• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Jujitsu

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Once again I'm forced to admire Trump's genius. As much as I despise his politics and the many stupid and mean things he's said, you can't deny that he's a freaking master of the political art. The trouble is it's impossible to prove it's really a mastery rather than just pure dumb luck.

I refer here to his attacks on the presiding judge in his civil trial over Trump University. Even right wingers call these attacks reckless, irresponsible, menacing, and . . . just plain wacko. In short, he says that Judge must be biased against him because the judge is a "Mexican."

But isn't this exactly what liberals are always saying? Isn't this precisely what identity politics means? How can liberals possibly criticize this? If you can do it to white males and whatnot -- regard them as automatically biased because of their ethnic identity -- then you can do it to others, right? And liberals do do it to others, they do it to each other.

That’s what diversity is for. That is, beyond the fairness issue, viz., that in a multiethnic country, it’s unwise and arguably unjust for high offices to be monopolized by one group. But that’s an argument for something like quotas—or, if you want to be high-minded about it, “distributive justice”—and the quota rationale for diversity is passé. The current rationale is that diversity provides “perspectives.” Perspectives to aid in getting around the law and procedure. Otherwise, who cares about diversity? Just apply the law. Simple.

Trump is taking for granted—because he is not blind—that ethnic Democratic judges will rule in the interests of their party and of their ethnic bloc. That’s what they’re supposed to do. The MSM and the overall narrative say this is just fine. It’s only bad when someone like Trump points it out in a negative way. If a properly sanctified liberal had said “This man is a good judge because his background gives him the perspective to see past narrow, technical legalities and grasp the larger justice,” not only would no one have complained, that comment would have been widely praised. In fact, comments just like it are celebrated all the time. That is precisely what Justice Sotomayor’s “wise Latina” phrase was meant to convey.

It's the logical conclusion of identity politics -- a Latina judge won't be fair to a white man, therefore he must recuse himself. Or maybe identity politics, the whole rationale for diversity, is stupid and should be scrapped.

Trump’s Jujitsu Overthrow of Liberalism | Power Line

Once again I'm forced to admire Trump's genius. As much as I despise his politics and the many stupid and mean things he's said, you can't deny that he's a freaking master of the political art. The trouble is it's impossible to prove it's really a mastery rather than just pure dumb luck.

I refer here to his attacks on the presiding judge in his civil trial over Trump University. Even right wingers call these attacks reckless, irresponsible, menacing, and . . . just plain wacko. In short, he says that Judge must be biased against him because the judge is a "Mexican."

But isn't this exactly what liberals are always saying? Isn't this precisely what identity politics means? How can liberals possibly criticize this? If you can do it to white males and whatnot -- regard them as automatically biased because of their ethnic identity -- then you can do it to others, right? And liberals do do it to others, they do it to each other.

It's the logical conclusion of identity politics -- a Latina judge won't be fair to a white man, therefore he must recuse himself. Or maybe identity politics, the whole rationale for diversity, is stupid and should be scrapped.

It is indeed the logical conclusion of identity politics, lowdown. Good post.

Political Emotionalism, as lived by the left, leads to these hypocritical standards. Never able to view situations within the context of the "big picture", they end up with agendas of the moment.

The point you've presented here is right on.

It's the logical conclusion of identity politics -- a Latina judge won't be fair to a white man, therefore he must recuse himself.
Or maybe identity politics, the whole rationale for diversity, is stupid and should be scrapped.

Well according to Trump latinos love him so if anything the judge will be biased in his favor

Furthermore through performance art Trump is demonstrating that the exact same message can vary from being perceived as a call for a come to Jesus moment to a call for violence depending only upon who says the words.

Brilliant!

Lowdown, I promise you that Trump's temper tantrum being called brilliant is purely dumb luck. Possibly more dumb than luck.

Nailed it.

Lowdown, I promise you that Trump's temper tantrum being called brilliant is purely dumb luck. Possibly more dumb than luck.

That explanation became threadbare months ago.

Be careful, Trump may accuse you of attacking him about Korean immigrants, particularly ones named "Dum Luck".

I don't credit Trump with enough forethought to pull off parody intentionally. He may charismatic, he may be intelligent, but he is not clever.

This being the guy who has made a study of the art of professional wrestling over decades.....

