• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's War on Nafta Opens With Whimper.

Fearandloathing

How long is now?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It will be fascinating to watch the Trump crowd making a case for he really is "tearing up" "the worst deal ever signed by the United States of America" when they are, in fact, upgrading along the lines discussed for the last five years, and were provisions in TPP.

Not long ago, U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump was trashing the North America Free Trade Agreement, threatening to "rip up" the whole "one-sided" deal once he got to the White House.

Instead, the NAFTA's new objectives under the Trump administration — offered in an 18-page summary released Monday by the U.S. Trade Representative's Office — are surprisingly tame, according to international trade and customs experts.

They see as downright sensible the U.S. proposals calling for regulatory co-operation, the addition of a chapter to address the digital economy, raising the duty-free spending limit for Canadians, and even the scrapping of a dispute resolution mechanism.

"This is nothing close to tearing up the NAFTA," said Daniel Ujczo, an international trade lawyer who focuses on Canada-U.S. matters.

That ought to be a relief to Canada and Mexico, the other parties in the three-way deal, after charm offensives by both nations to preserve it. Officials from all three countries will meet in Washington Tuesday to review the negotiation objectives.

After Trump's tough talk, NAFTA proposals look more like light reno than demolition - Politics - CBC News

Maybe he just used the threat to get us a better deal?

Maybe he just used the threat to get us a better deal?

Threat? haha... that would imply that doing business outside of the US is scary for us. :)

More likely Trump has gotten the memo that emerging markets are making the US less critical in economic strategy, and that you guys need us more than we need you. I mean, I'm sure it's easier to work with you, given the long history we've had of making it work and being friends...but don't let Canadian politeness fool you, we tend to get our backs up when pushed around. BRICS is a fantastic place to send our softwood and steel and oil and ............

Some people don't seem to understand the most basic tenant about negotiation: Bid high...settle for something lower.

Some people don't seem to understand the most basic tenant about negotiation: Bid high...settle for something lower.

Actually, I think that sums up the Trump Administration perfectly, so I'm going to go ahead and agree with you on this one....lol...

Threat? haha... that would imply that doing business outside of the US is scary for us. :)

More likely Trump has gotten the memo that emerging markets are making the US less critical in economic strategy, and that you guys need us more than we need you. I mean, I'm sure it's easier to work with you, given the long history we've had of making it work and being friends...but don't let Canadian politeness fool you, we tend to get our backs up when pushed around. BRICS is a fantastic place to send our softwood and steel and oil and ............

The US/Mexico trade deficit was 5 times greater than with Canada and there's not a lot of Canadians on US welfare rolls.

We're pretty good.

Actually, I think that sums up the Trump Administration perfectly, so I'm going to go ahead and agree with you on this one....lol...

Thanks...I'm glad you agree with me.

Isn't it better to do things Trump's way than to do it like Obama did: Bid low and end up with even less.

I've always believed we under utilize the potential for good Trump has. He is so easily manipulated by public opinion, if we don't use this against him, and praise him for it we could make him a force for good. Because Trump does what's good for Trump.

Next the press should leak a fake plan of his calling for something good for climate change. And we all praise that, we've established his supporters will side with anything he does. Then we do it again with something bigger like capital gains tax...

The US/Mexico trade deficit was 5 times greater than with Canada and there's not a lot of Canadians on US welfare rolls.

We're pretty good.

I always thought so! Trump's sabre rattling towards Canada was a little unexpected, to put it lightly. Funny part is, many Canadians would say that you guys already have the better part of the deal... We've been (amicably) fighting over softwood for a long time, but other than that, it's been pretty cozy... All of a sudden Trump's ripping us for being "unfair" and coming up with all kinds of nonsense...

And you're right, of all your top trading partners, our trade deficit is the lowest... while being your second biggest trade partner, just behind China - who has a trade deficit 31 times higher than ours!!!

Come on, Trump, show your Northern neighbors a little love.... lolz...

I always thought so! Trump's sabre rattling towards Canada was a little unexpected, to put it lightly. Funny part is, many Canadians would say that you guys already have the better part of the deal... We've been (amicably) fighting over softwood for a long time, but other than that, it's been pretty cozy... All of a sudden Trump's ripping us for being "unfair" and coming up with all kinds of nonsense...

And you're right, of all your top trading partners, our trade deficit is the lowest... while being your second biggest trade partner, just behind China - who has a trade deficit 31 times higher than ours!!!

Come on, Trump, show your Northern neighbors a little love.... lolz...

I believe he was more about changing NAFTA overall not, necessarily any one country.

I believe he was more about changing NAFTA overall not, necessarily any one country.

Meh, he called us out on a few things...the milk thing was weird, we got ourselves in a right tizzy over that...hehe...

Trump's solution to 'unfair' American dairy woes: blame Canada - Politics - CBC News

Here's a more thorough article...

Donald Trump slams Canada for trade practices in energy, lumber, and dairy | Financial Post

As I said, weird, given that we're by far your best trade partner, if only second in volume (seriously, what *is* going on with China??). I think he needs to get better acquainted with what we bring to the table and stop using us as a springboard to brownie points won by acting tough. It just goes to show that isolationism isn't the answer, primarily because we're all too intertwined to step back gracefully. I'm all for reopening trade agreements from time to time, but when something's been generally working, don't start out with the tough guy routine, that's just going to make everyone more pissy at the table, and will likely cost everyone.

Back
Top Bottom