• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Speech

And I think voting against something rather than FOR something else, hardly ever works. Remember NoBama?

The "America is a disaster and only I can fix it" meme is never going to sell to anyone not already brainwashed into believing it. That's why so many of us are flabbergasted to see that this and "Hillary is a crook" was all the Trump had to offer.

Just a suggestion...

One of the tried and true methods used by our society to pull citizens out of a financial slump is by offering government works projects to stimulate the economy.

That can include employment in infrastructure repair and major building projects like dams, monuments, military facilities, and possibly...walls(?).

Trump made his money primarily in real estate; building construction and land development. Perhaps this is why he continues to support the idea of a "great wall of America" in his speeches? :shrug:

You know, I thought about that and said as much to co-workers days before Trump's speech. Trouble with this, however, is Trump has said he'd get Mexico to pay for it. It's kinda hard to count on such a massive construction project to unfold if you're waiting for outside financing to come through. Still, it's good to know somebody else had the same thought process. :2wave:

While defining problems is certainly important, as is the projection of (vague?) visions of a "better America", the devil is in the policy (change?) details which must be expressed as bills and passed into law by congress critters. Proposals that increase the cost of the federal government coupled with plans to reduce federal taxation are not likely to fare well among congress critters - at some point you actually have to make dfficult budget choices. This is where Trump falls well short of convincing me that his vision can be implemented into "the law of the land".

So true. If you really listen to Trump's proposals from his speech EVERYTHING would require government spending.

More local police.

More border patrol agents.

Improvement in TSA.

Deportation of illegal aliens.

Bringing back manufacturing jobs (huge capital investments which would require major changes in federal tax laws which would mean big tax incentives)

More spending on the military industrial complex to fight...not defeat...ISIL.

More spending on foreign intelligence gathering (which means increasing the size and scope of the CIA).

The list goes on and on.

Are fiscal conservative Republicans ready for this or are jobs at any cost that important? Are they ready to increase the size of government? (Wait...what am I saying!?! :doh As long as it can be explained away using "national security/national defense" as justification, they'll spend billions on anything (i.e., $500 for a hammer anyone?)).

Trump speaks the truth on the trade deficit, the national debt, the decline of the average workers salary, the increase in poverty etc, etc and the Democrats say he is spreading fear and hate.

I don't have a problem with him mentioning these things. I just think it's very disingenuous to say Democrats haven't spoken the truth on these issues let alone that they've done nothing to try to resolve them.

Our trade deficit has been a problem since the Reagan-era (re: outsourcing which began in earnest starting with his Administration). Democrats have been pushing to increase the minimum wage for quite some time now. The issue of poverty has been a concern for the Obama Administration from Day-1 and while I'll admit a good paying job is the cure, the matter can never be resolved unless you have investments in the inner city to create jobs. So, if you won't allow government jobs to be created because doing such would "increase the size of government", then you're left with the private sector to do it. But you and I both know that won't happen if the business owner doesn't see profit in it.

The truth is the Democrats don't want the truth to be known. We are supposed to just all be full of hope and change, everything is going great and we all appreciate their benevolence.

You've got to be kidding me!?! Democrats have been talking about these issues for the last 7 years! There have been many things Democrats have tried to do to bridge the gap between poverty and earnings, i.e., lower the poverty level so that those who were still unemployed or under-employed could qualify for food stamps, extend federal unemployment benefits, expand before-school meal programs, to name just a few. I can't tell you how many times Pres. Obama has asked Congress for funding to start infrastructure projects but have been rebuffed by Republicans in Congress time and time again. And let's not talk about the call for an increase to the minimum wage led primarily if not wholly by Democrats.

Truth you say? Truth is it's been Republicans who have blocked, stonewalled and resisted any initiative Democrats have tried to put forward to change the economic condition of middle-class households OR move people out of poverty into the middle-class.

More hysteria?
I've asked you three times now and you haven't answered. We'll try one last time, before I'm forced to assume you're just regurgitating partisan nonsense.

Since you feel "Nor can we continue to pay for everyone else's defense who could be paying more for their own."...does this mean you think we should no longer send aid to Israel?

The POLITICO Caucus
GOP insiders: Trump nailed it
Most pan Ted Cruz's non-endorsement speech as a selfish act.
GOP insiders: Trump nailed it - POLITICO

That Cruz screwed the pooch is the expected opinion of the R establishment, but I did not expect them to like Trump's speech this much even though all of the law and order stuff was right out the the post Reagan R playbook.

