• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Policy Preferences

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
A frequent refrain among Trump's critics is that he has no policies, and then they go on to talk about a caricature of Trump that someone apparently made up out of whole cloth.

Just so we're all on the same page, here are Trump's policies:

• Opposes same sex marriage
  • Agrees with abortion restrictions
  • Agrees with keeping God in the public square
  • Wants to eliminate some EPA restrictions/regulations
  • Agrees with making voter registration easier
  • Wants to strengthen the military
  • Wants NATO allies to pay for more of their own defense
  • Wants trade deals negotiated/renegotiated to favor American workers and industries/Reduce free trade.
  • Wants a more assertive and America centered foreign policy
  • Agrees with strict punishment of crime
  • Supports the police and deplores attacks on the police
  • Supports the absolute right of citizens to keep and bear arms
  • Wants to eliminate Obamacare
  • Wants to de-prioritize green energy
  • Strongly supports school vouchers
  • Prefers market led economic recovery
  • Agrees that the wealthy should be taxed more
  • Disagrees with a pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens
  • Supports American exceptionalism
  • Wants to avoid foreign entanglements.

Just to be clear, Hillary does not always take the opposite policy from Trump. They both are in favor of keeping God in the public sphere, of taxing the wealthy more, and of reducing free trade, for example.

As to "how he's going to do all that", as his critics often bleat, he's going to do it the same way any other President does. He'll ask the Congress to pass a bill into law that he will then sign. Trump can talk about specifics all he likes, but it will be the Congress that decides about that. I assume that any policies enacted by Presidential executive power alone can be disposed of that way.

I'm not necessarily in favor of all this. I think attacking free trade will be a disaster. Taxing the wealthy more just takes money from those who know how to invest it and gives it to those who waste it. Pressing NATO at this time is a bad idea. Turning a blind eye to voter fraud is a bad idea. Trying to restrict abortion is just a waste of time. Trump says too little about de-regulating business and taking the regulatory burden off of small businesses. He's much too much a big government type of Republican. Too often he'll turn to the government for solutions where the government isn't needed. But Hillary embraces regulation of businesses with such a fervor, to the point that businesses will be bleeding, that I fear for the economy if she's elected. (Leftists always want to regulate businesses to death and then they blame capitalism when the economy goes bad. Everything you don't like about finance, health care, and the insurance industry is because of the way they are regulated by the government.)

Those come across more as positions as opposed to actual policies.

And what, exactly, is 'keeping god in the public square'. How can a supposedly omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent being be 'kept out' of anything?

A frequent refrain among Trump's critics is that he has no policies, and then they go on to talk about a caricature of Trump that someone apparently made up out of whole cloth.

• Wants trade deals negotiated/renegotiated to favor American workers and industries/Reduce free trade.

Just to be clear, Hillary does not always take the opposite policy from Trump. They both are in favor of keeping God in the public sphere, of taxing the wealthy more, and of reducing free trade, for example.

As to "how he's going to do all that", as his critics often bleat, he's going to do it the same way any other President does. He'll ask the Congress to pass a bill into law that he will then sign. Trump can talk about specifics all he likes, but it will be the Congress that decides about that. I assume that any policies enacted by Presidential executive power alone can be disposed of that way.

I'm not necessarily in favor of all this. I think attacking free trade will be a disaster. Taxing the wealthy more just takes money from those who know how to invest it and gives it to those who waste it. Pressing NATO at this time is a bad idea. Turning a blind eye to voter fraud is a bad idea. Trying to restrict abortion is just a waste of time. Trump says too little about de-regulating business and taking the regulatory burden off of small businesses. He's much too much a big government type of Republican. Too often he'll turn to the government for solutions where the government isn't needed. But Hillary embraces regulation of businesses with such a fervor, to the point that businesses will be bleeding, that I fear for the economy if she's elected. (Leftists always want to regulate businesses to death and then they blame capitalism when the economy goes bad. Everything you don't like about finance, health care, and the insurance industry is because of the way they are regulated by the government.)

At last, a real post on a Political web site. Thank you. I'm new here, but I look forward to reading your future posts.

A policy is a statement of actions that will be taken to address a position. The OP is a mix of personal opinions (including completely irrelevant ones like opposing gay marriage) and positions.

There are some definitely good points on the to do list. The main one I seem to have missed. He would prevent Clinton nominating to the Supreme Court.

Those come across more as positions as opposed to actual policies.

And what, exactly, is 'keeping god in the public square'. How can a supposedly omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent being be 'kept out' of anything?

You're right...they are positions, not policies. And not all horrible positions. But Trump is such a bad candidate that I can't see past his many, many flaws to even care about his postilions.

He horrifies me.

You're right...they are positions, not policies. And not all horrible positions. But Trump is such a bad candidate that I can't see past his many, many flaws to even care about his postilions.

He horrifies me.

Yup. And this: "Supports the absolute right of citizens to keep and bear arms"

Man, I can't wait to get that backyard nuke I've been dreaming about.

Yup. And this: "Supports the absolute right of citizens to keep and bear arms"

Man, I can't wait to get that backyard nuke I've been dreaming about.

What do you imagine the source of this imaginary right is? If you had read D.C. v. Heller, you would know Justice Scalia made clear in his decision for the majority that the right protected by the Second Amendment, like most rights, is not absolute.

