• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Speech

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Excerpts:

America is far less safe — and the world is far less stable — than when Obama made the decision to put Hillary Clinton in charge of America’s foreign policy.

I am certain it is a decision he truly regrets. Her bad instincts and her bad judgment — something pointed out by Bernie Sanders — are what caused many of the disasters unfolding today. …

But Hillary Clinton’s legacy does not have to be America’s legacy. The problems we face now — poverty and violence at home, war and destruction abroad — will last only as long as we continue relying on the same politicians who created them.

...Again, I will tell you the plain facts that have been edited out of your nightly news and your morning newspaper: Nearly Four in 10 African-American children are living in poverty, while 58% of African American youth are not employed. 2 million more Latinos are in poverty today than when the President took his oath of office less than eight years ago. Another 14 million people have left the workforce entirely.

Household incomes are down more than $4,000 since the year 2000. Our manufacturing trade deficit has reached an all-time high – nearly $800 billion in a single year. The budget is no better.

President Obama has doubled our national debt to more than $19 trillion, and growing. Yet, what do we have to show for it? Our roads and bridges are falling apart, our airports are in Third World condition, and forty-three million Americans are on food stamps.

Full text here.

It's probably good that he didn't use some aphorism like "If a person works hard he'll get ahead in life," or "America is the land of the free and the home of the brave." He'd be accused of plagiarism. Not that real people even care about plagiarism.

Excerpts:

Full text here.

It's probably good that he didn't use some aphorism like "If a person works hard he'll get ahead in life," or "America is the land of the free and the home of the brave." He'd be accused of plagiarism. Not that real people even care about plagiarism.

Yeah, Obama's presidency has been terrible and full of mistakes. What's Trump going to do about it? Nothing. He's just some huge blowhard, an egotistical ass with no plan, no clue, and no way to accomplish anything he says he's going to.

He's selling us a bill of goods and some are eating it up.

Excerpts:

Full text here.

"Real" people?

Seriously?

Yeah, Obama's presidency has been terrible and full of mistakes. What's Trump going to do about it? Nothing. He's just some huge blowhard, an egotistical ass with no plan, no clue, and no way to accomplish anything he says he's going to.

Just a suggestion...

One of the tried and true methods used by our society to pull citizens out of a financial slump is by offering government works projects to stimulate the economy.

That can include employment in infrastructure repair and major building projects like dams, monuments, military facilities, and possibly...walls(?).

Trump made his money primarily in real estate; building construction and land development. Perhaps this is why he continues to support the idea of a "great wall of America" in his speeches? :shrug:

Last edited:
While defining problems is certainly important, as is the projection of (vague?) visions of a "better America", the devil is in the policy (change?) details which must be expressed as bills and passed into law by congress critters. Proposals that increase the cost of the federal government coupled with plans to reduce federal taxation are not likely to fare well among congress critters - at some point you actually have to make dfficult budget choices. This is where Trump falls well short of convincing me that his vision can be implemented into "the law of the land".

Just a suggestion...

One of the tried and true methods used by our society to pull citizens out of a financial slump is by offering government works projects to stimulate the economy.

That can include employment in infrastructure repair and major building projects like dams, monuments, military facilities, and possibly...walls(?).

Perhaps this is why he continues to support the idea of a "great wall of America" in his speeches? :shrug:

The idea that we can get the nation's inner city poor busy building stuff in the AZ desert doesn't seem plausible to me. There are defintelly jobs that some folks just won't or can't do. The bottom line is that it is damned hard to convince folks now doing little or nothing to get federal/state benefits, other than creating more dependents, that hard, physical work is a preferable alternative. The "transtiion" from the dole to a paycheck has been talked about ever since the "great society" (war on poverty?) schemes were put into place - it is simply unrealstic to expect uneducated folks that have no job skills to suddenly "hop to it" and support themselves and their dependents.

It still beats 4-8 more years of the same. What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Just a suggestion...

Trump made his money primarily in real estate; building construction and land development. Perhaps this is why he continues to support the idea of a "great wall of America" in his speeches? :shrug:

hahaha...yes our Great Wall will end economic woes.

I'm not opposed to work projects. In fact when the banks broke our economy with reckless leveraging that ended up biting them in the ass, I felt that instead of billions and billions of dollars being thrown at the banks, we should have invested in works projects. Our infrastructure is crumbling and we need to get things fixed. So America would have come out better for it, having fixed bridges and roads and such, the People would have come out better since that money would be used for wages of far greater people building towards fixing some of our stuff instead of in the hands of a few bankers.

But alas, our system no longer works in those ways. To the banks and to wallstreet go the spoils. And Donald Trump is almost as corporate as Hillary Clinton. So I don't see the level of work projects in the future that are necessary for rebuilding America.

Trump just offers us words, I wouldn't believe him any more than I would believe Hillary. The wall is just something that gets play, so he says it.

It still beats 4-8 more years of the same. What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

That's why I don't support the Republocrats.

This is the best summation I've read of it so far: Donald Trump doesn’t want to make America great. He wants to make it afraid. - Vox

"As Jon Favreau, a former speechwriter for Obama, wrote on Twitter, this was Trump’s "Nightmare in America" speech. The address had one goal, and one goal only: to persuade Americans that their country is a dangerous, besieged hellscape, and only Donald Trump can fix it....

