• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's shutdown trap?

bubbabgone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Interesting article ...

"Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State into a trap that will enable a radical downsizing of the federal bureaucracy? In only five more days of the already "longest government shutdown in history" (25 days and counting, as of today), a heretofore obscure threshold will be reached, enabling permanent layoffs of bureaucrats furloughed 30 days or more.

Don't believe me that federal bureaucrats can be laid off? Well, in bureaucratese, a layoff is called a RIF – a Reduction in Force – and of course, it comes with a slew of civil service protections. But, if the guidelines are followed, bureaucrats can be laid off – as in no more job. It is all explained by Michael Roberts here (updated after the beginning of the partial shutdown):

A reduction in force is a thoughtful and systematic elimination of positions. For all practical purposes, a government RIF is the same thing as a layoff. ...

Organizations must stick to predetermined criteria when sorting out what happens to each employee. They must communicate with employees how and why decisions are made. ...

In deciding who stays and who goes, federal agencies must take four factors into account:
1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
3. Total federal civilian and military service
4. Performance

Agencies cannot use RIF procedures to fire bad employees."​

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/01/trumps_shutdown_trap.html

Can't imagine it actually being tried but there it is.

Interesting article ...

"Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State into a trap that will enable a radical downsizing of the federal bureaucracy? In only five more days of the already "longest government shutdown in history" (25 days and counting, as of today), a heretofore obscure threshold will be reached, enabling permanent layoffs of bureaucrats furloughed 30 days or more.

Don't believe me that federal bureaucrats can be laid off? Well, in bureaucratese, a layoff is called a RIF – a Reduction in Force – and of course, it comes with a slew of civil service protections. But, if the guidelines are followed, bureaucrats can be laid off – as in no more job. It is all explained by Michael Roberts here (updated after the beginning of the partial shutdown):

A reduction in force is a thoughtful and systematic elimination of positions. For all practical purposes, a government RIF is the same thing as a layoff. ...

Organizations must stick to predetermined criteria when sorting out what happens to each employee. They must communicate with employees how and why decisions are made. ...

In deciding who stays and who goes, federal agencies must take four factors into account:
1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
4. Performance

Interesting article? I lost interest as soon as I read "Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State"

Interesting article ...

1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
4. Performance

Only a CONservative delights when a fellow AmeriCAN looses their job.

Only a CONservative delights when a fellow AmeriCAN looses their job.

says the crowd miffed at Trump every time he brings jobs back. Obama sent our jobs overseas and you lefties cheered. Spare us your BS.

says the crowd miffed at Trump every time he brings jobs back. Obama sent our jobs overseas and you lefties cheered. Spare us your BS.

What jobs did he send overseas?

What jobs is Trump bringing back?

Interesting article ...

1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
4. Performance

Wouldn’t that maneuver affect the unemployment numbers?

Ah yes the American thinker.

A website that requires its readers never dare think.

Ever.

Know I’ve said that a thousand times but it’s worth reminding folks.

Put up a link of "jobs" trump brought back?

Interesting article ...

1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
4. Performance

That assumes the usual Trumpet position that Trump has the world by the nuts which he clearly does not. I don't think they really want to go for wholesale layoffs out of this and the standards are such that I don't even think they would get much of a drawdown out of it if they tried.

That assumes the usual Trumpet position that Trump has the world by the nuts which he clearly does not. I don't think they really want to go for wholesale layoffs out of this and the standards are such that I don't even think they would get much of a drawdown out of it if they tried.
It's not a discussion about the world's nuts.
It just notes a peculiarity of Federal employment rules.
Did you know about them?
I didn't.
Like I said I can't imagine they'd try it.

you are unaware of the common knowledge ubiquitous jobs reports? Say yes and I will.

Those aren't, necessarily, "foreign" jobs. But I'll play, YES, now put up a link about ALL the foreign jobs trump has brought back.

Interesting article ...

1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
4. Performance

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/american-thinker/

If an article you find interesting suggests that a disgraced politician who finds himself between a rock and a hard place is secretly a genius who had been socially engineering the whole thing behind the scenes in order to effect something totally different than his stated purpose, such that even in the face of an embarrassing political loss he actually secretly won his much loftier goal that he didn't tell anyone about, you might be a conspiracy theorist.

Some other 'interesting' article material from this publication:

President Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’

The state of New Jersey is currently conducting, or plans to conduct, house-to-house confiscations of banned high-capacity gun magazines.

Interesting article ...

1. Tenure
2. Veteran status
4. Performance

Yeah, and it is also a disaster for the Republicans as many of their own people will lose their jobs and income and WILL NOT vote for them in 2020. Trump ran on a better economy and more jobs for everyone and this is exactly the opposite. I cannot see him getting many votes this way, can you?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/american-thinker/

If an article you find interesting suggests that a disgraced politician who finds himself between a rock and a hard place is secretly a genius who had been socially engineering the whole thing behind the scenes in order to effect something totally different than his stated purpose, such that even in the face of an embarrassing political loss he actually secretly won his much loftier goal that he didn't tell anyone about, you might be a conspiracy theorist.

Some other 'interesting' article material from this publication:

President Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’

The state of New Jersey is currently conducting, or plans to conduct, house-to-house confiscations of banned high-capacity gun magazines.

Does the article we're talking about misstate RIF regulations?

Anyone who uses the term "deep state" immediately outs themselves as a nutter

Says the nutter who still believes in the Russian Collusion nonsense.

Those aren’t necessarily foreign jobs, it’s just tRump bragging they are; what a surprise!

You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
Members who ignore facts are what I consider facebook level noobs and I have no time for them and therefore put them on ignore permanently. Please do not do this again with me.

What has the government ever done for Trump, tax, investigate, regulate ?

tumblr_pk5t7elkg21snt40jo1_500.jpg

Looks more like a heist to me.

Due to the lapse in federal funding, this website will not be actively managed. More info. E- Verify and E-Verify services are unavailable. More info.

LAPSE IN FEDERAL FUNDING IMPACT ON DHS WEBSITE OPERATIONS NOTICE

NOTICE: Due to the lapse in federal funding, this website will not be actively managed. This website was last updated on December 21, 2018 and will not be updated until after funding is enacted. As such, information on this website may not be up to date. Transactions submitted via this website might not be processed and we will not be able to respond to inquiries until after appropriations are enacted.

Winning ! :roll:

Last edited:
You are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
Members who ignore facts are what I consider facebook level noobs and I have no time for them and therefore put them on ignore permanently. Please do not do this again with me.

You don't have to respond. But nothing in your link, except tRumps quotes, indicated the jobs were foreign jobs; sorry but your "facts" are lacking. If you post I'm entitled to comment, I'm not doing anything TO you. If you don't agree prove me wrong or don't; I DON'T CARE.:)

Exactly. Thus my comment in post #2.

Back
Top Bottom