• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's new NAFTA now faces skeptics in Democrat-controlled House

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://apnews.com/7aa1a218a152482594dcdb420691646b

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump spent more than a year browbeating the leaders of Canada and Mexico into agreeing to a rewrite of North American trade rules. And on Friday, leaders of those two nations are set to sign the pact at the Group of 20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Now, Trump faces what could prove a more formidable foe: His own Congress.
============================================
Good luck to him. This might prove to be interesting to watch it play out.

Should they resist, they will expose their actual sympathy for Canada and Mexico brow beaten leaders , not for a seemingly better deal for the people of America. Once again, the question will be of the left (as it is on immigration) just whose side are you on, anyway?

Should the Dems choose political suicide, I'm sure Trump would be delighted to assist.

Last edited:
It's my guess that this will get through congress without much trouble.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump spent more than a year browbeating the leaders of Canada and Mexico into agreeing to a rewrite of North American trade rules. And on Friday, leaders of those two nations are set to sign the pact at the Group of 20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

What dont they like about the deal?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shame that the House has ZERO SAY in any treaties we sign onto; they only require SENATE APPROVAL.

:shock: Ooops!!

This is one of the very few topics on which I am fairly sure that I am even less informed than Trump, so I’ll just have to see how it plays out.

Shame that the House has ZERO SAY in any treaties we sign onto; they only require SENATE APPROVAL.

It takes 2/3rds of the Senate to approve of any Treaty. Republicans do not have 2/3rds majority. Even with Independents there isn't a 2/3rds Majority. So Democrats very well could put the kibosh on this if they really want to.

Should they resist, they will expose their actual sympathy for Canada and Mexico brow beaten leaders , not for a seemingly better deal for the people of America. Once again, the question will be of the left (as it is on immigration) just whose side are you on, anyway?

Should the Dems choose political suicide, I'm sure Trump would be delighted to assist.
"many Democrats say they want the new agreement to strengthen its protections for American workers from low-wage Mexican competition. Yet any such changes could raise new objections from Republican free traders who want to limit the ways the pact could restrict corporate practices in North America."

"Many trade analysts say the new NAFTA isn’t very different from the old one despite Trump’s claim that it would “transform North America back into a manufacturing powerhouse.” “It’s really the original NAFTA,” said Mickey Kantor, a partner at the law firm of Mayer Brown and U.S. trade representative in the Clinton administration."

"For years, it was the Democrats who complained about NAFTA, which tore down most trade barriers between the U.S., Canada and Mexico. They argued that it encouraged U.S. companies to close factories, lay off American workers and move to Mexico to capitalize on cheap labor. By contrast, pro-business Republicans defended the deal, which they said encouraged an explosion in trade among the three North American countries that benefited all three."

So despite your hypeman post, it is the republicans who are against the american people while Democrats continue to be their champion. The only screw ball was that the Republican president campaigned against Republican dogma, but ended up being full of fluff and hot air either way.

... did you even read the article or did you just repeat the usual preprogrammed drivel?

It'd be nice to see our politicians side with our ALLIES Canada and Mexico instead of siding with trump's BFF - Saudi Arabia, Russia and North Korea.

Reagan, Bush and McCain would NEVER be welcome in trump's republican party.

I don't think there'll be any problem with Congress.

12:30 a.m.
President Donald Trump says he will shortly be providing formal notice to Congress that he will terminate the North American Free Trade Agreement, giving lawmakers six months to approve the replacement he recently signed.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One while returning to Washington from Argentina, Trump says: “I will be formally terminating NAFTA shortly.”

Seeking to gain leverage with skeptical lawmakers to approve the revised trade pact, Trump says Congress “will have a choice” as it considers the agreement he signed with the leaders of Mexico and Canada on Friday during the Group of 20 summit.

He says they can choose between the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement or “pre-NAFTA, which works very well.”

Trump has made renegotiating NAFTA a centerpiece of his presidency.

https://apnews.com/abd4fccb9a834b74...n=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter

Given a choice between the USMCA and whatever agreements were in effect before NAFTA, I'm thinking Congress is going to go with USMCA.

Oh...it's my understanding that the USMCA is a "trade agreement", not a "trade treaty". It is my understanding that a treaty requires a 2/3 majority vote, while an agreement only requires a simple majority. Is this correct?

