• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's remarks on NATO set off freakout

Donald Trump Remarks on NATO Trigger Alarm Bells in Europe

Trump proves he’s a Putin lapdog

Trump's top adviser Paul Manafort worked for Rinat Akhmetov (Ukraine's richest oligarch). He was also a protege of Oleg Deripaska (a wealthy Russian oligarch) and was a longtime political consultant for deposed Ukraine president Viktor Yanukovych who is wanted by Interpol. From 1990-1995, Manafort was DC lobbyist ($700,000) for the Kashmiri American Council which was later exposed as a front org for Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency.

Beware. A Trump administration is a US foreign policy disaster waiting to happen.

That came from ME Cardinal, just as your comments came from YOU. :mrgreen:

Like George Washington, I believe in honest friendships with all nations, entangling alliances with none.

Gladio was a NATO initiative Cardinal, and look where we are today.

NATO served a valid purpose in the day, as did a variety of other treaty organizations to which we are signatory, but it long ago outlived its usefulness, and has become fairly well a criminal organization sponsoring military aggression all over the globe.

So you don't believe Russia is a threat to Europe anymore? Could you be any more clueless? Trump is a collaborator with Putin and a traitor. He has a dream to build a Trump tower in Moscow and will sell out Europe to do it. Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?

Personally, Trump may be a poorly informed loose cannon, but right now the prospect of an Islamic State playing the role of a major NATO "ally" is pretty scary too.

Personally, Trump may be a poorly informed loose cannon, but right now the prospect of an Islamic State playing the role of a major NATO "ally" is pretty scary too.

Yep. Its Putin/Assad, or ISIS.
It sucks, but people need to start waking up to reality.
The truth (usually) sucks ass.

TBH, the smartest decision would be neither. Pull our troops out and stop playing world police, House Clinton.

It was a threat involving the use of nuclear weapons.

No, really it was not. I was not a threat, it was stating they could put nukes in Ukraine.

Really your position is the same as Trump.

Well, except for stating that NATO is an obligation we have.

You look for any way to not hold up defense obligations.

No, I actually looked things up before I commented, and stuck to facts. Things you and Trump have trouble with.

I've said repeatedly that what Trump brings to the Presidency is nothing but chaos, in particular on the international stage. I noted that his petty snit with the mayor of London was just a tiny hors d'oeuvre -- a microcosm -- of the discord he would engender with our closest and most strategic allies. I was expecting the genuine alarms among our allies to be set off after (shudder) he might have been elected President. Trump, however, couldn't wait til January, so apparently he said "Screw it, I'll start now."

Pence, meanwhile, has been put in the position of having to appear to directly contradict Trump while also echoing his sentiments:

I already feel sorry for a Trump administration's press secretary.

Trump's remarks on NATO set off freakout - POLITICO

Bush and Rumsfeld criticized NATO's European members for not doing there fair share so Trumps criticisms are nothing new.

Only France and England have any real Military muscle and the rest of NATO is just along for the ride while contributing very little if anything at all

So you don't believe Russia is a threat to Europe anymore? Could you be any more clueless? Trump is a collaborator with Putin and a traitor. He has a dream to build a Trump tower in Moscow and will sell out Europe to do it. Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?

France and England have nukes, they can and should be responsible for their own defense

France and England have nukes, they can and should be responsible for their own defense

So you support Trump selling out Europe to Putin? Do you think Russia is a better ally to have than the EU?

I've said repeatedly that what Trump brings to the Presidency is nothing but chaos, in particular on the international stage. I noted that his petty snit with the mayor of London was just a tiny hors d'oeuvre -- a microcosm -- of the discord he would engender with our closest and most strategic allies. I was expecting the genuine alarms among our allies to be set off after (shudder) he might have been elected President. Trump, however, couldn't wait til January, so apparently he said "Screw it, I'll start now."

Pence, meanwhile, has been put in the position of having to appear to directly contradict Trump while also echoing his sentiments:

I already feel sorry for a Trump administration's press secretary.

Trump's remarks on NATO set off freakout - POLITICO

On the upside, there should be many job openings in the Damage Control Dept should Trump actually win the election. See....job creation.

Well...in typical fashion...you were attempting to argue that the Democrats are coming all unhinged. Too be honest...you have to recognize that just as many Republicans as Democrats are calling Donald Trump ignorant on foreign policy and that his statements are reckless and dangerous.

Re-read my post and tell me where I singled out Democrats.

"It's interesting to see all the straw clutching, especially by liberals, who have been railing about military spending, and demanding money be spent on infrastructure, etc.."​

I don't need to repeat myself regarding my thoughts on what some people are saying about his comments.

I read an article yesterday about the Trump campaign's VP offer to Kasich. The offer was that, as VP, Kasich would make all foreign and domestic policy decisions. So it's unclear to me what Trump actually intends to follow through on if he delegates policy decision making to Pence. If he's just going to delegate his presidential authority and responsibilities to other players then this whole thing is just another Trump scam.

Last edited:
I don't remember the same outrage from the Democrats side when Obama refused to honor our obligations with Ukraine.....

