• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trumps gains with minorities: Overrated?

Puigb

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Throughout the last month, I've been hearing about Trump's supposed "historic" gains with minorities. However, if exit polls are accurate, he still lost hispanics and Asians by close to, or more than 30 points, and still got crushed with blacks. George W Bush in his reelection actually did better with minorities, especially hispanics, than Trump, which was all wiped out by Obama in 2008.

I wonder how much of Trump's "gains" with minorities are permanent, or just a matter of being an incumbent.

The real story of this election is Biden's gains with white voters, particularly educated white males who seemed to abandon Trump in large numbers. But very few people want to talk about that.

i saw where black men about tripled their votes for him this year compared to '16, but was stunned to see other minority voter changes:
... Trump won white women by a margin of 9 percentage points. This year, he won by 11 percentage points. In 2016, Democrats won Hispanic and Latina women by 44 percentage points; in 2020 they won by 39. Last cycle, Democrats won black women by 90 percentage points. This year, by 81 points. That is, in a year when a black woman was on a major party ticket for the first time in US history, the margin between Democrats and Republicans among black women shifted 9 percentage points in the other direction – towards Trump.

Trump saw comparable gains with Black and Hispanic men as well.

Overall, comparing 2016 and 2020, Trump gained 4 percentage points with African Americans, 3 percentage points with Hispanics and Latinos, and 5 percentage points with Asian Americans. ...

i saw where black men about tripled their votes for him this year compared to '16, but was stunned to see other minority voter changes:

But again, Dubya made some strong gains with minorities that were all wiped out by Obama.

There's really no evidence that Trump's gains with minorities are permanent gains for the GOP. It could just merely be a benefit from being an incumbent, or Trump's personality himself. A Tom Cotton for instance would get crushed by the Democratic candidate in 2024 (Biden or whoever) with minorities, IMO, especially if the economy gets back on track.

Well there were some Jews who supported Hitler.

Yes, In His Early Days, There Were Jews for Hitler Before the Full Horror of His Ideology Was Carried Out in the Holocaust

When you have a personality cult, it pulls in all kinds of gullible people.

Well there were some Jews who supported Hitler.

Yes, In His Early Days, There Were Jews for Hitler Before the Full Horror of His Ideology Was Carried Out in the Holocaust

When you have a personality cult, it pulls in all kinds of gullible people.

There's also very successful online manipulation, particularly with QAnon conspiracy theories. I even have a few family members of mine buy into nonsense about Democrats being pedophiles, and nonsense about Trump being some sort of savior sent down by God.

It's like the Cubs losing 20-1 on a Monday being so happy to lose 18-3 on Tuesday that they throw themselves a pizza party.

it is odd when some black voters prefer white nationalist candidates. that is generally not the case.

There were ~24% more people voting in 2020 than 2016. Changes in ratios of less than 10% could simply mean that a greater proportion of lukewarm, Trump-leaning voters in those demographics stayed home in 2016. Not surprising if such a hotly contested election as this year encourages 'everyone' to vote, and also not surprising if in 2016 folk were more motivated to vote against Trump than for him.

Throughout the last month, I've been hearing about Trump's supposed "historic" gains with minorities. However, if exit polls are accurate, he still lost hispanics and Asians by close to, or more than 30 points, and still got crushed with blacks. George W Bush in his reelection actually did better with minorities, especially hispanics, than Trump, which was all wiped out by Obama in 2008.

I wonder how much of Trump's "gains" with minorities are permanent, or just a matter of being an incumbent.

The real story of this election is Biden's gains with white voters, particularly educated white males who seemed to abandon Trump in large numbers. But very few people want to talk about that.

So the 'white nationalist' wasn't quite the white nationalist a lot of people thought he was, eh?

So the 'white nationalist' wasn't quite the white nationalist a lot of people thought he was, eh?

It could just mean more non-white people fell for right wing propaganda and were willing to either not believe it or overlook it.

