• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's claim about former POTUSes and the wall

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump claimed ex-presidents told him they wished they built a wall.

So the only way you’re going to stop that is by having a solid steel structure, or concrete structure, whether it’s a wall or some form of very powerful steel. Now the steel is actually more expensive than the concrete, but I think we’re probably talking about steel because I really feel the other side feels better about it, and I can understand what they’re saying. It is more expensive.

We mentioned the price, that we want $5.6 billion very strongly. Because numbers are thrown around — $1.6, $2.1, $2.5 [billion] — this is national security we’re talking about. We’re not talking about games. We’re talking about national security. This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me, and they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.
-- Donald Trump

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

The truth: every living former POTUS has expressly rejected the notion of building Trump's wall.
  • Jimmy Carter

Clarification from former U.S. President Jimmy Carter:

"I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue.”
    -- Jimmy Carter
  • Bill Clinton:

"They’ve not talked since the inauguration."
  • George W. Bush

"A spokesperson for George W. Bush, Freddy Ford, said Bush never discussed a border wall with Trump."
  • Barack Obama

"Suggesting that we can build an endless wall along our borders, and blame our challenges on immigrants — that doesn’t just run counter to our history as the world’s melting pot, it contradicts the evidence that our growth and our innovation and our dynamism has always been spurred by our ability to attract strivers from every corner of the globe."

How dare he invoke any former POTUS and claim one of them said something they did not!

Is Trump so full-on loony that he didn't realize that there are only four people who could have made remarks of the nature he indicated?

Is Trump so naive as to think that any one of them would lie on his behalf? Trump may be able on occasion to lie and then get his staff to swear to it, but the rest of the world won't. And no former POTUS will or even has reason to.

Last edited:
Dang...if only there wasnt actual video of Clinton, Bush, and Obama, all proudly touting their support of the hundreds of miles of walls THEY BUILT.

:lamo

So they all manage to prove that they are as good at lying after their presidencies as they were DURING their presidencies.

****ing liars and hypocrites.

He lies constantly because he gets away with it, no one holds him accountable for his lies. The Republican cowards in Congress don't, and neither does his base.

Is there anything President Trump could do that would endanger that support from you or other evangelical leaders?

Jerry Falwell Jr.: No.

That says it all right there. He can do anything and his mindless cult followers will goose step behind him.

Pointing out that Trump is a pathological serial liar is like pointing out that the guy who cleans up behind the elephant at the circus or zoo has a crappy job.

He lies constantly because he gets away with it, no one holds him accountable for his lies. The Republican cowards in Congress don't, and neither does his base.

That says it all right there. He can do anything and his mindless cult followers will goose step behind him.

Which is exactly the type of license a wanna-be authoritarian needs and wants.

This man is the single greatest threat to our American system than anyone in the last seventy years.

Trump claimed ex-presidents told him they wished they built a wall.

So the only way you’re going to stop that is by having a solid steel structure, or concrete structure, whether it’s a wall or some form of very powerful steel. Now the steel is actually more expensive than the concrete, but I think we’re probably talking about steel because I really feel the other side feels better about it, and I can understand what they’re saying. It is more expensive.

We mentioned the price, that we want $5.6 billion very strongly. Because numbers are thrown around — $1.6, $2.1, $2.5 [billion] — this is national security we’re talking about. We’re not talking about games. We’re talking about national security. This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me, and they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.
-- Donald Trump

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

The truth: every living former POTUS has expressly rejected the notion of building Trump's wall.
  • Jimmy Carter

Clarification from former U.S. President Jimmy Carter:

"I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue.”
    -- Jimmy Carter
  • Bill Clinton:

"They’ve not talked since the inauguration."
  • George W. Bush

"A spokesperson for George W. Bush, Freddy Ford, said Bush never discussed a border wall with Trump."
  • Barack Obama

"Suggesting that we can build an endless wall along our borders, and blame our challenges on immigrants — that doesn’t just run counter to our history as the world’s melting pot, it contradicts the evidence that our growth and our innovation and our dynamism has always been spurred by our ability to attract strivers from every corner of the globe."

How dare he invoke any former POTUS and claim one of them said something they did not!

Is Trump so full-on loony that he didn't realize that there are only four people who could have made remarks of the nature he indicated?

Is Trump so naive as to think that any one of them would lie on his behalf? Trump may be able on occasion to lie and then get his staff to swear to it, but the rest of the world won't. And no former POTUS will or even has reason to.

