• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Trade War

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
In my past forum life I had a thread about "The Great Trade War of 2018" which was, of course, initiated by Trump. Well, it's about to be 2019 so that wouldn't fit, so it's time to just call it what it is: Trump's trade war. And that trade war is still ongoing. Right now, the main focus of the trade war is with China since the signing of NAFTA 2.0, but Trump still has not lifted the steel and aluminum tariffs against the national security threats from our enemies, Canada and Mexico.

That being said, I think we're in at least round #2 of Trump's farmer welfare to soybean and other farmers who are suffering because of the trade war. China is not buying soybeans from the US, and for the first since the trade war started, there were zero imports of US soybeans into China. No American-based tofu!

China imports zero U.S. soybeans in November for first time since trade war started

This seems like a vicious cycle: we have to borrow money from China to pay farmers who can't ship soybeans to China because of Trump's trade war.

But hey, it's not like Trump didn't warn us. He's been talking about tariffs for decades. Like the wall, Trump loves nostalgic relics that simply do not work.

This seems like a vicious cycle: we have to borrow money from China to pay farmers who can't ship soybeans to China because of Trump's trade war.

Excellent point.

In my past forum life I had a thread about "The Great Trade War of 2018" which was, of course, initiated by Trump. Well, it's about to be 2019 so that wouldn't fit, so it's time to just call it what it is: Trump's trade war. And that trade war is still ongoing. Right now, the main focus of the trade war is with China since the signing of NAFTA 2.0, but Trump still has not lifted the steel and aluminum tariffs against the national security threats from our enemies, Canada and Mexico.

That being said, I think we're in at least round #2 of Trump's farmer welfare to soybean and other farmers who are suffering because of the trade war. China is not buying soybeans from the US, and for the first since the trade war started, there were zero imports of US soybeans into China. No American-based tofu!

China imports zero U.S. soybeans in November for first time since trade war started

But hey, it's not like Trump didn't warn us. He's been talking about tariffs for decades. Like the wall, Trump loves nostalgic relics that simply do not work.

I find it odd that (Trump supporting) conservatives will defend protectionism so vigorously. I'm not that educated on the topic, but my instincts tell me, that horse has left the barn, referring to the global economy.

I find it odd that (Trump supporting) conservatives will defend protectionism so vigorously. I'm not that educated on the topic, but my instincts tell me, that horse has left the barn, referring to the global economy.

Conservatives -- at least the ones I knew pre-2015 -- used to hate protectionism.

Conservatism may not be dead, but it darn sure appears to be on life-support.

I believe the steel for trumpie's spiked picket fence (with 9 inch gaps) is going to cost 25% more if he doesn't lift the tariffs and let things stabilize before the materials are purchased. That % may have changed in the last 2 weeks???

The 1950's aren't coming back. Edsel Trump was a failure.

The Democratic Party might be right and all intellectual property rights needs to be erased and all American manufacturing should be eliminated because child slave labor produces lower cost products - which Americans can buy with their government welfare checks with an endless supply of debt-money loaned by China that the USA pays interest on by borrowing that too from China.

In this way, no American has to work any dangerous manufacturing job again. Foreign slave will do that for us - but since it is in another country it isn't like the technically are our slaves. The Democratic Party is always very clever in endless ways to make other people their slaves - but with technical legal deniability.

Fundamental flaw is you assigning blame for a trade war on trump. He didnt start it. He is fighting against it.

We as a nation are not obligated to fold our hand just to satisfy dome imaginary moral standard set by whomever. We have a right to expect and demand reciproted value in our exchanges.

Anyone on the left please explain to me what's wrong with that concept or his execution of it because for the life of me I'm not understanding what the complaint is.

What is the lurking fear your trying to dissuade our nation from experiencing?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We are now seeing conservatives defend eminent domain in the name of the Trump Wall. The psychological power of a cult can be amazing.

Damn. Trump was right, China must be getting tired of all the winning. Surely they prefer a little challenge?

