• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Reported 'Loser' Remarks Give Biden an Opening

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

The remarks fit into the Democrat's existing strategy of painting the president as unsupportive of U.S. troops.

losers-and-suckers.png

9/4/20
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden moved quickly on Friday to capitalize on bombshell allegations that President Donald Trump called American service-members who died in combat “losers” and “suckers,” releasing a campaign ad featuring Trump’s remarks juxtaposed over the white crosses in Aisne-Marne American Military Cemetery in France. “Mr. President, if you don’t respect our troops, you can’t lead them,” Biden said in a tweet releasing the ad. Trump’s remarks — first reported by The Atlantic and confirmed in part by the Washington Post and the Associated Press — have given Biden a tailor-made opportunity to lean into an existing strategy of painting Trump as unsupportive of U.S. troops. In a speech on Monday, Biden hammered Trump for failing to address Russian bounties on U.S. troops in Afghanistan with Moscow, arguing that “not even American troops can feel safer under Trump.” Trump has a track record of blunt remarks seen by detractors as unacceptably disrespectful towards American troops. In 2016, eleven Gold Star families wrote a letter to Trump accusing him of “cheapening the sacrifice” of their deceased relatives by criticizing the parents of Captain Humayun S.M. Khan for speaking out against him at the Democratic National Convention. Khan died in Iraq in 2004.

Biden’s focus on Trump’s support for troops comes at a moment when support for the sitting U.S. president among U.S. service members appears to be sharply declining. The latest Military Times poll, released this week, shows a steady drop in support for Trump since his election four years ago. At this point in the 2016 campaign, Trump led then-candidate Hillary Clinton by 20 points. Now, Biden holds a four-point edge over Trump among active-duty troops — and that poll was released before The Atlantic story became public. The revelations about Trump’s remarks coincided with reports that the president had ordered the shuttering of the military’s independent newspaper Stars and Stripes, which publishes a print paper about U.S. troops on military bases all over the world. Democrats were quick to call for the decision to be reversed. “Not even a day after multiple sources confirm Trump disparaged U.S. service members, his admin is trying to shut down @starsandstripes, a news outlet for active duty forces and veterans that's existed since the 1800s,” tweeted Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., who sits on the Armed Services Committee.

Any president who considers our KIA heroes to be 'losers and suckers' should be unceremoniously booted out of the White House post-haste.

I like TimCast's response to this new allegation:

Timcast: "Trump says 'X' and the media reports 'Minus-X'," i.e. twisting it into it's most negative interpretation possible or simply lying about it.

This is something which we have seen over and over, with examples like "White supremacists and Nazi's are very fine people."

I am aware of Trump's comments about McCain, they were open and notorious. I did not agree with them.

I am also aware that back in the 60's (I was there and old enough to understand) once the USA was heavily involved in Vietnam, MANY people were opposed to sending Troops to Vietnam.

But IMO all those other alleged comments were "created" by those alleged sources. Which is not something new, as opportunists and "5th columnists" have constantly come forward with crap like this over the last four years. Either to gain "virtue points," or because of their own political bias.

Trump does suffer from foot-in-mouth disease. But IMO he has always been very supportive of the military in general. I do not believe he would make those statements.

Last edited:
By the way, for anybody being lured to the irresistible siren song of "nothing matters," it not only matters, it's mattered this whole time.

Polls like this don't come out of nowhere.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F13a02007-4f03-4c34-83e0-eb7e43670ce2_992x992.jpeg

I like TimCast's response to this new allegation:

Timcast: "Trump says 'X' and the media reports 'Minus-X'," i.e. twisting it into it's most negative interpretation possible or simply lying about it.

This is something which we have seen over and over, with examples like "White supremacists and Nazi's are very fine people."

I am aware of Trump's comments about McCain, they were open and notorious. I did not agree with them.

I am also aware that back in the 60's (I was there and old enough to understand) once the USA was heavily involved in Vietnam, MANY people were opposed to sending Troops to Vietnam.

But IMO all those other alleged comments were "created" by those alleged sources. Which is not something new, as opportunists and "5th columnists" have constantly come forward with crap like this over the last four years. Either to gain "virtue points," or because of their own political bias.

