• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's "Play It Down" Debacle

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Rich Lowry at NRO writes on the Woodward book that ""Trump has, in effect, authored his own tell-all book to compete with those of his niece and his former fixer." Trump wanted the focus to be positive, Lowry says, and with the exception of "a brief period of greater sobriety," has as a result "fallen down on a key aspect of presidential leadership in a crisis, which requires serious and credible communication." What he should have said, what is a lapse in leadership, is his failing to say from the beginning, "This could be bad, and we should prepare for the worst":

He spoke like a man who, in keeping with the axiom that perception is reality, was used to being able to get the media and the wider world to honor an image of himself that he created through his ebullience, carping, and sheer insistence.

But the virus couldn’t be spun or dazzled. And so, rather than changing reality to his liking, which he’d so often done in his prior life as a celebrity developer, Trump seemed out of touch with reality, an incredibly perilous position for a president.

He considered bad coronavirus numbers a personal affront, and so brushed by them or focused on what he thought were better numbers (total tests, the case fatality rate).

While Trump hewed to his rosy scenario, his administration undertook a concerted effort to solve problems related to the response. This story has gone mostly untold, in large part because the president hasn’t related it in detail and his posture has always been that the end of the pandemic is right around the corner. Trump’s ‘Play It Down’ Debacle | National Review

Should Trump have both "hewed to his rosy scenario" and told the nation to prepare for the worst?

Re: Trump’s ‘Play It Down’ Debacle

Rich Lowry at NRO writes on the Woodward book that ""Trump has, in effect, authored his own tell-all book to compete with those of his niece and his former fixer." Trump wanted the focus to be positive, Lowry says, and with the exception of "a brief period of greater sobriety," has as a result "fallen down on a key aspect of presidential leadership in a crisis, which requires serious and credible communication." What he should have said, what is a lapse in leadership, is his failing to say from the beginning, "This could be bad, and we should prepare for the worst":

He spoke like a man who, in keeping with the axiom that perception is reality, was used to being able to get the media and the wider world to honor an image of himself that he created through his ebullience, carping, and sheer insistence.

But the virus couldn’t be spun or dazzled. And so, rather than changing reality to his liking, which he’d so often done in his prior life as a celebrity developer, Trump seemed out of touch with reality, an incredibly perilous position for a president.

He considered bad coronavirus numbers a personal affront, and so brushed by them or focused on what he thought were better numbers (total tests, the case fatality rate).

While Trump hewed to his rosy scenario, his administration undertook a concerted effort to solve problems related to the response. This story has gone mostly untold, in large part because the president hasn’t related it in detail and his posture has always been that the end of the pandemic is right around the corner. Trump’s ‘Play It Down’ Debacle | National Review

Should Trump have both "hewed to his rosy scenario" and told the nation to prepare for the worst?

IMO it's only a "play it down 'debacle'" if one already has a problem with Trump and his Administration.

I've already pointed out that in emergency situations MANY first responders, and even common citizens with any training in First Aid are going to try to play down the injuries/damages to keep hope alive in the victims.

There was even valid reason for his initial actions, or must we forget both China and the WHO asserting there was "no human to human transmission," while China itself was hiding the effects it was having on it's own citizens? In fact, it seems China is still hiding the effects by reporting tiny numbers of deaths (less than 2,000) while the rest of the world is in the tens to hundreds of thousands depending on the nation.

Meanwhile, actions should speak louder than words, and all of Trump's initial actions show he was taking the Covid-19 crisis seriously. You know, things like those "travel bans" etc. that Democrats and the MSM were calling "racist and xenophobic."

Last edited:

If you believe you have to lie to avoid causing a panic, then I just don't know what to say to you.

It's only a "play it down 'debacle'" if one already has a problem with Trump and his Administration.

I've already pointed out that in emergency situations MANY first responders, and even common citizens with any training in First Aid are going to try to play down the injuries/damages to keep hope alive in the victims.