The Democratic Party might be right and all intellectual property rights needs to be erased and all American manufacturing should be eliminated because child slave labor produces lower cost products - which Americans can buy with their government welfare checks with an endless supply of debt-money loaned by China that the USA pays interest on by borrowing that too from China.

Far be it for me to accuse anyone of lying. But I would request links to reputable sources to confirm these assertions.

What does that mean Winston?

We agree on little but I think you know I respect your intellect. I don't think your a hack. Your opinions are well thought out and worthy of consideration.

One flaw I see you following into os that trump was elected by conservatives for being a conservative.

I dont carte how you or anyone catagotizes me but I'm an avid trump supporter and I'm not nearly as nearly catsogizuable as the theboutdide forces would like to convince I am.

I'm not dumb. I play chess at slightly below a masters level. I'm not chained to religion, I'm an unapologetic atheist, I defend a persons right to love whomever they want, i dont care what you ingest for whatever purpose you hope to desire, i dont care if you want to kill the unborn, whatever your values are belong to you not me.

Leave me out of your private Idaho and i will leave you out of mine. That's the gist of how i walk through this life.

With everything i just told you i want to ask yourself something about me i am not z like warm trumper. I'm full on board.

I font agree with him about everything but he is fighting for something none of them have fought for for as long as i been alive

He represents autonomy.
Whp pn the left represents that
Maybe AOC?
Watching her and i disagree with her opinions but i might vote for her post Trump

You still spinning, aren't you?

There's no trade war...simply hard nosed trade negotiations, fights to protect ourselves from dishonest and illegal practices by the Chinese, oh...and that steel and aluminum stuff...we'll see if Canada and Mexico stop trying to pawn off cheap Chinese steel on the US. If they do, maybe we'll life the tariff on them. Same for a bunch of other countries.

What does that mean Winston?

We agree on little but I think you know I respect your intellect. I don't think your a hack. Your opinions are well thought out and worthy of consideration.

One flaw I see you following into os that trump was elected by conservatives for being a conservative.

I dont carte how you or anyone catagotizes me but I'm an avid trump supporter and I'm not nearly as nearly catsogizuable as the theboutdide forces would like to convince I am.

I'm not dumb. I play chess at slightly below a masters level. I'm not chained to religion, I'm an unapologetic atheist, I defend a persons right to love whomever they want, i dont care what you ingest for whatever purpose you hope to desire, i dont care if you want to kill the unborn, whatever your values are belong to you not me.

Leave me out of your private Idaho and i will leave you out of mine. That's the gist of how i walk through this life.

With everything i just told you i want to ask yourself something about me i am not z like warm trumper. I'm full on board.

I font agree with him about everything but he is fighting for something none of them have fought for for as long as i been alive

He represents autonomy.
Whp pn the left represents that
Maybe AOC?
Watching her and i disagree with her opinions but i might vote for her post Trump

Basically, it just means that many on the right, have to argue against themselves pre-Trump. As protectionism is generally a left wing gambit.

You still spinning, aren't you?

There's no trade war...simply hard nosed trade negotiations, fights to protect ourselves from dishonest and illegal practices by the Chinese, oh...and that steel and aluminum stuff...we'll see if Canada and Mexico stop trying to pawn off cheap Chinese steel on the US. If they do, maybe we'll life the tariff on them. Same for a bunch of other countries.

You need to talk to your leader then:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077231267559755776

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

The only problem our economy has is the Fed. They don’t have a feel for the Market, they don’t understand necessary Trade Wars or Strong Dollars or even Democrat Shutdowns over Borders. The Fed is like a powerful golfer who can’t score because he has no touch - he can’t putt!

7:55 AM - 24 Dec 2018

Basically, it just means that many on the right, have to argue against themselves pre-Trump. As protectionism is generally a left wing gambit.
Ssme can be said about dems post-trump. As you point out some of his policies are the same thing the left has been arguing for in the past, to oppose him now is to oppose those things now too.

You need to talk to your leader then:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077231267559755776

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

The only problem our economy has is the Fed. They don’t have a feel for the Market, they don’t understand necessary Trade Wars or Strong Dollars or even Democrat Shutdowns over Borders. The Fed is like a powerful golfer who can’t score because he has no touch - he can’t putt!