Trump does suffer from foot-in-mouth disease. But IMO he has always been very supportive of the military in general. I do not believe he would make those statements.

What's it like not to have a soul?

Trump has always displayed a binary nature.

You’re either a winner or a loser

He’s smart, why’d he go in the military?

What’s in it for me?

Tik Tok deal will have to pay the Treasury, we negotiated the sale

I don’t get it/never had it, never will

Nothing in the articles is the least bit out of character or lack thereof that has been on open display since JAN 2017.

By the way, for anybody being lured to the irresistible siren song of "nothing matters," it not only matters, it's mattered this whole time.

Polls like this don't come out of nowhere.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F13a02007-4f03-4c34-83e0-eb7e43670ce2_992x992.jpeg
Trump’s percentages represent those who wouldn’t take a vaccine if we had one, but would brag that we have a vaccine.

Trump’s percentages represent those who wouldn’t take a vaccine if we had one, but would brag that we have a vaccine.

Heh, that's a good point.

there's something to be learned from that chart. his unshakable base looks to be around the upper thirty percent mark. let's hope that someone at the DNC has noted that and is planning accordingly. those people will all vote. the surest DNC path to victory is increasing the voter pool.

More desperate lies. Even Trump hater Bolton, who was there, says it's bull***t.

there's something to be learned from that chart. his unshakable base looks to be around the upper thirty percent mark. let's hope that someone at the DNC has noted that and is planning accordingly. those people will all vote. the surest DNC path to victory is increasing the voter pool.

44% of the country that votes will be voting for Trump. Count on it. Getting rid of Trump is all about voter turnout; not eating into his base. At this point, being a trump supporter is like being on a plane with unbearable turbulence. What are you gonna do? Jump out of the plane? If you're still a trump supporter, the exit hatches were welded shut a long time ago.

More desperate lies. Even Trump hater Bolton, who was there, says it's bull***t.

By pretending to deny trump said that now, you're undercutting your efforts to excuse what he said later. But thank you for admitting that what he said is atrocious.

By pretending to deny trump said that now, you're undercutting your efforts to excuse what he said later.

Bolton said he'd have written a whole chapter in his book had this happened. He was there. It never happened. It's just another lie, many more of which will pour out between now and Nov 3rd.

The remarks fit into the Democrat's existing strategy of painting the president as unsupportive of U.S. troops.

losers-and-suckers.png

Any president who considers our KIA heroes to be 'losers and suckers' should be unceremoniously booted out of the White House post-haste.

Trump calls for Fox reporter to be fired for confirming parts of the story, with his usual name-calling.
Trump fumes over troops report, amplifies memo against anti-racism training at OMB - POLITICO

44% of the country that votes will be voting for Trump. Count on it. Getting rid of Trump is all about voter turnout; not eating into his base. At this point, being a trump supporter is like being on a plane with unbearable turbulence. What are you gonna do? Jump out of the plane? If you're still a trump supporter, the exit hatches were welded shut a long time ago.

You guys are even in danger in places like Minnesota and that's with the usually biased polls that underestimate Trump's support. The riots are turning the tide and it's not in the way you hoped.

Bolton said he'd have written a whole chapter in his book had this happened. He was there. It never happened. It's just another lie, many more of which will pour out between now and Nov 3rd.

Thank you for admitting that what he said is atrocious. You’re making our job easier when you try excusing his comments later.

Link on Bolton, please, though we all know you tell the truth.
Which Bolton do you believe, the one who supports your narrative or the one who doesn't?

Good job of running from the fact stated.

The point is that Trump clearly believes it. The issue isn't whether or not he is stupid enough to say it, the issue is that the President of the United States has little respect for and even less understanding of the sacrifices of the U.S. military.

The point is that Trump clearly believes it. The issue isn't whether or not he is stupid enough to say it, the issue is that the President of the United States has little respect for and even less understanding of the sacrifices of the U.S. military.

Right, that's why he's given the military its largest budgets ever, fixed the VA and is keeping us out of mindless wars. All because he thinks they're suckers.

Back
Top Bottom