It normal these days where partisanship reigns along with loyalty to political party to triumph over what may be good for the nation. Neither major party gives anything proposed or offered by the other a thought. Being offered or proposed by the other party is enough to be against it no matter the merits of it.

I don't know a thing about this new NAFTA, good, bad or indifferent. But I know the democrats will oppose it only because Trump put it together. Not whether or not it would end being good or bad for the nation. I don't think they care about that one iota. There is no hope for this country as long as our elected officials in Washington, both parties, only care about their political party, what's good for their party over what is good for the nation.

Screw you all. You hyper partisan's are the problem.

I don't think there'll be any problem with Congress.

Given a choice between the USMCA and whatever agreements were in effect before NAFTA, I'm thinking Congress is going to go with USMCA.

Oh...it's my understanding that the USMCA is a "trade agreement", not a "trade treaty". It is my understanding that a treaty requires a 2/3 majority vote, while an agreement only requires a simple majority. Is this correct?

An executive agreement requires no Senatorial approval and is not legally binding.

Should they resist they will have likely read it and found out that it';s a crap deal that this piece of **** put together just to create a Hollywood moment.

It normal these days where partisanship reigns along with loyalty to political party to triumph over what may be good for the nation. Neither major party gives anything proposed or offered by the other a thought. Being offered or proposed by the other party is enough to be against it no matter the merits of it.

I don't know a thing about this new NAFTA, good, bad or indifferent. But I know the democrats will oppose it only because Trump put it together. Not whether or not it would end being good or bad for the nation. I don't think they care about that one iota. There is no hope for this country as long as our elected officials in Washington, both parties, only care about their political party, what's good for their party over what is good for the nation.

Screw you all. You hyper partisan's are the problem.

Nonsense.

The Dem's are not the Godawful Trumpsters.

An executive agreement requires no Senatorial approval and is not legally binding.

Okay. If you say so.

So...is the USMCA a trade treaty, a trade agreement or an executive agreement?

Depending on the answer, Congress doesn't matter, Congress needs a simple majority vote or Congress needs 2/3 majority vote.

Given that Trump says this will go to Congress, it's evident that this is not an executive agreement.

Okay. If you say so.

So...is the USMCA a trade treaty, a trade agreement or an executive agreement?

Depending on the answer, Congress doesn't matter, Congress needs a simple majority vote or Congress needs 2/3 majority vote.

Given that Trump says this will go to Congress, it's evident that this is not an executive agreement.

The only question is whether it's treaty (legally binding agreements between the US and another sovereign state) or an executive agreement (political agreements between the US President and leaders of sovereign states). Treaties require Senatorial approval as instructed by the Constitution and agreements require no Senatorial approval.

The President has already discussed Senatorial approval so the USMCA is a treaty as is NAFTA.

It's my guess that this will get through congress without much trouble.
Concur. If the agreement is even marginally better than the previous one it’ll pass easily. Pelosi and other Dem leaders understand the current optics in D.C. and around the country. Obstructing a clear win would be counterproductive to their messaging of thoughtful cooperation. Only Trump and his minions don’t seem to get playing to a single group is a losing strategy.

Concur. If the agreement is even marginally better than the previous one it’ll pass easily. Pelosi and other Dem leaders understand the current optics in D.C. and around the country. Obstructing a clear win would be counterproductive to their messaging of thoughtful cooperation. Only Trump and his minions don’t seem to get playing to a single group is a losing strategy.

There is simply nothing in the NEW NAFTA that is objectionable really. It is in a word NAFTA 0.000001.

Making a big political to-do about this deal would be much like using a stinking lousy $14B in arms deals with Saudi and making that the pretext for doing absolutely nothing in response to MBS's murder of a journalist and a US resident. Who cares about exiting a $14B arms deal. Its not worth our time to "debate" a stinking $14B in arms. Just because bombastic Donald calls it a $450B does not make it so. Saudi does not even have the money to cobble together a $100B arms deal and they are not going to reshape their US based military hardware for Chinese or Russia hardware for what they can buy.

Same thing with this trade deal. There is not enough here to argue about. There will be some political posturing and it will pass. The issue was always whether Canada would climb aboard. Now that they have, if it were not for the incessant need for Congressman to posture, it would likely sail through.