Yes, Baby Bush had 11% of the Black vote in 2004

I'm still waiting for the official count with Blacks and Trump 2020

I never believed all the BS out there that Trumps was making huge gains with Blacks

Last edited:

i saw where black men about tripled their votes for him this year

Tripled? Huh?

Wealthy and or religious casual voters. Not political debate forum members. Not Msnbc or Fox watchers. People with lives and political leanings and they check a party box.

Why the need for mystery?

it is odd when some black voters prefer white nationalist candidates. that is generally not the case.

Race card alert

Race card: The Free get out of jail wild card one can play at their choosing

That was just rhetoric

Same as the rhetoric that Trumpy was going to have huge Black vote

Race card alert

Race card: The Free get out of jail wild card one can play at their choosing

Bullshit. Tweety is a white nationalist, and many former Republicans and current Tweetyists support that. Some even support it by lightning tiki torches and chanting about Jews in the streets. That doesn't sound dangerous or anything. It's amazing that so many were permanently repelled against the former Republican party by that.

... Support for the Democratic presidential candidate in general appears to be slipping among Black women as well, but to a much smaller degree. Biden still enjoyed the support of more than 9 out of every 10 Black female voters.

There were a few groups that appear to have driven this shift toward President Donald Trump among Black men. Over half of Black men (52 percent) who identified as ideologically conservative cast their vote for the president, and 1 in 3 Black men living in the Midwest also voted for him.

There was an unusual relationship between education and how Black men voted this year. About 26 percent of Black men who had a high school diploma or less supported Trump. But 22 percent of Black men with bachelor’s degrees and 20 percent of Black men with advanced degrees also supported him. Black men with some college education broke for Biden at levels comparable to those of Black women. ...

... The author and Fox News political analyst then stated a head-scratching fact that many still find difficult to rationalize.

“It stuns me to see that President Trump set a record last week by attracting the highest percentage of the non-white vote of any Republican presidential candidate in the last 60 years,” Williams wrote in an editorial for The Hill.

Perhaps must stunning, lamented Williams, “How did 12 percent of Black men vote for Trump?” ...

explains part of the reason why the blue tide did not swamp the republicans

explains part of the reason why the blue tide did not swamp the republicans

i don't understand why anyone would vote for blatant racists. the Democrats have a lot of work to do if they want to win, as gerrymandering in the coming year will make that even less likely. they did defeat the worst and most ridiculous public official in modern memory, but they lost seats in the house. they need new party leadership and a messaging strategy that works.

Some of it is incumbency.

Some of it is that minorities don't vote 100% for Democrats -- Obama's near-total lock on the black vote, for example, was the exception rather than the rule.

Most of it is that Trump picked up the minorities that previously voted for 3rd parties.

He also did some last-minute promises aimed squarely at minorities, especially Cuban-Americans and blacks.

It is a bit surprising that he gained anything, though, given how he was fairly blatant about his racist views.

I actually know some Black men who voted for Trump. They're almost always extreme Christian fundamentalists.

It's always the abortion issue with them. It's not like a Republican president is really going to change anything about abortion. We had Reagan+Bush I for 12 years and nothing changed. Bush II for 8 and nothing changed. What exactly do they think will happen?

Bullshit. Tweety is a white nationalist, and many former Republicans and current Tweetyists support that. Some even support it by lightning tiki torches and chanting about Jews in the streets. That doesn't sound dangerous or anything. It's amazing that so many were permanently repelled against the former Republican party by that.

Tweety is a white nationalist

You mean "White Nationalist" often employ Hispanic workers?(LOL)

I actually know some Black men who voted for Trump. They're almost always extreme Christian fundamentalists.

It's always the abortion issue with them. It's not like a Republican president is really going to change anything about abortion. We had Reagan+Bush I for 12 years and nothing changed. Bush II for 8 and nothing changed. What exactly do they think will happen?

They're almost always extreme Christian fundamentalists.

Which are a minority in a minority

Back
Top Bottom