• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's New Chief of Staff Has Previously Called for Cuts to Social Security

So people criticize Trump because of deficit spending but when one of his staff proposes making cuts to achieve that goal, people start screaming.

They want a balanced budget but they expect to not have anything affect them in the least.

:roll:

The left has NEVER wanted a balanced budget or if they did it was on the backs of the evil rich who don't have enough money if all was taken away to fund the liberal spending appetite

Trump's New Chief of Staff Has Previously Called for Cuts to Social Security

L7Y6OVAVSU2NRJHIIEXIJL22KI.jpg

New Trump Chief of Staff Mick "The Knife" Mulvaney.

Trump says one thing publicly, yet appoints someone who is diametrically opposed to this as his closest advisor.

All of you working people that are paying into SS every paycheck should know what's going on here. There's a reason they call Mulvaney "The Knife". It's what he does to govt. programs.

btw, Trump and Mulvaney are both multi-millionaires. Cuts/changes to SS won't affect them in the least.

Those who want to cut Social Security should be forced to live on it for at least six months.

Mulvaney only got the job because no one else wanted it. I wouldn't expect him to actually be the CoS, he's just going to be the title holder.

Mulaney doesn't want the job, either. He's an asshat, but he's not stupid.

Anyone who takes a White House staff position needs to have enough money to lawyer up first.

So you learned in school that tax cuts or people keeping more of WHAT THEY EARN is an expense?? An expense to who??

How did the 1% earn their riches? Didn't at least some make their money off the backs of the working class? Are they not then beholden to that working class? And if the workers and consumers are taxed so much and paid so little that they can no longer afford the goods or services offered by the 1%, where will the riches come from then?

No one seems willing to play the long game where taxes on the wealthy are concerned, least of all the wealthy themselves. None of them seem to think they should be under any obligation to give back to the citizens of the great country that allows them to make their wealth. And it is truly amazing to me how many of those in the working class have become convinced that the wealthy are somehow the victims where paying taxes are concerned.

:violin

How did the 1% earn their riches? Didn't at least some make their money off the backs of the working class? Are they not then beholden to that working class? And if the workers and consumers are taxed so much and paid so little that they can no longer afford the goods or services offered by the 1%, where will the riches come from then?

No one seems willing to play the long game where taxes on the wealthy are concerned, least of all the wealthy themselves. None of them seem to think they should be under any obligation to give back to the citizens of the great country that allows them to make their wealth. And it is truly amazing to me how many of those in the working class have become convinced that the wealthy are somehow the victims where paying taxes are concerned.

:violin

Right, it is always someone else's fault for you not making an income that others are capable of making. Making a profit off the backs of someone else? Where in the hell did you get your education?

So consumers aren't able to buy things today?

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/12/...ire-lagging-markets-former-toys-r-us-ceo.html

Why don't you answer the question that no one on the left will answer, what percentage of ones income should go to federal, state, and local taxes?? You want to drive up taxes on the rich at what benefit? does that change the amount of income you earn?

16000 doesn't bring a person out of poverty as that is well below the poverty level. still waiting for you to explain how you give an income tax cut to people who don't pay Federal Income taxes? As for the top 1% they pay 40% now, how much should they pay?

Pardon me for butting into the tete a tete here, but the current poverty level for an individual is lower than you think.

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

So people criticize Trump because of deficit spending but when one of his staff proposes making cuts to achieve that goal, people start screaming.

They want a balanced budget but they expect to not have anything affect them in the least.

:roll:

Conservatives generally like to cut the wrong things, IMO.

I believe you claimed SS kept people out of poverty when the average SS payment is 16k per year which is well below poverty.

What a pittance! Why don't you stop cashing your SS checks in protest?

What a pittance! Why don't you stop cashing your SS checks in protest?

Why? Because it is MY MONEY, forced contributions for over 35 years. Just like a liberal take from those who contributed and give it to those who haven't

Why? Because it is MY MONEY, forced contributions for over 35 years. Just like a liberal take from those who contributed and give it to those who haven't

It's not your money. The deal was you paid for the generation before you, and in turn my generation pays for you. You seem to want to break the deal for those paying your way right now--that's called biting the hand that feeds you.

If you want to break the deal, we ought to do it right now for your benes not just my theoretical future benefits that people like you are content to see eliminated with the stroke of a pen.

It's not your money. The deal was you paid for the generation before you, and in turn my generation pays for you. You seem to want to break the deal for those paying your way right now--that's called biting the hand that feeds you.

If you want to break the deal, we ought to do it right now for your benes not just my theoretical future benefits that people like you are content to see eliminated with the stroke of a pen.

LOL,another individual who doesn't have a clue, what does pay as you go mean? It was indeed my money from my paycheck that went into SS for my retirement supplement. Hundreds of thousands of dollars from my employer and me. Maybe you ought to research the purpose of SS, its intent, and how it was and is being funded

LOL,another individual who doesn't have a clue, what does pay as you go mean? It was indeed my money from my paycheck that went into SS for my retirement supplement. Hundreds of thousands of dollars from my employer and me. Maybe you ought to research the purpose of SS, its intent, and how it was and is being funded

Its purpose is keeping ingrates like you out of the poorhouse.

What does Mnuchin have to do with Mulvaney and this thread?

Nothing.

I got the wrong "M" name. My bad.

But thank you for bringing this to my attention Mamma.