There was even valid reason for his initial actions, or must we forget both China and the WHO asserting there was "no human to human transmission," while China itself was hiding the effects it was having on it's own citizens? In fact, it seems China is still hiding the effects by reporting tiny numbers of deaths (less than 2,000) while the rest of the world is in the tens to hundreds of thousands depending on the nation.

Meanwhile, actions should speak louder than words, and all of Trump's initial actions show he was taking the Covid-19 crisis seriously.

Sorry man

At no point do the firemen tell you to just stay in your house because that brushfire heading your way is a democrat hoax.

There isn't enough gas in the ground to light this away.

Sorry man

At no point do the firemen tell you to just stay in your house because that brushfire heading your way is a democrat hoax.n't

Back atcha. Stretches credulity to the breaking point to believe that y'all would have taken a single word from the President seriously.

Sorry man

At no point do the firemen tell you to just stay in your house because that brushfire heading your way is a democrat hoax.

LOL "gaslighting?" :roll:

I wasn't born yesterday. No my friend, I was around at the time and saw how EVERYONE who opposed the Administration bought into Chinese propaganda about the "harmlessness" of this disease.

Meanwhile, Trump was not only trying to calm the nation, he was also taking preventive action. Action which was attacked by those same people in both the MSM and "opposition" who now claim they knew better and it's all Trump's fault.

Facts matter, and you cannot dismiss those facts with "it's all his fault" regardless.

Facts like this is mostly CHINA's fault, for not locking down Wuhan; not preventing foreign travel out of China; not alerting the WHO and the rest of the world to the danger. Most importantly not allowing foreign assistance and open information sharing to occur IMMEDIATELY.

Once again, Trump took action, and those actions were attacked by the "usual suspects" as being overboard, racist, and xenophobic.

Last edited:

"No, I don't take responsibility at all, because we were given a set of circumstances and we were given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time," Trump said during a press conference discussing the pandemic.
Trump says he doesn'''t '''take responsibility at all''' for lack of coronavirus testing

Here we have a leader, who doesn't think the Buck Stops with Him. Instead, he takes no responsibility.

IMO it's only a "play it down 'debacle'" if one already has a problem with Trump and his Administration.

Meanwhile, actions should speak louder than words, and all of Trump's initial actions show he was taking the Covid-19 crisis seriously. You know, things like those "travel bans" etc. that Democrats and the MSM were calling "racist and xenophobic."

One can make statements as to not alarm the public.
But when something is serious, one must still take actions and precautions to end or slow the serious threat.

Not ignore it and claim no responsibility.

15 will go to Zero.
It will magically disappear.
No, I don't take responsibility.
The reaction, is the new Dem Hoax. Just 2 weeks after he said in an interview how bad this could be.
Incompetence is the order of business from this president.

LOL "gaslighting?" :roll:

I wasn't born yesterday. No my friend, I was around at the time and saw how EVERYONE who opposed the Administration bought into Chinese propaganda about the "harmlessness" of this disease.

Meanwhile, Trump was not only trying to calm the nation, he was also taking preventive action. Action which was attacked by those same people in both the MSM and "opposition" who now claim they knew better and it's all Trump's fault.

Facts matter, and you cannot dismiss those facts with "it's all his fault" regardless.

Facts like this is mostly CHINA's fault, for not locking down Wuhan; not preventing foreign travel out of China; not alerting the WHO and the rest of the world to the danger. Most importantly not allowing foreign assistance and open information sharing to occur IMMEDIATELY.

Once again, Trump took action, and those actions were attacked by the "usual suspects" as being overboard, racist, and xenophobic.

The national response to The Pandemic, is tRUMPs fault.
He is the leader of the nation.
A leader doesn't state he takes no responsibility. A good one, anyway.

The reaction, is the new Dem Hoax. Just 2 weeks after he said in an interview how bad this could be.

You just repeat the actual kind of "hoax" he was referring to. :naughty

Simply review the recording of his statements. He was saying that the "hoax" was Democrats and the MSM blaming him for the pandemic, NOT that the pandemic was a hoax.