I don't know what Mr. Trump's views on the Second Amendment are, if he has any, but I am sure he does not understand it well enough for those views to be informed ones. After all, this is a candidate for president who had not a clue what a questioner meant when he asked Trump for his views about the nuclear triad. He is as ignorant as the leftist dim bulbs who appear all the time on sites like this one.

Last edited:
Trump opposes same sex marriage?

What do you imagine the source of this imaginary right is? If you had read D.C. v. Heller, you would know Justice Scalia made clear in his decision for the majority that the right protected by the Second Amendment, like most rights, is not absolute.

I don't have to imagine it. I know it's bull****. There is no absolute right to bear arms.
I don't know what Mr. Trump's views on the Second Amendment are, if he has any, but I am sure he does not understand it well enough for those views to be informed ones. After all, this is a candidate for president who had not a clue what a questioner meant when he asked Trump for his views about the nuclear triad. He is as ignorant as the leftist dim bulbs who appear all the time on sites like this one.

And he wallows in his ignorance. Wears it as a bad of honor.

What do you imagine the source of this imaginary right is?

If you had read D.C. v. Heller, you would know Justice Scalia made clear in his decision for the majority that the right protected by the Second Amendment, like most rights, is not absolute.

The phrase "Supports the absolute right of citizens to keep and bear arms" appears in the list of Trump's views in the OP. So either Trump has used the word "absolute" or LowDown made it up.

The last I heard he's in favor of states making the determine, but he hasn't put up much of a fight in regards to the SC ruling.

So these are this year's beliefs?

Donald Trump's changing gun positions - CNNPolitics.com
Choose Your Gun Banner: Trump vs. Clinton All But Certain After Cruz Collapse – Bearing Arms
Trump in 1999: '''I am Very Pro-Choice''' - NBC News

Sounds like Hillary to me...

Marriage : Trump has been a consistent opponent of marriage equality. He said that he opposed it because he was a “traditional” guy, choosing to support domestic partnership benefits instead. Trump later reversed himself and said he also opposed civil unions. Despite a brief flirtation with “evolving” in 2013, Trump has consistently maintained his opposition to marriage equality, sometimes by citing polling and making an analogy to his dislike of long golf putters. After the Supreme Court ruling, Trump said the court had made its decision and, although he disagreed with the ruling, he did not support a constitutional amendment that would allow states to re-ban marriage equality. He later said he would appoint Supreme Court judges who would be committed to overturning the ruling.
Donald Trump: Opposes Nationwide Marriage Equality | Human Rights Campaign

While I disagree with Ted Cruz on gay marriage, I appreciate the position he takes a lot more than I do Trumps.

The phrase "Supports the absolute right of citizens to keep and bear arms" appears in the list of Trump's views in the OP. So either Trump has used the word "absolute" or LowDown made it up.

What matters is how the Supreme Court has defined the Second Amendment right in Heller and McDonald--not what Mr. Trump or some other ignorant person imagines that amendment means.

What matters is how the Supreme Court has defined the Second Amendment right in Heller and McDonald--not what Mr. Trump or some other ignorant person imagines that amendment means.

If Trump thinks an absolute right to keep and bear arms is attainable under his administration, it shows ignorance of how the constitution has been interpreted. That's bad for a presidential candidate.

If he does know but says "absolute" anyway, it's an indication that he's covering up a lack of workable policy positions by pandering on useless points, which also reflects poorly. (Like his apparent opposition to gay marriage)

Sounds like him -- flip flop, flip flop, flip flop

I don't think he has any problem with gay marriage. His "opposition" is purely for politics.

donald_trump_photo_president_2016_flip_flops-rf2c1d966f39043159c7d7ee09305f05b_z9cuv_324-300x300.jpg

A policy is a statement of actions that will be taken to address a position. The OP is a mix of personal opinions (including completely irrelevant ones like opposing gay marriage) and positions.

Bull****, sir. This is all we ever get from any candidate.

So these are this year's beliefs?

Sounds like Hillary to me...

If in the sense that Hillary is always changing her positions, too, then yes.

Bull****, sir. This is all we ever get from any candidate.
There's a difference between policy and position. For example, Ted Cruz does not agree with the LGBT lifestyle, but he does support their rights, and has no policies against them. Your OP is mix of both. Not that I blame you, his positions are pretty static.

I thought the position Sen. Cruz took on same-sex marriage is that because it raises no constitutional issues, it is strictly a matter for each state to decide. What a resident of any state thinks of any other state's policy on that matter should be irrelevant.

He doesn't like how it was forced through judicial fiat. IT's a theme not confined to matters of marriage for Mr. Cruz and is one reason I like him.

If Trump thinks an absolute right to keep and bear arms is attainable under his administration, it shows ignorance of how the constitution has been interpreted. That's bad for a presidential candidate.

If he does know but says "absolute" anyway, it's an indication that he's covering up a lack of workable policy positions by pandering on useless points, which also reflects poorly. (Like his apparent opposition to gay marriage)

"Absolute" is the way someone who summarized his position put it. I don't that he's ever used that term. I think it means he thinks that Second Amendment rights are individual rights.

Back
Top Bottom