7:55 AM - 24 Dec 2018

He's just using a term the useful idiots can understand. Kind of like when he talks nice about the stock market. The useful idiots understand those concepts. They don't understand his strategy and tactics.

It's kind of like talking to very young children. You have to speak in terms they understand, even if it doesn't fully explain what's going on.

He's just using a term the useful idiots can understand. Kind of like when he talks nice about the stock market. The useful idiots understand those concepts. They don't understand his strategy and tactics.

It's kind of like talking to very young children. You have to speak in terms they understand, even if it doesn't fully explain what's going on.

You really don't understand what a trade war is, do you? Let me help a brother out:

What is trade war? definition and meaning - BusinessDictionary.com

Conflict between two or more nations regarding trade tariffs on each other. This type of conflict usually arises because the nations involved are trying to improve imports or exports for its own country. Trade wars have the potential of increasing the costs of certain imports if the nations involved refuse to make a compromise.

You really don't understand what a trade war is, do you? Let me help a brother out:

What is trade war? definition and meaning - BusinessDictionary.com

Conflict between two or more nations regarding trade tariffs on each other. This type of conflict usually arises because the nations involved are trying to improve imports or exports for its own country. Trade wars have the potential of increasing the costs of certain imports if the nations involved refuse to make a compromise.

That definition doesn't apply to the way...or the reason...Trump is using tariffs.

That's what I mean about useful idiots not understanding Trump's strategy or tactics.

That definition doesn't apply to the way...or the reason...Trump is using tariffs.

That's what I mean about useful idiots not understanding Trump's strategy or tactics.

Please, do tell us, specifically, how Trump's use of tariffs does not fit the definition supplied other than "nuh uh!".

Please, do tell us, specifically, how Trump's use of tariffs does not fit the definition supplied other than "nuh uh!".

Trump uses tariffs as a tool to induce other countries to negotiate trade deals or to stop illegal actions.

For example, China steals our technology. Trump wants them to stop. They won't stop. So Trump first threatens to apply tariffs. They still won't stop. Heck, they won't even TALK about stopping. So Trump applies the threatened tariffs. And on it goes.

This has nothing to do with improving imports or exports.

We are now seeing conservatives defend eminent domain in the name of the Trump Wall. The psychological power of a cult can be amazing.
I've seen you make this stupid argument at least twice now, and you have probably committed this vapidity even more if I have run across that many times myself.

Do you know, have any idea, what an American conservative is? One who harkens back to our founding values, our precious heritage and, probably most importantly, our Original Constitution.

Have ANY IDEA WHATSOEVER what the 5th Amendment states very clearly? Eminent domain, bro.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

That is the very definition of the concept.

Chaw on that a while.

Ssme can be said about dems post-trump. As you point out some of his policies are the same thing the left has been arguing for in the past, to oppose him now is to oppose those things now too.

I've been pretty clear I think the horse is out of the barn, regarding the global economy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trump uses tariffs as a tool to induce other countries to negotiate trade deals or to stop illegal actions.

For example, China steals our technology. Trump wants them to stop. They won't stop. So Trump first threatens to apply tariffs. They still won't stop. Heck, they won't even TALK about stopping. So Trump applies the threatened tariffs. And on it goes.

This has nothing to do with improving imports or exports.

Your example is only one example and does not explain the multitude of tariffs he kept wanting to apply to Chinese imports. He kept threatening them (and initiated billions of dollars worth already) because China hit back against his tariffs with tariffs of their own. AKA, a trade war.

For years Trump has talked about trade deficits. That has been what his goal has been all along, to reduce trade deficits. What causes trade deficits? When one country exports less than it imports. We have a trade deficit with China because we import much more from them than they import from us. Thus, the 2nd component of the given definition "this type of conflict usually arises because the nations involved are trying to improve imports or exports for its own country".

I realize you're still going to pretend that you're right, but you're just not.

Back
Top Bottom