• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's wall with Mexico follows in the footsteps of authoritarian leaders throughout history

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...itarian-leaders-throughout-history-ncna956411

From China to Germany, walls have been used for centuries to spread fear, closed-mindedness and isolationism.

Instead of leading the world away from its worst impulses, as America did for most of the 20th century, President Donald Trump’s demands for a wall on the U.S. southern border look to be leaning closer to the autocratic acts and optics of tyrannical regimes.

Throughout history, autocratic leaders have relied on walls to control their people. From the fierce tyrant who first began building China’s Great Wall in roughly 220 BC to Soviet leader Nikita S. Khrushchev (my great-grandfather as it happens) who ordered construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961, walls have represented undemocratic forces.
=====================================================
I agree completely with her perspective on building walls to isolate people. Isolationism is a periodic fever that takes over this country. I hope Trump does not succeed with this drive.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...itarian-leaders-throughout-history-ncna956411

From China to Germany, walls have been used for centuries to spread fear, closed-mindedness and isolationism.

Instead of leading the world away from its worst impulses, as America did for most of the 20th century, President Donald Trump’s demands for a wall on the U.S. southern border look to be leaning closer to the autocratic acts and optics of tyrannical regimes.

Throughout history, autocratic leaders have relied on walls to control their people. From the fierce tyrant who first began building China’s Great Wall in roughly 220 BC to Soviet leader Nikita S. Khrushchev (my great-grandfather as it happens) who ordered construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961, walls have represented undemocratic forces.
I agree completely with her perspective on building walls to isolate people. Isolationism is a periodic fever that takes over this country. I hope Trump does not succeed with this drive.

Sorry, but she is making a false comparison. While some have used walls to "control their people", Trump has no such motivation. The border wall will do nothing to hinder an American who wants to travel south or who wants to return to the US. Trump's wall will only protect Americans from those who would harm the US and its citizens.

There is nothing "authoritarian" about that.

Jack, then why did people build fences or barriers for their homes?

Jack, then why did people build fences or barriers for their homes?

According to that opinion writer, people build fences around their homes to keep the residents from escaping.

"Good fences make good neighbors." -- Robert Frost, poet.

Back
Top Bottom