• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's foreign policy faces growing dissent in Congress

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

96958A9F889DE1E4E6E3E1E4EAE2E3E0E3E2E0E2E3EA869180E2E2E2-DSXMZO3641369012102018000001-KB2-3.jpg

2/1/19
WASHINGTON — Congress is sending President Donald Trump a strong message of discontent with his foreign policy in a number of critical areas, a growing rebuke that increasingly includes members of Trump’s own Republican Party. On Afghanistan and Syria, the GOP-run Senate has issued a stern warning against the president’s plans to withdraw troops. Lawmakers in the House and Senate are questioning Trump’s diplomacy with North Korea, his easing of sanctions on a Russian oligarch and even his intent to stay involved in Yemen’s civil war. And his threats to pull out of NATO are causing consternation on Capitol Hill. The bipartisan rebuke has left the president increasingly standing alone on consequential issues of international affairs. He is seeing pushback from every corner of the ideological spectrum and across both parties. In the latest reproach, the Senate Thursday overwhelmingly passed an amendment that disapproves of the sudden withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and Syria. Forty-three Republicans backed the measure. Perhaps an even more critical component of the resolution is that it was authored by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., who has been careful not to publicly split with the president. It was also backed by Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, and James Risch, R-Idaho, the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee.

The newfound willingness to challenge the president on foreign policy by Republicans reflects tensions over his unconventional or seemingly impulsive decisions that simmered quietly during his first two years but were rarely voiced in public. Two years in, and following midterm elections in which dozens of Republicans lost their House seats, Trump’s party appears more willing to directly confront him on his more controversial decisions. Thursday's action was only the latest example of a newfound willingness by Congress to insert itself in trying to issue a course correction. Lawmakers are also expressing condemnation on issues of trade, Russia, North Korea, Yemen and NATO. In the House, Republican and Democratic lawmakers have introduced a number of pieces of legislation to oversee the president’s foreign policy. Rep. Mike Gallagher, R-Wisc., has introduced biting bills that would financially prevent the administration from removing troops from Syria and South Korea and withdrawing from NATO. His goal, he said, is "to remain engaged internationally so we can shape events and to maintain and build strong allies.” “Congress needs to claw back its authority, particularly on foreign policy,” Gallagher told NBC News. “It strikes me as the Senate reasserting its traditional role in foreign policy,” said Whit Ayres, a Republican pollster who advises numerous GOP senators. “President Trump is a nontraditional president. Some of his nontraditional positions on foreign policy diverge rather markedly from many of the senators, particularly on the Republican side.”

Republican Senators also strenuously disagreed this past week with Trump over Trump's continuing attacks on his own intelligence community. Policy should never ignore or dictate intelligence data.

It is becoming obvious to many GOP Trump supporters in Congress that Trumps foreign policy is collectively incoherent, and oftentimes based on Trumps mercurial whims rather than on reality and fact.

96958A9F889DE1E4E6E3E1E4EAE2E3E0E3E2E0E2E3EA869180E2E2E2-DSXMZO3641369012102018000001-KB2-3.jpg

Republican Senators also strenuously disagreed this past week with Trump over Trump's continuing attacks on his own intelligence community. Policy should never ignore or dictate intelligence data.

It is becoming obvious to many GOP Trump supporters in Congress that Trumps foreign policy is collectively incoherent, and oftentimes based on Trumps mercurial whims rather than on reality and fact.

Bah. Mostly mind reading and speculation.

The GOP Elites are likely getting a LOT of pressure from their big money donors. Those are the people/corporations most threatened by Trump's foreign policy and the actions he's taking to implement his policy.

I think an important point (for lack of better words) in Trump's presidency was crossed recently, during the shut-down. I'm not sure if it's an inflection point, but it's an important point none-the-less.

Trump took the GOP down a blind alley, and couldn't get them out. No matter what he did, he couldn't move the needle of public opinion, and could only watch it continuously and precipitously build against him no matter what he tried. The magic was gone. His charisma and heretofore successful PR techniques were ineffectual, resulting in his capitulation and a clear & overwhelming defeat. Trump's "stuff", the stuff that knocked-off 16 GOP presidential candidates and the entire previous incarnation of the Party, no longer worked.

That above, has to weigh heavily on McConnell and his caucus.

I'm fairly sure it does. Remember also that McConnell and many other GOP US Senators are up for reelection in 2020.

By then Trumps coattails should be highly toxic to all but his core base.

I'm fairly sure it does. Remember also that McConnell and many other GOP US Senators are up for reelection in 2020.

By then Trumps coattails should be highly toxic to all but his core base.
Yep. The GOP have been in a jam since Trump threw his hat into the race, in 2016. And they still are. And it seems to be costing them. But they did get a Tax bill for their donors and two Supreme Court Justices out of the deal.

But now with Pelosi in control of the House, except for court appointments Trump is essentially impotent for GOP purposes. He's legislatively spent. The GOP will have to turn to Pelosi, in order to legislate

I think an important point (for lack of better words) in Trump's presidency was crossed recently, during the shut-down. I'm not sure if it's an inflection point, but it's an important point none-the-less.

Trump took the GOP down a blind alley, and couldn't get them out. No matter what he did, he couldn't move the needle of public opinion, and could only watch it continuously and precipitously build against him no matter what he tried. The magic was gone. His charisma and heretofore successful PR techniques were ineffectual, resulting in his capitulation and a clear & overwhelming defeat. Trump's "stuff", the stuff that knocked-off 16 GOP presidential candidates and the entire previous incarnation of the Party, no longer worked.

This is true however, I don't think you'll see any meaningful deviation in course until Trumps approval dips into the 20's. And I don't know if that will ever happen. I doubt it. Trump supporters love being lied to and made to look like fools. Trump does it to them everyday and they smile and ask for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh look!! The DEMS are HAWKS now....

It's interesting that the former "anti war" left is not beating the drums for more exposure in the middle east, and pushing for a more aggressive stance against Russia, knowing full well that if Russia rolls into Ukrain, there is little we can do about it except thank Putin for not taking a NATO country, thus demonstrating how brittle the NATO sword really is.

It's time to return to the draft and democratize the military again. IMO, 25% of military manpower should be draftees into non front line combat positions. It's high time for America to get some skin in the game, and quit using US troops as mercenaries for the multi national companies. We are in the middle east for economic reasons, not military or political.

This is true however, I don't think you'll see any meaningful deviation in course until Trumps approval dips into the 20's. And I don't know if that will ever happen. I doubt it. Trump supporters love being lied to and made to look like fools. Trump does it to them everyday and they smile and ask for more.

Fair point.

One thing I didn't touch on in my post, besides Trump's PR failing, was his failure in political judgment. Trump has made some astute political determinations over the past three years, enough to win a Presidential election and take-over a party that was never his. But here in the shutdown, he had abject failure in judgment.

Fair point.

One thing I didn't touch on in my post, besides Trump's PR failing, was his failure in political judgment. Trump has made some astute political determinations over the past three years, enough to win a Presidential election and take-over a party that was never his. But here in the shutdown, he had abject failure in judgment.

I think he's going to pivot to abortion to use as a wedge.

Back
Top Bottom