• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Trade War

No, but that may be the only solution to the trade inequalities in the long run
Answer is confusing

No? Military conflict isnt coming but yes it might be coming because it may be the only sution

To be honest if we are headed for a war I'm not concerned about tariffs

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
He's just using a term the useful idiots can understand. Kind of like when he talks nice about the stock market. The useful idiots understand those concepts. They don't understand his strategy and tactics.

It's kind of like talking to very young children. You have to speak in terms they understand, even if it doesn't fully explain what's going on.

The irony is sickening as trump merely has the vocabulary and mental faculties of a (very) young child.

Trump uses tariffs as a tool to induce other countries to negotiate trade deals or to stop illegal actions.

For example, China steals our technology. Trump wants them to stop. They won't stop. So Trump first threatens to apply tariffs. They still won't stop. Heck, they won't even TALK about stopping. So Trump applies the threatened tariffs. And on it goes.

This has nothing to do with improving imports or exports.

Holy moly smh

Free trade works when all things are equal. Things are not equal between us and other nations. We treat our workers much better than they do theirs and our companies are more regulated than theirs. Tariffs provide a counterbalance to those inequities.

This is simply inane. Free trade works precisely because things are not equal! I'm so sick of (presumably) former conservatives tying themselves into mental gymnastic knots just to defend a man that anyone with a modicum of sense can see is a fool.

This is simply inane. Free trade works precisely because things are not equal! I'm so sick of (presumably) former conservatives tying themselves into mental gymnastic knots just to defend a man that anyone with a modicum of sense can see is a fool.
When you abolish things like the minimum wage and deregulate industry get back to me with your free trade srguments

When you abolish things like the minimum wage and deregulate industry get back to me with your free trade srguments

Comparative advantage includes but is not limited to labor costs. Wake up.

Comparative advantage includes but is not limited to labor costs. Wake up.
Again we do not have a free trade market. It does not make sense to pretend like we do when it puts us at a disadvantage.

Right now this is the only congress critter I like:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1078701066458406913

Jusin Amash@justinamash

Justin Amash Retweeted Donald J. Trump
When a person voluntarily exchanges money for a good or service, that person is not harmed; he gets something of value in return. A trade deficit happens every time you use money to buy something. A barter system has no trade deficits; they are a *feature* of a currency system.

Fits here because the thing with tariffs is how Trump is trying to "correct" the trade imbalances. But he either has no understanding of trade imbalances. or he believes his base does not.

If you thought it was only soybeans, well, you were wrong.

Chickpeas Sit In Silos As Trump's Trade Wars Wage On

"Thirty to 40 percent of our total revenue is in the bin," Druffel says. "And we're not sure what we want to do with it."

And it's bad times for lentils and peas, too. In the agriculture industry, these are all called pulse crops. The largest importers of U.S. pulse crops have slapped tariffs on them, and they've been sitting in silos ever since.

No welfare for these pulse crop farmers. Best they can do is borrow money from the federal government.

Question: Is Trump a dumb ass, or does he believe his followers are?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080839254656405504

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

The United States Treasury has taken in MANY billions of dollars from the Tariffs we are charging China and other countries that have not treated us fairly. In the meantime we are doing well in various Trade Negotiations currently going on. At some point this had to be done!

6:52 AM - 3 Jan 2019

Imagine that.

https://twitter.com/MikeDorning/status/1080850171418816513

Mike Dorning@MikeDorning

BREAKING: Trump economic adviser Kevin Hassett predicts "a heck of a lot of'' U.S. companies will join Apple in announcing lower than expected earnings because of trade war, per @ToluseO

7:35 AM - 3 Jan 2019

Thoughts and prayers...

Trump Has Promised to Bring Jobs Back. His Tariffs Threaten to Send Them Away

When other companies closed shop in the US and moved production to Mexico, one company did not. Now EBW Electronics, supplier of lights to automotive manufacturers, is considering moving production to Mexico because tariffs on parts they use to manufacture the lights are hurting their business. Company management is expecting that 2019 profits will be cut in half.

Ah hell no!

White House to Roll Out Bill to Expand Trump’s Tariff Powers, Sources Say

President Donald Trump is expected to urge Congress in his State of the Union address this month to pass new legislation that would expand his powers to break down non-tariff barriers to American exports, according to people familiar with the plan.

The bill, crafted by White House trade adviser Peter Navarro’s office along with the Trade Representative’s office and the Commerce Department, would seek to give the president broad authority to increase U.S. tariffs if he considers other countries’ tariff and non-tariff measures to be too restrictive, a person briefed on the legislation said.

C'mon Republicans, let's finally grow a spine and make this "bill" DOA.

Back
Top Bottom