to about 15,800 metres altitude, according to South Pacific journalist Michael Field, citing the Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Wellington.

Holy cow !

Tsunami waves have hit the Kingdom of Tonga after a volcano eruption, which has sent residents fleeing to higher ground.

Hunga-Tonga-Hunga-Ha'apai has erupted several times over the past week, including Friday, but the latest on Saturday afternoon (local time) sent ash up to about 15,800 metres altitude, according to South Pacific journalist Michael Field, citing the Volcanic Ash Advisory Center Wellington.

Holy cow !

That shock wave in the satellite animation is incredible.

Holy cow !

I always picture one giant wave, but it's worse than that--wave after wave, water growing higher and higher. Hope everyone is okay.

How long before Global Warming is to blame?

The report mentions only three deaths. This is a tribute to the preparedness of the Tongans, and very likely to ancestral knowledge about how to react when there's an (apparent) earthquake. The more urbanized people of Sulawesi didn't know in 2004: most of the enormous deaths were preventable, but people without official warning and without traditional knowledge, wandered down to fossick in the exposed sea bed, actually giving up the head start they should have had in escaping.

In 2006 there was an earthquake south of Java, 800 killed, which is certainly less than the Indian Ocean tsunami, but I think also shows that education campaigns and official warning systems do not substitute for traditional knowledge.

Good god. What's next?

We've endured:
  • COVID pandemic
  • Global economy in shambles
  • Supply chain disrupted
  • Inflation at at 40 year high
Now a Tsunami!

What's next?
  • The Nile River turning into blood?
  • Frogs to come up out of the Nile River?
  • Gnats infestation?
  • Big flies that swarming into the houses?
  • Swarms of locusts?
  • Three days thick darkness?

What lies beneath us can be so devastating. I hope all those affected are safe tonight.
Like in Yellowstone
edit add link

Here in SoCal we got hit with the tsunami earlier. I think it was at least 9 inches tall. Sadly, not large enough to wash away all the needles and feces in San Francisco.

Every thread. They have to shit up every thread.

In the future, higher sea levels changing the distribution of weight on sea plates, may actually cause volcanos.

But 1, it would take meters of seawater, so decades from now
And 2, it will likely be a nation-ending event when it happens

The western islands, such as ʻAta (also known as Pylstaart island), Fonuafo'ou, Tofua, Kao, Lata'iki, Late, Fonualei, Toku, Niuatoputapu, and Tafahi, make up the Tongan Volcanic Arc and are all of volcanic origin.[2] They were created from the subduction of the western-moving Pacific plate under the Australia-India plate at the Tonga Trench. (Wikipedia | Geography of Tonga)

The Australia-India plate is already quite active, growing the Himalayas as we speak.

I was probably wrong before when I assumed only 3 people died. Whole islands must have been washed over by this explosion and its tsunami.

Good god. What's next?

We've endured:
  • COVID pandemic
  • Global economy in shambles
  • Supply chain disrupted
  • Inflation at at 40 year high
Now a Tsunami!

What's next?
  • The Nile River turning into blood?
  • Frogs to come up out of the Nile River?
  • Gnats infestation?
  • Swarms of locusts?

Now you know why old people can be so blase about disasters like "the Kardashians" or a forest fire killing a few people. They've experienced worse.

I raise you Home Invasion Wasps, with heavy beaks capable of breaking windows.
And an invasion from Mars. Turns out the rock samples are part of one huge living being. And it's pissed.

I have a lot of Tongan friends with family back in Vavaʻu. Pretty horrific looking explosion, I hope the death toll is low.

Now you know why old people can be so blase about disasters like "the Kardashians" or a forest fire killing a few people. They've experienced worse.

I raise you Home Invasion Wasps, with heavy beaks capable of breaking windows.
And an invasion from Mars. Turns out the rock samples are part of one huge living being. And it's pissed.
There are no Mars rock samples which have been taken to Earth. ;)

No contact can be established to the islands of the Ha'apai Group north of the capital Nuku'alofa on the Tongatapu Group (which only saw 4 feet flooding, but possibly no human loss).

The Ha'apai Group is home to several islands with about 6.000 inhabitants in total and maybe a few hundred tourists at the time.

It lies closer to the volcano than the capital island (the volcano is on those 2 dots of islands, in between where the "p" in Ha'apai and the (X) of the capital Nuku'alofa is).

The Ha'apai Group islands are lower than the capital island, so there might be a lot of them dead.

tn-map.gif

2 people dead so far in 1000s-of-miles-away Peru and the eruption could have a temporal effect on the worldwide climate:

"Preliminary observations showed that the eruption column ejected a large amount of volcanic material into the stratosphere. The eruption has potential to cause a temporary climate effect. A scientist from the University of Auckland described it as a one-in-1000-year event.

The tsunami claimed the lives of two women in Peru when a 2-metre wave struck them at Naylamp beach, Lambayeque. The two women were in a truck along with a driver; the husband of one of the women. When the wave struck, the male occupant escaped. The bodies of the female victims were taken to a morgue.

At San Gregorio, California, four fishermen were swept out to sea by the tsunami. Two of the men were injured and received medical treatment while another two were rescued and unhurt. San Francisco firefighters and the Coast Guard rescued at least three surfers."

2 people dead so far in 1000s-of-miles-away Peru and the eruption could have a temporal effect on the worldwide climate:

"Preliminary observations showed that the eruption column ejected a large amount of volcanic material into the stratosphere. The eruption has potential to cause a temporary climate effect. A scientist from the University of Auckland described it as a one-in-1000-year event.

The tsunami claimed the lives of two women in Peru when a 2-metre wave struck them at Naylamp beach, Lambayeque. The two women were in a truck along with a driver; the husband of one of the women. When the wave struck, the male occupant escaped. The bodies of the female victims were taken to a morgue.

At San Gregorio, California, four fishermen were swept out to sea by the tsunami. Two of the men were injured and received medical treatment while another two were rescued and unhurt. San Francisco firefighters and the Coast Guard rescued at least three surfers."
The climate affect wouldn't be so bad right now.

Unless it's like 536 AD bad.

There are no Mars rock samples which have been taken to Earth. ;)

That actually surprises me. But I guess this isn't the time for rocket science?

That video of the explosion...craaaaaazy!

Holy cow !

The fact this volcano sent material even underwater to a height satellites can clearly see is breathtaking!

Back
Top Bottom