How did Mulvaney get the job? Standing? Bent over? On his knees? "Yes, King Trump I pledge my never ending loyalty to you and only you. To hell with the people."

Right, it is always someone else's fault for you not making an income that others are capable of making. Making a profit off the backs of someone else? Where in the hell did you get your education?

So consumers aren't able to buy things today?

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/12/...ire-lagging-markets-former-toys-r-us-ceo.html

Why don't you answer the question that no one on the left will answer, what percentage of ones income should go to federal, state, and local taxes?? You want to drive up taxes on the rich at what benefit? does that change the amount of income you earn?

I've always been of the opinion that the sliding scale during Eisenhower's administration worked well and was fair to everyone. The middle class grew strong, and I think that tax code was part of the reason. It's so amusing to me when older conservatives wax nostalgic about the 50s, saying that we were kinder then, people didn't need to lock their doors, women were content to stay home and keep house, take care of the children, and let the man do the thinking and the earning ... and so forth and so on. But not one of them ever mentions the tax code.

I've always been of the opinion that the sliding scale during Eisenhower's administration worked well and was fair to everyone. The middle class grew strong, and I think that tax code was part of the reason. It's so amusing to me when older conservatives wax nostalgic about the 50s, saying that we were kinder then, people didn't need to lock their doors, women were content to stay home and keep house, take care of the children, and let the man do the thinking and the earning ... and so forth and so on. But not one of them ever mentions the tax code.

The problem is the tax rates are truly irrelevant as it is all about the deductions and the effective rate. revenue truly isn't the problem federal over reach and social engineering is

How many poor people have you adopted?

Oh, please ... that old saw?

No one needs to adopt the poor. A civilized and enlightened society should be able to care for those among them who can't for whatever reasons, care for themselves. Poverty could be greatly reduced, even erradicted, if we put our political will to it. Other countries manage it:

https://www.scb.se/en/finding-stati...stical-news/living-conditions-surveys-lfsilc/

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/stati...People_at_risk_of_poverty_or_social_exclusion

https://www.demos.org/blog/10/20/15/united-states-vs-denmark-17-charts

I love it when knee-jerk conservatives send me to google. Researching stuff is fun, and learning new things every day keeps my mind well-exercised. You should try it.

Oh, please ... that old saw?

No one needs to adopt the poor. A civilized and enlightened society should be able to care for those among them who can't for whatever reasons, care for themselves. Poverty could be greatly reduced, even erradicted, if we put our political will to it. Other countries manage it:

https://www.scb.se/en/finding-stati...stical-news/living-conditions-surveys-lfsilc/

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/stati...People_at_risk_of_poverty_or_social_exclusion

https://www.demos.org/blog/10/20/15/united-states-vs-denmark-17-charts

I love it when knee-jerk conservatives send me to google. Researching stuff is fun, and learning new things every day keeps my mind well-exercised. You should try it.

This country was built on neighbor helping neighbor and it was never the intent that our federal bureaucrats would be that neighbor. taking money from the taxpayers in the state and local communities reduces the ability of the states and local governments to handle their own social problems. Researching apparently is fun but not very accurate and you pick and choose what you want to believe, why not basic logic and common sense. Social problems are state and local issues not federal ones. SS was established as a supplement not sole retirement and taxes were created for a specific purpose that has been abused.

So what are the "wrong things"? Probably things that free loaders receive?

I'm on Social Security (yes, I'm old), but I paid for it over the course of 48 years of working for a living. Do you consider me to be a freeloader? Would you be okay with the government cutting SS? I'm also on Medicare. Would it be okay to cut that?

Welfare and other subsistence programs are a small fraction of the budget, about 6% of the total, so cutting them only punishes the poor, who are mostly elders and disabled, including tens of thousands of veterans. Freeloaders in your opinion. But cutting those funds would not add much to the budget, it would just make for good press to people like you who are convinced that all poor people are lazy good for nothings.

This is from a few years ago, but still applies. In fact, the waste has gotten even worse.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charle...cent-1-8-trillion-spending-bill/#68b4e5fb68cd

Forbes is not a left wing source, so don't come back at me with that excuse. Read it, all of it, then come back and refute any part of it, if you can. You could also google the same thing I did, "defense programs that are a waste of money." There's more where this came from, even one from the ultra-conservative Heritage Foundation.

I'm on Social Security (yes, I'm old), but I paid for it over the course of 48 years of working for a living. Do you consider me to be a freeloader? Would you be okay with the government cutting SS? I'm also on Medicare. Would it be okay to cut that?

I don't consider anyone a free loader if they contributed to society or if they are disabled. What I don't like is illegals coming to the US and getting SNAP and free health care which costs billions. And you can't tell me there isn't waste in a budget that features a trillion dollar deficit.

I also think our congress are free loaders getting paid even the shutdown is on them (well, Trump too, but Trump donates his pay to charity). Why should these bozos get paid when they are the ones who can end the shut down?

I don't consider anyone a free loader if they contributed to society or if they are disabled. What I don't like is illegals coming to the US and getting SNAP and free health care which costs billions. And you can't tell me there isn't waste in a budget that features a trillion dollar deficit.

I also think our congress are free loaders getting paid even the shutdown is on them (well, Trump too, but Trump donates his pay to charity). Why should these bozos get paid when they are the ones who can end the shut down?

For the biggest budget wastes, look no further than the defense contractor industry.

Back
Top Bottom