The "America is a disaster and only I can fix it" meme is never going to sell to anyone not already brainwashed into believing it. That's why so many of us are flabbergasted to see that this and "Hillary is a crook" was all the Trump had to offer.

And it appears that all Hillary is offering is 'Trump is a maniac'. We are well and truly ****ed this cycle.

The POLITICO Caucus
GOP insiders: Trump nailed it
Most pan Ted Cruz's non-endorsement speech as a selfish act.
GOP insiders: Trump nailed it - POLITICO

That Cruz screwed the pooch is the expected opinion of the R establishment, but I did not expect them to like Trump's speech this much even though all of the law and order stuff was right out the the post Reagan R playbook.

Of course they liked it. Trump's speech was all about "nation-first" only in a dark sorta way. The issues he brought up are important, true enough; I just don't believe things are as dark and gloomy as he's presented them.

Of course they liked it. Trump's speech was all about "nation-first" only in a dark sorta way. The issues he brought up are important, true enough; I just don't believe things are as dark and gloomy as he's presented them.

Which is irrelevant, because Trump the builder builds what people want to buy, it is what people believe and more importantly what they want to believe that matters to Trump when he is selling, not reality.

My dad was and by brother is a very good salesmen.

So that while The Constitution circles the drain under President Trump you can at least feel good about your principled choice.

Circles the drain be it Trump or Hillary. Might was well vote for a.sid candidate with a platform I can endorse.

Say "No!" to the lesser of two evils, vote Johnson.

Circles the drain be it Trump or Hillary. Might was well vote for a.sid candidate with a platform I can endorse.

Say "No!" to the lesser of two evils, vote Johnson.

Hillary Clinton is a conventional politician, the kind of political leader the Constitution has survived under until now. Trump is "a unique threat to American democracy" as the Washington Post said yesterday. What is the matter with people smart enough to write a grammatically correct sentence not to see that difference?

Hillary Clinton is a conventional politician, the kind of political leader the Constitution has survived under until now. Trump is "a unique threat to American democracy" as the Washington Post said yesterday. What is the matter with people smart enough to write a grammatically correct sentence not to see that difference?

There is nothing about Hillary Clinton I can endorse. the same is true for Trump. As such, I am voting third party, for a candidate I can endorse.

Now I see what Trump was up to....only 28% of white Americans are satisfied with how things are going here:

U.S. Satisfaction Higher Among Blacks, Hispanics Than Whites

And we know that the D's are hemorrhaging fed up whites.

I am feeling better about the speech.

Donald Trump comes out of his convention ahead of Hillary Clinton in the race for the White House, topping her 44% to 39% in a four-way matchup including Gary Johnson (9%) and Jill Stein (3%) and by three points in a two-way head-to-head, 48% to 45%. That latter finding represents a 6-point convention bounce for Trump, which are traditionally measured in two-way matchups.
There hasn't been a significant post-convention bounce in CNN's polling since 2000
Trump bounces into the lead - CNNPolitics.com

Which is irrelevant, because Trump the builder builds what people want to buy, it is what people believe and more importantly what they want to believe that matters to Trump when he is selling, not reality.

My dad was and by brother is a very good salesmen.

So, knowing whether or not things truly are dark and gloomy and there is cause for real despair is irrelevant, but feeling as if things aren't okay is...okay?

I thought John Oliver was nuts when he suggested it on his HBO show as this clip illustrates, but wow! :shock: You guys really are out there!!! :shock:

Donald Trump is pulling off the best con-job a salesman can present to the public and you guys are buying his BS hook, line and sinker! :doh

Yeah, Obama's presidency has been terrible and full of mistakes. What's Trump going to do about it? Nothing. He's just some huge blowhard, an egotistical ass with no plan, no clue, and no way to accomplish anything he says he's going to.

He's selling us a bill of goods and some are eating it up.
Sadly I'm still choking on what Obama sold us! 🙁

Hillary is a crook. I don't think we can blame trump for her indiscretions anymore than we should blame Monica for falling prey to her husband. If trump keeps it all in his pants that'll be more than what we can expect for the first man on the flip side.

Back
Top Bottom