And this is what made Trump’s speech so truly ugly. It is one thing to whip up fear of the Other when the Other is a threat. But it is fully another to try to scare the **** out of Americans because you’re afraid they won’t vote for you unless they’re terrified. It is demagogic to warn, on national television, of foreign criminals "roaming" our streets simply because you’re behind in the polls. It’s telling that Trump fears only the threats that can be blamed on outsiders while ignoring the more lethal, more pervasive killers that afflict the citizenry."

The only thing he's got is a false narrative of fear and the suckers who buy into it.

1986 Republicans: "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

2016 Republicans: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

Excerpts:

Full text here.

This is a problem I've always had with Trump. It's the way he sells himself and his "ideas". It makes him look too obvious and too easy. With Trump I have to wonder, if it's his ideas or just stuff he hears from other people. Apparently Trump is going to get a bunch done on his FIRST day in office. This was talking points he stole from other people's campaign promises. If so, is that really better than "bought and paid for politicians"? It's almost like he is mocking every single Republican belief and/or tradition. Not even the LGBT community like his pandering.

Trump was acting like he had a magic wand and just because he summed up the Republican platform pretty simply. Republicans are suddenly cheering for it??

Trump speaks the truth on the trade deficit, the national debt, the decline of the average workers salary, the increase in poverty etc, etc and the Democrats say he is spreading fear and hate. The truth is the Democrats don't want the truth to be known. We are supposed to just all be full of hope and change, everything is going great and we all appreciate their benevolence.

The idea that we can get the nation's inner city poor busy building stuff in the AZ desert doesn't seem plausible to me. There are defintelly jobs that some folks just won't or can't do. The bottom line is that it is damned hard to convince folks now doing little or nothing to get federal/state benefits, other than creating more dependents, that hard, physical work is a preferable alternative. The "transtiion" from the dole to a paycheck has been talked about ever since the "great society" (war on poverty?) schemes were put into place - it is simply unrealstic to expect uneducated folks that have no job skills to suddenly "hop to it" and support themselves and their dependents.

And it's even more unrealistic to expect Trump to do so. Unless he begins to take over everything, like Hitler did.

Trump speaks the truth on the trade deficit, the national debt, the decline of the average workers salary, the increase in poverty etc, etc and the Democrats say he is spreading fear and hate. The truth is the Democrats don't want the truth to be known. We are supposed to just all be full of hope and change, everything is going great and we all appreciate their benevolence.

What's he going to do about any of that? The Republocrat structure has led us to this point, the Republocrats aren't going to destroy it.

1986 Republicans: "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

2016 Republicans: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

That is the best summary I have seen so far.

Trump engaged in massive demagoguery last night, playing on fears of the other and warning of enemies both within and without.

Former World Chess Champion and current Russian dissident Gary Kasparov perhaps said it best...

Garry Kasparov ✔ @Kasparov63
I’ve heard this sort of speech a lot in the last 15 years and trust me, it doesn’t sound any better in Russian.

What's he going to do about any of that? The Republocrat structure has led us to this point, the Republocrats aren't going to destroy it.

We have a much better chance of any change with Trump, under Hillary the Republicrat structure will only get much, much worse.

I thought the first parts of Trump's speech was pretty good, but I felt like it dragged the longer it went.
No, he would be accused of plagiarism if he took word for word what another person said. You know, like his wife did. You know, like his campaign SAID his wife did (or the speechwriter for his wife did, however you want to frame it).

We have a much better chance of any change with Trump, under Hillary the Republicrat structure will only get much, much worse.

No you don't. Chance is the same. None. Republocrats are not going to undo all that the Republocrats have strived to establish over the decades.

I tend to agree with you. He could employ a set of first rate policy academics with lots of executive and legislative experience, though. This is not to say that I would want Trump for President, as some of the policy statements he has issued seem very harmful and one could only hope he was not able to accomplish them.

What our main problem is, is that Clinton is a known dud and smalls badly of corruption. She was early to identify the Russians leveling propaganda and disinformation at Western countries and point at Cold War 2 developing. She did, however, nothing mush to counter this and she was in the White House while the Clinton/Greenspan policies stoked and heated up the irrational exuberance that has been responsible for two bubbles. And worst of all, she was SoS and at no time indicated that she had a plan to contain the dangers of multi-polarization. This is devastating, as it is the greatest danger to all our lives that we face and it is coming to a cusp. Even if climate warming is as bad as they say, multi-polarization is almost certainly worse.

I tend to agree with you. He could employ a set of first rate policy academics with lots of executive and legislative experience, though. This is not to say that I would want Trump for President, as some of the policy statements he has issued seem very harmful and one could only hope he was not able to accomplish them.

What our main problem is, is that Clinton is a known dud and smalls badly of corruption. She was early to identify the Russians leveling propaganda and disinformation at Western countries and point at Cold War 2 developing. She did, however, nothing mush to counter this and she was in the White House while the Clinton/Greenspan policies stoked and heated up the irrational exuberance that has been responsible for two bubbles. And worst of all, she was SoS and at no time indicated that she had a plan to contain the dangers of multi-polarization. This is devastating, as it is the greatest danger to all our lives that we face and it is coming to a cusp. Even if climate warming is as bad as they say, multi-polarization is almost certainly worse.

Yup, this is why I'm voting Gary Johnson.

No you don't. Chance is the same. None. Republocrats are not going to undo all that the Republocrats have strived to establish over the decades.

At least Trump will try, Hillary will only seek to advance the Republicrat agenda.

Yup, this is why I'm voting Gary Johnson.

Because Gary Johnson is going to be able to change the Republicrat system? He would have an even less chance then Trump.

Blatant fear-mongering. "America is all screwed up and only I can stop it getting worse!"

Back
Top Bottom