You might want to reconsider.

This being the guy who has made a study of the art of professional wrestling over decades.....

You might want to reconsider.

Again, I admit that he's smart and charismatic. He knows how to spot an opportunity, and he's good at playing to a crowd.

Everything that I see from Trump is extreme and over-the-top. I have yet to find even a hint of subtlety in his character.

Again, I admit that he's smart and charismatic. He knows how to spot an opportunity, and he's good at playing to a crowd.

Everything that I see from Trump is extreme and over-the-top. I have yet to find even a hint of subtlety in his character.

Almost to a person those who spend time with Trump when he is not doing his performance art or on the job say that he is gracious and charming. He can do subtle, but that is not what gets his motor running, it is an ego thing. I think that reason you dont hear a lot about that side of Trump besides the fact that he does not advertise it is that he is not much of a social person, he is a homebody mostly.... which btw explains why he is with Melania and not Ivana......he does not have many friends to get the word out.

Last edited:
Almost to a person those who spend time with Trump when he is not doing his performance art or on the job say that he is gracious and charming. He can do subtle, but that is not what gets his motor running, it is an ego thing. I think that reason you dont hear a lot about that side of Trump besides the fact that he does not advertise it is that he is not much of a social person, he is a homebody mostly.... which btw explains why he is with Melania and not Ivana......he does not have many friends to get the word out.

I'll admit that I didn't know some of that stuff about him, but if anything, your statement backs up my original comment. I don't think this is a case of Trump being subtle, and you've correlated that he rarely takes the subtle approach to stuff.

I thunk he was just trying to trash a percieved threat, and other people took his comments a few shades deeper than they were.

I'll admit that I didn't know some of that stuff about him, but if anything, your statement backs up my original comment. I don't think this is a case of Trump being subtle, and you've correlated that he rarely takes the subtle approach to stuff.

I thunk he was just trying to trash a percieved threat, and other people took his comments a few shades deeper than they were.

This is entirely possible. On the other hand, it seems to happen with Trump on a regular basis. Setting aside the way he has defied all expectations of how his words are perceived by the electorate, i.e., he seems to gain in the polls with every ridiculous statement he makes, things happen that just can't be coincidence. Not all the time. For example, two reporters from the New York Times slam Trump in a story about his treatment of women. Then BAM, immediately the story is crushed when a woman Trump knew claims the NYT distorted her words and painted a false picture. Did Trump or his people feed that woman to the NYT? Trump gets slammed for Trump University. Hillary has her own problems with a fly by night for profit university that she and Bill made millions from. Hillary slams Trump for his treatment of women. Trump slams Hillary for her treatment of women. None of the other Republicans would have the nards to do that, but Trump knows how it will be received by the public. Same thing with the violence at San Jose. I'd bet money that Trump knew this was going to happen; he planned it that way. The folks out there see how it's being reported; yes the MSM is in the tank for Hillary, totally unfair to Trump. So, a hundred thousand more votes for Trump.

This is entirely possible. On the other hand, it seems to happen with Trump on a regular basis. Setting aside the way he has defied all expectations of how his words are perceived by the electorate, i.e., he seems to gain in the polls with every ridiculous statement he makes, things happen that just can't be coincidence. Not all the time. For example, two reporters from the New York Times slam Trump in a story about his treatment of women. Then BAM, immediately the story is crushed when a woman Trump knew claims the NYT distorted her words and painted a false picture. Did Trump or his people feed that woman to the NYT? Trump gets slammed for Trump University. Hillary has her own problems with a fly by night for profit university that she and Bill made millions from. Hillary slams Trump for his treatment of women. Trump slams Hillary for her treatment of women. None of the other Republicans would have the nards to do that, but Trump knows how it will be received by the public. Same thing with the violence at San Jose. I'd bet money that Trump knew this was going to happen; he planned it that way. The folks out there see how it's being reported; yes the MSM is in the tank for Hillary, totally unfair to Trump. So, a hundred thousand more votes for Trump.

I have not seen any numbers but I think the reputation of journalism is worse now than it was when this race started, and it sucked then. I promise you that Trump has played a part in this, not stumbling around he always wins but it is just dumb luck Trump that the elite advertise, but a result of a brilliant Trump plan and then extensive Trump efforts to execute that plan.

Back
Top Bottom