The overarching context of this deal and everything Donald is that he does virtually nothing from the WH Executive for the American People and everything for himself. Everybody else is just along for the ride. First President I can remember that does not have a shred of a Public Servant in him. He simply uses his office for his own gain. Everything else is Politics, PR nonsense, bluster and rabble rousing.

Nonsense.

The Dem's are not the Godawful Trumpsters.

Both parties only look out for the good of both parties. One from the extreme far right, the other the extreme far left. If both parties were interested in the good of the country, there would be compromise, give and take. Not straight party line voting which has taken place for, perhaps the last 15 or so years. Our problems could be solved if the two parties were willing, they're not. People want compromise, most Americans want the two parties to work together to solve our problems and keep the nation moving forward. Both major parties refuse.

Here: "Fifty-four percent of Americans want political leaders in Washington to compromise to get things done. This far outpaces the 18% who would prefer that leaders stick to their beliefs even if little gets done, while the views of 28% fall somewhere in between. The gap between compromise and sticking to principles is the widest in Gallup's trend."

https://news.gallup.com/poll/220265/americans-favor-compromise-things-done-washington.aspx

This is one of the very few topics on which I am fairly sure that I am even less informed than Trump, so I’ll just have to see how it plays out.

It has become very popular, more so than in the past to take exigency and turn it into some sort of policy.

The exigency here is that NAFTA has been around long enough for the three parties to have staked out some territory. This is not only not uncommon in trade deals it is the norm.

Where was most of the attention in this NAFTA renegotiation? It was Automotive manufacturing. The best place to build parts is Mexico. The best place to assemble into finished vehicles is the US. The best place to secure raw materials is Canada. Canada has simply priced itself out of most parts manufacture and has surely priced itself out of most auto assembly. Do we think GM's definitive exit of the assembly plant in Canada is some accident? That baby is definitely closing. So a good bit of the Auto portions of the NEW NAFTA is simply reflective of what has already happened and is already happening.

We all heard and understood that the NEW NAFTA was about updating the old NAFTA. If there is some disappointment it is in that these updates are not exactly forward looking. They are for the most part backward looking and putting in print what was already happening in fact.

But it will pass the Congress...easily past some political posturing.

Obama's Iran treaty was never approved by Congress, but Obama falsely claimed it was because Senate attempts to scrap the agreement failed. What that meant was that there was not enough agreement of the Senate to either accept the agreement or reject it. Go figger.

In fact, this deal is so much the old NAFTA that if you liked that one, you will love this one. The Dems will put up most of the fight against passage. But in fact, they are hemmed in by the GOP's tax credit to businesses for moving offshore.

But I am so opposed to playing this game of change that is not change. There is nothing about this new deal that is forward looking. It's updates are only updates in the sense of putting in print what is already happening in fact. In other words...its a waste of paper. Welcome to TrumpWorld.

There is simply nothing in the NEW NAFTA that is objectionable really. It is in a word NAFTA 0.000001.

Making a big political to-do about this deal would be much like using a stinking lousy $14B in arms deals with Saudi and making that the pretext for doing absolutely nothing in response to MBS's murder of a journalist and a US resident. Who cares about exiting a $14B arms deal. Its not worth our time to "debate" a stinking $14B in arms. Just because bombastic Donald calls it a $450B does not make it so. Saudi does not even have the money to cobble together a $100B arms deal and they are not going to reshape their US based military hardware for Chinese or Russia hardware for what they can buy.

Same thing with this trade deal. There is not enough here to argue about. There will be some political posturing and it will pass. The issue was always whether Canada would climb aboard. Now that they have, if it were not for the incessant need for Congressman to posture, it would likely sail through.

The overarching context of this deal and everything Donald is that he does virtually nothing from the WH Executive for the American People and everything for himself. Everybody else is just along for the ride. First President I can remember that does not have a shred of a Public Servant in him. He simply uses his office for his own gain. Everything else is Politics, PR nonsense, bluster and rabble rousing.
Agree. Especially your view on MBS and Trump’s handling of Kashoggi’s murder. I believe Trump’s acceptance of the Saudis explanation makes us look weak and more interested in commerce than basic human decency.

Back
Top Bottom