• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Unusual Plan to Lower the Debt: Sell Off 16 Trillion In Gov't Assets

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Donald Trump'''s Unusual Plan to Lower the National Debt: Sell Off Government Assets - NBC News

As president, Donald Trump would sell off $16 trillion worth of U.S. government assets in order to fulfill his pledge to eliminate the national debt in eight years, senior adviser with the campaign Barry Bennett said.

"The United States government owns more real estate than anybody else, more land than anybody else, more energy than anybody else," Bennett told Chris Jansing Sunday on MSNBC. "We can get rid of government buildings we're not using, we can extract the energy from government lands, we can do all kinds of things to extract value from the assets that we hold."

In a wide-ranging interview with The Washington Post, Trump said he would get rid of the $19 trillion national debt "over a period of eight years." The article noted that most economists would consider Trump's proposal impossible, as it could require slashing the annual federal budget by more than half.

However, when pressed on whether the United States could sell off $16 trillion worth of assets, Bennett responded affirmatively on Sunday. "Oh, my goodness," he said. "Do you know how much land we have? You know how much oil is off shore? And in government lands? Easily." The federal government's assets totaled $3.2 trillion as of September 2015, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office. However, that does not include stewardship assets or natural resources......................

Now I ask you.............Is this man sane...................Sell the USA to pay off the debt................Now there's a plan that knocks your socks off.........

I am flabbergasted that this dodo head has any supporters.............

Sell the USA......that's the ticket..........

Another one? Really?

I bet that an absolute TON of claim holders would buy up the BLM land they have claims on in a heartbeat..

Aside from the fact that we don't have $16 Trillion in assets to sell I'm pretty sure that there isn't anyone out there with $16 Trillion to actually buy the stuff.

Aside from the fact that we don't have $16 Trillion in assets to sell I'm pretty sure that there isn't anyone out there with $16 Trillion to actually buy the stuff.
I'm a little short now - but if you give me awhile to save, I'd like to buy America! :mrgreen:

What makes you think it has to b one person and what makes you think that we don't have the assets?

OP: "Do you know how much land we have? You know how much oil is off shore? And in government lands? Easily."

Do you know anything about claims that I mentioned previously in this thread?
Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg

Pretty much all of that west of Texas..

Maybe it's a good idea , before Berniacts take it for free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But, but, WINNING! ?

I'm in favor of selling off government stuff to help pay down the debt. But I don't think we have enough, nor do I think it is anything but a short term solution if we don't fix the deficit. Trump intends to make the deficit worse, so.... :shrug:

Who needs stuff like national forests or even trees? It's not like they produce oxygen and are nice to hike in or anything....

We should start by selling our overseas military bases to the countries where they are situated. The land, buildings, and all of the equipment that is not subject to being secret. Lock, stock, and barrel.

Donald Trump'''s Unusual Plan to Lower the National Debt: Sell Off Government Assets - NBC News

As president, Donald Trump would sell off $16 trillion worth of U.S. government assets in order to fulfill his pledge to eliminate the national debt in eight years, senior adviser with the campaign Barry Bennett said.

"The United States government owns more real estate than anybody else, more land than anybody else, more energy than anybody else," Bennett told Chris Jansing Sunday on MSNBC. "We can get rid of government buildings we're not using, we can extract the energy from government lands, we can do all kinds of things to extract value from the assets that we hold."

In a wide-ranging interview with The Washington Post, Trump said he would get rid of the $19 trillion national debt "over a period of eight years." The article noted that most economists would consider Trump's proposal impossible, as it could require slashing the annual federal budget by more than half.

However, when pressed on whether the United States could sell off $16 trillion worth of assets, Bennett responded affirmatively on Sunday. "Oh, my goodness," he said. "Do you know how much land we have? You know how much oil is off shore? And in government lands? Easily." The federal government's assets totaled $3.2 trillion as of September 2015, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office. However, that does not include stewardship assets or natural resources......................

Now I ask you.............Is this man sane...................Sell the USA to pay off the debt................Now there's a plan that knocks your socks off.........

I am flabbergasted that this dodo head has any supporters.............

Sell the USA......that's the ticket..........

It makes perfect sense to me. The congress has sold out the U.S. for decades. Why not clean up the mess?

We should start by selling our overseas military bases to the countries where they are situated. The land, buildings, and all of the equipment that is not subject to being secret. Lock, stock, and barrel.

I would agree depending on the location. We can move MUCH faster than before. We need less places to refuel too. Would make sense to me.

What makes you think it has to b one person and what makes you think that we don't have the assets?

OP: "Do you know how much land we have? You know how much oil is off shore? And in government lands? Easily."

Do you know anything about claims that I mentioned previously in this thread?
Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

look have far they have gone.

it anyone wants the info, i can show you in the constitutional convention notes, were it states......... the federal government meaning congress has no authority off of federal property

Back
Top Bottom