What legal obligations are you referring to?

It doesn't matter what intentions exist deep within the maddened caverns that make up Donald's id are. What matters is what he says and the chaos that ensues among our closest and most strategic allies as a result. When the leading NATO power essentially says "Screw NATO," then the individual NATO members flee to self reliance. This creates the potential for an entire line of dominos constructed entirely of Crimeas. Which, if you had bothered to so much as Wiki NATO in the first place, you would know was specifically created to prevent.

Pfffft! Let the Euro's finally ante up for their own defense. We have already seen how Europe supports places like Crimea, and it was the typical week kneed response that they always take. Besides, Crimea was ripe for the taking because it has a very large pro Russian population. (90% pro Russian)

Let them ante up............ or let em all fall down.

Pfffft! Let the Euro's finally ante up for their own defense. We have already seen how Europe supports places like Crimea, and it was the typical week kneed response that they always take. Besides, Crimea was ripe for the taking because it has a very large pro Russian population. (90% pro Russian)

Let them ante up............ or let em all fall down.

It is in the U.S. interests that our democratic trading partners not fall prey to dictators or totalitarian regimes as we would lose almost all leverage in international trade. And it would be helpful to have access to European bases, personnel, and defense forces if we should find ourselves in military conflict with China or Russia or whomever. But Trump is right that it is the U.S. military and our NATO treaty that keeps all the European nations safe. And we don't really pay a disproportionate share of the direct NATO costs, but we do spend more on defense than probably everybody else put together and they all benefit from that. It is our military that makes the NATO treaty work.

And after all these years, no American has been elected Secretary General of NATO. Alexander Vershbow is currently the deputy Secretary General, and he is the only American every to serve at that high level in NATO. So Trump definitely does have a point that we are carrying a disproportionate share of the burden. It is a deal that needs to be renegotiated.

It is in the U.S. interests that our democratic trading partners not fall prey to dictators or totalitarian regimes as we would lose almost all leverage in international trade. And it would be helpful to have access to European bases, personnel, and defense forces if we should find ourselves in military conflict with China or Russia or whomever. But Trump is right that it is the U.S. military and our NATO treaty that keeps all the European nations safe. And we don't really pay a disproportionate share of the direct NATO costs, but we do spend more on defense than probably everybody else put together and they all benefit from that. It is our military that makes the NATO treaty work.

And after all these years, no American has been elected Secretary General of NATO. Alexander Vershbow is currently the deputy Secretary General, and he is the only American every to serve at that high level in NATO. So Trump definitely does have a point that we are carrying a disproportionate share of the burden. It is a deal that needs to be renegotiated.

I agree, other than the disproportionate part of your post. I will admit that I am more hostile with my comments regarding Europe, but it is generated from seeing the USA being asked to be the world police force at the request of the European leadership in the smoke filled back rooms , and then seeing the Same Euro leadership rip the USA during press time because it may get them a few votes..

Russia is no threat to NATO. NATO has 7 million troops, and a tantamount monopoly on the world's air force, naval and military power in general. Russia is not a threat.

A nuisance at best.

Trump seems to want most of the NATO countries to contribute what they pledged to contribute. How is that going to happen without that "shock." I don't believe that he wouldn't meet our NATO commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey is almost as far from the North Atlantic as one can get in the northern hemisphere.

NATO has outlived its usefulness, and is about to get us started in WWIII.

On that, The Donald has a good point.

I hope that on some level you understand that NATO and concepts such as MAD are the very things that have kept WWIII at bay.
Trump has never made a "good point". He is a hollow shell filled with sound bytes and bankrupt of morals.
And with this type of nonsense, he will get us into a war of the likes we have never seen.

Re-read my post and tell me where I singled out Democrats.

"It's interesting to see all the straw clutching, especially by liberals, who have been railing about military spending, and demanding money be spent on infrastructure, etc.."​

I don't need to repeat myself regarding my thoughts on what some people are saying about his comments.

LOL...how many "liberals" do you honestly believe are Republicans? We know what you are saying.

I hope that on some level you understand that NATO and concepts such as MAD are the very things that have kept WWIII at bay.
Trump has never made a "good point". He is a hollow shell filled with sound bytes and bankrupt of morals.
And with this type of nonsense, he will get us into a war of the likes we have never seen.

While you're right about Trump, you're wrong about NATO, and MAD, and war in general.................

It's fascinating watching former conservatives rush to the support of a strengthened Russia at the expense of weakened (and abandoned) allies, all just because Trump drops a verbal turd without giving it any thought. One genuinely wonder if he's an evil version of Charles Xavier, because it's extremely difficult to explain how they can defend literally anything he says...even as Pence rushes to go into damage control mode and contradict it.

Russia is no threat to NATO. NATO has 7 million troops, and a tantamount monopoly on the world's air force, naval and military power in general. Russia is not a threat.

A nuisance at best.

So what you are saying is NATO works.

Well the Democrats just nominated someone who's friends with George W. Bush, so..........

Which means absolutely nothing, except you cannot form a good argument.

Back
Top Bottom