• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's tax returns must be released to Congress, DOJ says

Are you offering up Ivanka and Jared?
Wow, are you unaware of who the President is? I can understand the willful denial, under the circumstances.

[A president's children] can gift to [the president] half of all his income from his international deals, and nothing would need to be revealed on [the president's] tax returns.

There, fixed for you.

did you READ your article

they didnt go after INDIVIDUALS....they were looking at groups

both conservative and liberal groups claiming tax exempt status

Back in 2013, Republicans thought the Internal Revenue Service under President Barack Obama was mistreating conservative groups that wanted to be recognized as tax-exempt nonprofits. So they asked the IRS to hand over tax information for conservative groups such as Crossroads GPS as well as a few liberal groups such as Priorities USA.
They went after individuals as well.

The IRS is required to provide reports to Congress, via the Joint Committee on Taxation, on refunds for individuals that exceed $2 million. But the agency is not obligated to comply with any committee requests for adjusting individual refunds.

I can keep going of you want. I have no issue proving you wrong.

Tell Congress to GET A WARRANT
LOL- I'm sure you understand one is not required, right? This is just hyperbole or ignorance? The law explicitly states that Congress can obtain any tax return it requests. Period. End of debate. It's the same law, by the way, that provides penalties for unlawful disclosure.

Not an issue to block investigation, one to permit it. tRump can't hide behind the DoJ memo claiming you can't investigate a sitting President if criminal activity is thought to be involved. Now tRump can be investigated and I'm betting a shiny nickel in many more ways to come... ✌️
1. is there a requirement for a person to disclose taxes to run for president? yes/no

the answer is NO of course....doesnt matter what he SAID....there is no LAW saying he had to release them

for 5 plus years that has driven the democrats NUTZ....

what is he hiding?
why wont he release them?
what is he afraid of?

so the democrats have been trying everything to get their hands on them ever since

it is a PHISHING expedition...hoping again to find something that will not only hurt Trump but more importantly hurt the GOP

politics just keeps getting uglier and uglier

did you READ your article

they didnt go after INDIVIDUALS....they were looking at groups

both conservative and liberal groups claiming tax exempt status

Back in 2013, Republicans thought the Internal Revenue Service under President Barack Obama was mistreating conservative groups that wanted to be recognized as tax-exempt nonprofits. So they asked the IRS to hand over tax information for conservative groups such as Crossroads GPS as well as a few liberal groups such as Priorities USA.
Congress has the power to ask for copies of anyone’s tax return thanks to a 1924 law enacted as a check on corruption in the executive branch.

Next paragraph you seemed to skip

They went after individuals as well.

The IRS is required to provide reports to Congress, via the Joint Committee on Taxation, on refunds for individuals that exceed $2 million. But the agency is not obligated to comply with any committee requests for adjusting individual refunds.

I can keep going of you want. I have no issue proving you wrong.
Nor any limit, apparently.

Wow, are you unaware of who the President is? I can understand the willful denial, under the circumstances.

You were suggesting a precedent of investigating family members, in answer to investigations of presidential entanglements. It was a valid answer to your post.

I'll post a few links because I know the wp tends to have a pay wall for a lot of people, but it's on a ton of websites already.

Basically the doj reversed the prior decision under barr.which we knew barr was doing to protect trump best he could.
Congress had every right to see his taxes.
Trump is no longer president, not a candidate for any office. Why? So a Republican DOJ said no, a Democratic DOJ says yes. No surprise there. Except the most highly partisans, who cares? The people decided in 2016 and 2020 without them, although the people knew Trump wasn't going to release his tax returns. Now Trump is basically history. He doesn't know that yet, but he is. So whoopee do, nothing here unexpected in today's modern political era of polarization, the great divide and the super, mega, ultra-high partisanship. Say Trump didn't have to release his taxes to congress was political partisanship, now saying Trump must release his taxes to congress is political partisanship. Nothing unusual here in our modern political era of partisanship reigns supreme.

Whoops.

This should be good for a laugh.

How quick before the leaks start? Drip, drip, drip! All of course from a unnamed high official! (Maybe Shifty shift or big boy Jerrold Lewis Nadler)
Just a perfect defection for the 2022 election. All trump, All the time!
If there are leaks they will come from Trump. I've seen enough from the last four years to know how this game is played.

You do realize that deliberate ignorance is not required, right?

That's why I asked why Plasma thinks Congress has a right to people's tax returns. I've gotten a bunch of response so far, and none of them have demonstrated the existence of such a right.

What tax law requires ex-presidents to hand over their tax returns to Congress?
1924 law says congress can seek anyone's tax returns.

Shrug

Back
Top Bottom