• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's ever-shifting shutdown blame game

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

181211115252-01-trump-pelosi-schumer-1211-large-169.jpg

1/3/19
First, President Donald Trump said he would take responsibility for any potential government shutdown. Later, as the partial shutdown got underway, it was top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer's fault. Then Trump placed the blame on top House Democrat and now House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Now? It's the fault of all the Democrats running to replace him in 2020. Thirteen days in, the President and Democrats remain at odds over funding for a US-Mexico border wall, which has stymied negotiations on passing the funding broader measures needed to reopen the government. Trump initially said he would "take the mantle" of blame for a shutdown due to border security disagreements, but ahead of Democrats' takeover of the House of Representatives on Thursday, he's sought to shift the blame onto the Democrats' future political ambitions. "The Shutdown is only because of the 2020 Presidential Election," Trump tweeted Thursday. "The Democrats know they can't win based on all of the achievements of 'Trump,' so they are going all out on the desperately needed Wall and Border Security - and Presidential Harassment. For them, strictly politics!"

Trump, who launched his 2016 presidential debate decrying illegal immigration, claimed Wednesday he's not thinking about the politics of the debate. "I actually think it's bad politics, but I'm not thinking about the politics. I'm thinking about what's right and what's wrong. And we need a physical barrier," he said. But behind closed doors, Trump admitted he is acutely aware of the politics of the debate. The President told a group of lawmakers he can't accept Democrats' offer to reopen the government as the two sides negotiate border wall funding because he "would look foolish if I did that," a person familiar with the conversation told CNN.

As with his infamous lie that Mexico would pay for his border wall, Trump is again trying to lie his way out of his own words on camera -- “I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."

One lie after another lie. Neither the honesty nor the bravado to own the words that emerge out of his own pie hole.

As with his infamous lie that Mexico would pay for his border wall, Trump is again trying to lie his way out of his own words on camera -- “I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."

One lie after another lie. Neither the honesty nor the bravado to own the words that emerge out of his own pie hole.

Why not lie? He lies constantly to his Fan Base and they still love him for it. Like Jim Jones' supporters loved it when he **** on them.

Nobody with a functioning brain believes Trump or supports Trump. The man is demented.

Friday WH meeting with Schumer, Pelosi and what have you just ended.

Poor Nancy...stuck with boat anchor Schumer wrapped around her neck.

The man is incapable of thinking on his feet.

Last edited:
Make congress go without pay. That would end the shut down sooner.

Friday WH meeting with Schumer, Pelosi and what have you just ended.

Poor Nancy...stuck with boat anchor Schumer wrapped around her neck.

The man is incapable of thinking on his feet.

Don’t understand. She looked pretty good past couple days. Took Nielsen to school on the border, elected Speaker once again, etc.

He's like a leaf in the wind, saying he wouldn't blame Schumer one day then blaming him the next. It' obvious that Trump's about-face was due to Ann's and Rush's objections. I'm curious how they're reacting to their new found power to affect all Americans. Are they boasting and reveling in it, are they ignoring it or claiming it was just a coincidence?

I bet The Cult would love to have either Ann or Rush as president so they could cut-out the middle-man. They would get a twofer, all their hateful policies, backed up with some brains...

Last edited:
Don’t understand. She looked pretty good past couple days. Took Nielsen to school on the border, elected Speaker once again, etc.

She was fine. He, meaning Schumer, can't think on his feat. He is just a boat anchor around her neck.

Donald with another Post shutdown meeting PR message that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Get on with it Donald.

"Billions and Billions of Dollars taken in from our tariffs" [from Americans you dolt]

"Billions and Billions of Dollars taken in from our tariffs" [from Americans you dolt]

*cough. The Chinese now have to pay to send their stuff to the US instead of only the US paying to send stuff to China.

Hey, someone pulled Pence's see-and-say string today, he parroted Trump's talking points. I thought they'd just had him stuffed and kept him around for a souvenier.

Watching some of Trump's press conference right now, hilarious. I almost spit my drink out with surprise laughter.
He rambles on, cites nonsense figures and lies as usual. Talks crap about how everyone in the universe was surprised by the job numbers...except him. I mean, as good of writing as any other hit season...he delivers.
Then he talks about how good steel is doing because of Trump....then uses that to shift the discussion to the wall, which could be concrete or could be steel...more expensive but whatever... So subtle! You're gonna give on that concrete wall, just like you couldn't get Mexico to pay for it, and everyone knew how this ended but Trump?

