• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Trying to save lives here" Group releases plan to reduce gun violence in Cincinnati

IF you could guarantee me that all criminals would turn in their guns, the only reason "we" would need them would be against the "peaceful" Democrat rioters.

All anyone needs for personal protection is pepper spray, or a small handgun at most. These debates have become intractable because guns in the United States, for followers of the Trump cult, have become more than just something needed for practical purposes. They have become a sacred cultural/religious symbol- a little like the wearing of a hijab or not eating pork for Muslims, or the Sikhs wearing a turban and carrying a dagger. It has become a sacred cultural/religious symbol. It is difficult to argue rationally with sacred symbols, because by definition, they have transcended to beyond the realm of questioning and rationality.

Last edited:
Stopping the gun show loopholes would be a good place to start.

There is no loophole, and less than 1% of the guns in the hands of criminals come from gun shows.

All anyone needs for personal protection is pepper spray, or a small handgun at most. These debates have become intractable because guns in the United States, for followers of the Trump cult, have become more than just something needed for practical purposes. They have become a sacred cultural/religious symbol- a little like the wearing of a hijab or not eating pork for Muslims, or the Sikhs wearing a turban and carrying a dagger. It has become a sacred cultural/religious symbol. It is difficult to argue rationally with sacred symbols, because by definition, they have transcended to beyond the realm of questioning and rationality.

How come cops carry large handguns, patrol rifles and "large capacity magazines"?

Forgive me if I don't rely on you to tell me what my self defense needs could possibly encompass.

How come cops carry large handguns, patrol rifles and "large capacity magazines"?

Forgive me if I don't rely on you to tell me what my self defense needs could possibly encompass.

Because they have been screened for mental health issues. They get job and performance reviews. They’re also accountable to someone, whether it’s the police chief or the mayor.

There is no screening, accountability, or responsibility for any fool that goes and buys military style weapons today privately.

IF you could guarantee me that all criminals would turn in their guns, the only reason "we" would need them would be against the "peaceful" Democrat rioters.

yes, there are never any conservatives who have guns and bad intentions...

RTR4FOZ3-2.jpg

Then why place more restrictions on legal gun owners?

So we can save lives. Studies and statistics show fewer guns in circulation, the fewer crimes that are committed.

Guns do a very poor job of deterring crime. Aside from a few anecdotical pieces, empirical evidence there are better ways to stop a criminal with a firearm.

The presence of married and live in couples increases the risk of domestic violence.

What do your cherry picked links say about that?

And what does that say when it is more difficult in certain states to get married than obtain a gun?

Republicans fought for decades to stop legalized marriage a constitutional right. You guys don't support the constitution. You are a bunch of rapid hypocrites.

They shouldn't. It is that simple, but people are your side that wants to turn community policing into a police force.

Just because some author calls it a loophole doesn't mean that it is one. The Brady Act works exactly as the Democrats who wrote it, passed it and signed it into law intended that it should work.

There are a ton of loopholes in obtaining a gun. That's a fact.

Because they have been screened for mental health issues. They get job and performance reviews. They’re also accountable to someone, whether it’s the police chief or the mayor.

There is no screening, accountability, or responsibility for any fool that goes and buys military style weapons today privately.

Evidently the screening doesn't do what it's supposed to do, does it?

By military style weapons, do you mean bolt action rifles, pump action shotguns and revolvers?

Given that semiautomatic rifles are protected by the Second Amendment, why do you believe that a mental check would be Constitutional?

There are a ton of loopholes in obtaining a gun. That's a fact.
Those "loopholes" are mainly criminal acts. Let me guess, one is the "gun show loophole" right?

They shouldn't. It is that simple, but people are your side that wants to turn community policing into a police force.

Cops have had access to handguns and long guns since forever.

So please explain to us what it is that the NRA and Republicans oppose here:

DeSantis Opposed to Measure Closing Gun-Show Loophole to Require Background Checks | FlaglerLive

As an addendum: we oppose unenforceable, ineffective laws.

In the 2010 report "Summary of Select Firearms Violence Prevention Strategies" the DOJ noted that “universal” background checks can’t be effective without a reduction in the illegal sources of guns to criminals and can’t be enforced without comprehensive firearm registration.

In "Source and Use of Firearms Involved in Crimes: Survey of Prison Inmates, 2016", the DOJ reported in Table 5 where criminals get their guns. We see that vast majority of guns in the hands of criminals come from straw purchases, family transfers, theft and the underground market (Illegal sources of firearms that include markets for stolen goods, middlemen for stolen goods, criminals or criminal enterprises, or individuals or groups involved in sales of illegal drug). A total of 0.8% come from gun shows. Purchases from "good guys" in private sales don't even show up.

What does a UBC do to prevent criminals from getting guns?

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

You can still get a gun without a completed background check.
Thats not a loophole. Its either two criminals committing an illegal firearm sale or its a LEGAL private sale in states where that is legal.

You can still get a gun without a completed background check.

And if you later fail that check, the ATF has the responsibility to go collect that gun. Given that this is how the law is specifically written, how is this a loophole? Loophole doesn't mean "something I don't like".

And if you later fail that check, the ATF has the responsibility to go collect that gun. Given that this is how the law is specifically written, how is this a loophole? Loophole doesn't mean "something I don't like".

That is insanely dumb logic. Imagine, do landlords give out the keys before a credit/background check?

Does the bank issue a loan before a financial review?

Just because some author calls it a loophole doesn't mean that it is one. The Brady Act works exactly as the Democrats who wrote it, passed it and signed it into law intended that it should work.

It’s not just “some author”. The NRA has said they oppose it. What is it that they are opposing?

LOL What if that person is a criminal and already committed a crime or sold that gun?

Here is a simple solution. Sell a gun AFTER the background check is complete!

That is insanely dumb logic. Imagine, do landlords give out the keys before a credit/background check?

Yes. Do car dealerships sell you a car without checking your drivers license?

Could a bank give out a loan prior to performing a financial review? Could a landlord give out the keys before a credit check? Neither are required by law, as far as I know.

There still is no loophole.

Back
Top Bottom