Your misrepresentation shows how you've bought into the "he can do no right" propaganda efforts of the MSM.

The same MSM who reported FALSELY he claimed white supremacists and Nazis were "very fine people." That the Covington kids were MAGA racists and attacking a "Native American veteran." Who have constantly and consistently "reported events" in the most distortedly negative way possible so that several studies have shown over 90% of the MSM reporting is always negatively slanted.

Reporting that I myself in thread, after thread, after thread have proven wrongly reported using the very citations posted...and their own source information to show they were lying or misrepresenting the facts.

You really should stop letting the MSM lead you around by the nose.

Last edited:

I heard the perfect response this morning, “it’s not ok to yell FIRE in a theater, unless the theater is actually on fire .”

Trump has grasped for straws throughout the pandemic, hydroxychloroquine, Remdesever, plasma and “turning the corner.”

He has finally run up against something he cannot buy off or bully. He has found people that would rather be near the center of power than have any reputation/credibility.

Trump is not the cause of the problem in this country, he has merely exploited it.

You just repeat the actual kind of "hoax" he was referring to. :naughty

Simply review the recording of his statements. He was saying that the "hoax" was Democrats and the MSM blaming him for the pandemic, NOT that the pandemic was a hoax.

Your misrepresentation shows how you've bought into the "he can do no right" propaganda efforts of the MSM.

The same MSM who reported FALSELY he claimed white supremacists and Nazis were "very fine people." That the Covington kids were MAGA racists and attacking a "Native American veteran." Who have constantly and consistently "reported events" in the most distortedly negative way possible so that several studies have shown over 90% of the MSM reporting is always negatively slanted.

Reporting that I myself in thread, after thread, after thread have proven wrongly reported using the very citations posted...and their own source information to show they were lying or misrepresenting the facts.

You really should stop letting the MSM lead you around by the nose.

Hence my statement saying, the reaction to...:doh

I didn't say, if one reads correctly, he said the pandemic was the hoax. But the reaction of the dems and MSM. Which of course were not hoaxes, as this was the worst pandemic in 100 yrs. And the USA did very little to react and contain this brand new Pandemic that became the worst in 100 yrs.

That's to be expected when the leader says
15 will go to Zero
It will magically disappear.
I take no responsibility.

Basically, a total incompetent response to the biggest pandemic in 100 yrs.

EDIT: Here is the part you attempted to refute.

Last edited:

Yes. There are certainly ways to not create panic yet be able to properly prepare people for a potentially bad scenario. The focus needs to be on establishing a course of action and reassuring the public of that plan's potential efficacy and positive outcome. I am an optimist, but what I don't appreciate is unrealistic optimism, and that's what I felt was being pushed by Trump and others during the early days of the pandemic. I was following the situation in China closely because it was topic of conversation amongst my family business's clientele who is predominantly South Korean. Based on the contagion rates and measures being taken, it didn't seem like this was going to be a minor event. Once there were cases reported in other parts of the world I assumed this would be a major pandemic. Iran and Italy's cases made it pretty clear we could have serious issues handling cases if we weren't ready to act. When I heard Trump and others state it wasn't a concern for the US, I began to doubt our readiness.

There's no question many got their public remarks wrong; we had people across the political spectrum stating this would not affect the US adversely. Where this is problematic for Trump in particular, is he stayed the course of downplaying the disease even after many shifted their positions both in action and rhetoric. Whether one takes rhetoric seriously or not, many do, and the divided approach we've seen carried out has delayed the economic recovery and disease mitigation. As I stated before, I am an optimist, but as Pasteur's said: "chance favors the prepared mind".

He should've stuck his rosy scenario up his ass and told the truth, which is undeniably very difficult for him.

Since President Trump down played the pandemic to avoid panic. Where is the panic now? We have been dealing with CV19 for months. Numbers have been reported for months. No panic.

Maybe President Trump does not give the American people enough credit in being able to handle the truth. Or maybe it was Trump who panicked .

Back
Top Bottom