I love it in a depressing sort of way. It's like a 10 year old first draft, but it's POTUS writing and delivering it...amazing.

Almost as funny as Trump's child-like rambling, is watching those morons flanking him keep a straight face.

*cough. The Chinese now have to pay to send their stuff to the US instead of only the US paying to send stuff to China.

cough...irrelevent. THE issue with China is IP theft and Donald has gone entirely backwards in that regard.

Watching some of Trump's press conference right now, hilarious. I almost spit my drink out with surprise laughter.
He rambles on, cites nonsense figures and lies as usual. Talks crap about how everyone in the universe was surprised by the job numbers...except him. I mean, as good of writing as any other hit season...he delivers.
Then he talks about how good steel is doing because of Trump....then uses that to shift the discussion to the wall, which could be concrete or could be steel...more expensive but whatever... So subtle! You're gonna give on that concrete wall, just like you couldn't get Mexico to pay for it, and everyone knew how this ended but Trump?

I love it in a depressing sort of way. It's like a 10 year old first draft, but it's POTUS writing and delivering it...amazing.

Almost as funny as Trump's child-like rambling, is watching those morons flanking him keep a straight face.

Was wondering if anybody else noticed how Donald drones on now. Anybody checked his medicine chest lately?

Donald completely mischaracterized how the 4 bill Wall/DACA dealmaking went earlier in the year. The judge's ruling had nothing to do with it. Nobody wanted the only bill of the 4 Donald would support and Donald killed the Bill everybody else, both sides of the aisle wanted to pass.

Last edited:

You don't know how tariffs work, do you?

He completely owned it up to the point where the Democrats started getting cutesy, such as slipping a provision which rescinds the Mexico City policy on abortion funding into their supposed shutdown-breaking spending bill.

If the Democrats maintained a "clean" spending bill, as they always demand during any shutdown, then they can keep the blame on him. But they've been in power for hardly a day and they're already overreaching.

Billions and Billions and more Billions and Billions. Apparently Donald went to the Carl Sagan school of economics.

Why not lie? He lies constantly to his Fan Base and they still love him for it. Like Jim Jones' supporters loved it when he **** on them.

Nobody with a functioning brain believes Trump or supports Trump. The man is demented.

At least here, and as with Jones, some have defected. Not enough, but some.

He completely owned it up to the point where the Democrats started getting cutesy, such as slipping a provision which rescinds the Mexico City policy on abortion funding into their supposed shutdown-breaking spending bill.

If the Democrats maintained a "clean" spending bill, as they always demand during any shutdown, then they can keep the blame on him. But they've been in power for hardly a day and they're already overreaching.

Ten months ago:

"I'd love to see a shutdown if we don't get this stuff taken care of. If we have to shut it down because the Democrats don't want safety, then shut it down."

Before the shutdown (tweet):

"A few minutes later, Trump tweeted, "Shutdown today if Democrats do not vote for Border Security!"

Before the shutdown (meeting, televised):

"So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it,"

Enough weasel words spun to blame the Ds, whether from you or Trump. Trump owns the shut-down.

Yet again, the GOP takes hostages and issues demands. Once again, the usual suspects say anything to make it about the Ds

Good news! Trump might have finally found financing for his wall.

Bad news: might just have to abuse power to do it, but that shouldn't stop him.

Trump considering declaring national emergency to secure wall funding

President Donald Trump is seriously considering potential options to circumvent Congress, including declaring a national emergency, to reprogram funds from the Department of Defense and elsewhere to help pay for parts of his desired border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, according to multiple sources familiar with the ongoing discussions.

Good news! Trump might have finally found financing for his wall.

Bad news: might just have to abuse power to do it, but that shouldn't stop him.

Trump considering declaring national emergency to secure wall funding

President Donald Trump is seriously considering potential options to circumvent Congress, including declaring a national emergency, to reprogram funds from the Department of Defense and elsewhere to help pay for parts of his desired border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, according to multiple sources familiar with the ongoing discussions.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1081276957361356807

Maggie Haberman@maggieNYT

@realDonaldTrump just confirmed ABC News scoop that he's considering declaring a national emergency to get funding. "I am allowed to do that," he says. Others doubt that he is.

11:51 AM - 4 Jan 2019

What "shifted"? He's blaming the same people that are the cause of it.

Back
Top Bottom