• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's VP - Should It Be A Lady?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Is it, or would it be in Trump's best interest (assuming he actually wants to be POTUS) to pick a female VP running-mate?

After all the comments and brooo-haha's over his many, MANY sexist moments in his life-time, does he almost HAVE to name a female as his choice?

Assuming he doesn't pick a festering cancer like Sarah Palin, would you advise him to go that route?

Who would you suggest?

I wonder if it's legal for Trump and Clinton to be each other's VPs? It would be a travesty for America, but a blessing for internet memes.

Yes, I would advise him to pick a woman. It can only help.

I am not familiar with the Republicans' female roster at the moment, though. Condi Rice and Kay Granger ( the only female Texas Representative) are the only sane, intelligent ones that come to mind but certainly there are others.

If he doesn't go with a female he should go with a Hispanic. A Hispanic female would be the jack pot but the odds of finding a qualified one actually willing to be Trump's #2 are probably slim.

It doesn't matter, whoever it ends up being clearly will have sold their soul. Or in the case of a Newt Gingrich lacked one to begin with.

To the Devil?

My overall point is this: IF Trump's VP candidate happens to be a woman or a minority, that person will either be viewed as completely lacking self-respect and/or a sellout to any intelligent observer. So I'm not sure it'll matter who he picks - those who understand who or what he is will view him the same way they did before, those who are already predisposed to voting for him will be like "see, he's not a misogynist or racist."

I can't be the only one that finds something messed up about this concept.

Is it, or would it be in Trump's best interest (assuming he actually wants to be POTUS) to pick a female VP running-mate?

After all the comments and brooo-haha's over his many, MANY sexist moments in his life-time, does he almost HAVE to name a female as his choice?

Assuming he doesn't pick a festering cancer like Sarah Palin, would you advise him to go that route?

Who would you suggest?

That woman that ruined McCain's chances of winning would be a good choice.

Who would you suggest?

For starters, I would note that the notion of a VP helping a President to do better with a select demographic or even in a select geographic area is largely overblown. People are just more inclined to choose the President based on who that President will be rather than worry themselves about the small legislative impact that a VP can have on the Presidency or the chance of the VP becoming the new President in an emergency situation.

Then, you can consider the fact that Trump's lack of favorability amongst women is largely built into the cake at this point. Even to the point where Priebus claims that it doesn't really bother him.

Assuming that he actually wants to be President and that he wants to pursue an actual legislative agenda, then I don't see any reason why he shouldn't just go all-in on a strategy of "getting the job done despite irrelevant (or so the argument would go) negatives" and choose someone like Newt Gingrich or Chris Christie.

That woman that ruined McCain's chances of winning would be a good choice.

It's quite amazing when you type "most powerful GOP women" into google that her name pops up right at the top.

That alone should tell republicans it's time to destroy the party, and start building something new from the ground up.

Who would you suggest?

I do not think it would have much effect one way or another. Picking a female running mate is not going to magically make Trump better liked by women.

I do not think it would have much effect one way or another. Picking a female running mate is not going to magically make Trump better liked by women.

Maybe. Maybe not. There's going to be an absolute crap-ton of fence sitters going into this election. People who just can't make up their mind which stinking piece of sewer scum to vote for. Some teeny-tiny push in either direction could easily determine who gets the vote.

Sure, there are haters who wouldn't vote for candidate ______________ even if Jesus himself reappeared and agreed to be that person's VP.

But I'd guess there's plenty of fence-sitters just looking for anything to push them one way or the other.

A VP choice might be that one thing. Maybe.

Maybe. Maybe not. There's going to be an absolute crap-ton of fence sitters going into this election. People who just can't make up their mind which stinking piece of sewer scum to vote for. Some teeny-tiny push in either direction could easily determine who gets the vote.

Sure, there are haters who wouldn't vote for candidate ______________ even if Jesus himself reappeared and agreed to be that person's VP.

But I'd guess there's plenty of fence-sitters just looking for anything to push them one way or the other.

I cannot see it affecting fence sitters. There are just too many other aspects to a VP choice that would likely have more of an effect.

I cannot see it affecting fence sitters. There are just too many other aspects to a VP choice that would likely have more of an effect.

I think you over-estimate many a fence sitter. :lol:

let's face it. Those who want to see a woman in the Oval Office are going to vote for Hillary (especially if that is one of their driving goals for voting). Adding a woman as window dressing to the Trump campaign will only make him look more two faced if that is possible.

It's quite amazing when you type "most powerful GOP women" into google that her name pops up right at the top.

That alone should tell republicans it's time to destroy the party, and start building something new from the ground up.

Oh yes. The good old USA is full of interesting surprises these days.

let's face it. Those who want to see a woman in the Oval Office are going to vote for Hillary (especially if that is one of their driving goals for voting). Adding a woman as window dressing to the Trump campaign will only make him look more two faced if that is possible.

I think it's more about potentially adding a Yin to the Yang. Somebody who might actually make him think more about what he's going to do or say. Somebody who might be able to pull in the reins a little more when needed. A counter-point.

I honest to god do not know what I'm going to do come November. It's like asking me which **** sandwich I want to take a bite out of.

Last poll I saw showed 19% of likely voters didn't know whom they would vote for in a Trump/Clinton showdown. Lots of little things add up.

Who would you suggest?

The problem is, Trump - being Trump - won't pick a lady. He might pick a female, but he won't pick a lady.

And before anyone starts calling me a misogynist, I hold the same standard of men - Trump is a male...but he's certainly not a gentleman.

He doesn't need to choose a female, but he should choose someone whom female voters respect. That's how it's worked in the past.

I think picking a female candidate to assuage women would just be a transparent ploy and not improve things for the man.

Last poll I saw showed 19% of likely voters didn't know whom they would vote for in a Trump/Clinton showdown. Lots of little things add up.

They do. Weirdly Trump University is one of the things that tops my list of reasons to hate Trump. To me it exemplifies how sleazy he is. Then you have Hilary and her cavalier attitude with sensitive information. I really, really hope one of the third parties can get into some double digits this year.

Back
Top Bottom