Can Trump ever stop lying?

At this point, if he is not lying and believes what he says......he is hearing voices and is mentally ill.

So is he a pathological liar or mentally ill?

Mostly I think that he just doesn't care. I doesn't matter what comes out of his mouth, how much is half-truth, how much is outright lie. The Trumpeteers will gobble it up, it will play to his base and that's all he knows and cares about. At this point no rational individual believes Trump, but this isn't about rational people. It's about his cult and getting them to regurgitate the narrative.

At this point, if he is not lying and believes what he says......he is hearing voices and is mentally ill.

Red:
Trump has a long history of lying, even under oath in 2007 and again in 2011 and 2016....and that's just what we know of his lying under oath.

At this point the matter isn't an "either/or" one about what he believes or his mental state. It's matter of how mentally ill is he; whether he believes his lies is irrelevant.

Again, he says something outrageous, something verifiably false, and it is all we can talk about. When will we learn? He did that deliberately, to take the focus off of something else. He has done this almost weekly since he first declared his candidacy for president.

Pathological? Mentally ill?

Hell, no! He is a master of controlling the narrative.

Prediction: He will continue to make outrageous statements and the media will continue to focus on them and Trump will continue to control the narrative.

What was Frederick Douglas’ opinion?

Again, he says something outrageous, something verifiably false, and it is all we can talk about. When will we learn? He did that deliberately, to take the focus off of something else. He has done almost weekly since he first declared his candidacy for president.

Pathological? Mentally ill?

Hell, no! He is a master of controlling the narrative.

Prediction: He will continue to make outrageous statements and the media will continue to focus on them and Trump will continue to control the narrative.

Outrageous statements? He is lying about important issues. At some point he will have a real crisis with many potential immediate consequences and people will not believe him. He may need to convince our allies to help and they will not believe him.

Only an inefficient asshole needs to be a pathological liar to control the narrative.

Pointing out that Trump is a pathological serial liar is like pointing out that the guy who cleans up behind the elephant at the circus or zoo has a crappy job.

hD84CDB57

Well unless you are a dung beetle.

Outrageous statements? He is lying about important issues. At some point he will have a real crisis with many potential immediate consequences and people will not believe him. He may need to convince our allies to help and they will not believe him.

Only an inefficient asshole needs to be a pathological liar to control the narrative.

007b7f9e567e14c7fe54d5d3a2e60f09.jpg

Denial_riverinegypt.jpg

Red:
People, you included, need to disabuse themselves of the sympathetic notion (false dichotomy) that it be one or the other. From where I sit, it's both.

Okay, I want to see Sarah back up this lie. She might blow up like a Puffer Fish and explode. She's looking unhealthier each day she works for Trump. Has anyone noticed if she's crossing her fingers behind her? Bless her heart.

Dang...if only there wasnt actual video of Clinton, Bush, and Obama, all proudly touting their support of the hundreds of miles of walls THEY BUILT.

:lamo

So they all manage to prove that they are as good at lying after their presidencies as they were DURING their presidencies.

****ing liars and hypocrites.

Why don't you at least pretend to understand what a thread is about when you post in it?

Jim Jones was a serial liar too. Look how well that worked out for his supporters.

Okay, I want to see Sarah back up this lie. She might blow up like a Puffer Fish and explode. She's looking unhealthier each day she works for Trump. Has anyone noticed if she's crossing her fingers behind her? Bless her heart.

Oh, you haven't seen the WH's equivocation ("spin") in response to his lie about what former POTUSes said, have you?

Jim Jones was a serial liar too. Look how well that worked out for his supporters.

I bet his approval ratings with the true believers were off the charts.

Red:
People, you included, need to disabuse themselves of the sympathetic notion (false dichotomy) that it be one or the other. From where I sit, it's both.

I am emphatically open to it being both.

Why don't you at least pretend to understand what a thread is about when you post in it?
I understand COMPLETELY what this thread is about. the pretense that 4 ex presidents dont support border walls.

History proves that to be a lie. Anyone that suggests that at least 3 of 4 of those presidents didnt BUILD walls is a ****ing liar and a hypocrite. INCLUDING those presidents. I qualify that as 3 of 4, because I havent researched Carters position. But facts are clear...Clinton, Bush, and Obama ALL built walls. Walls work. Walls are NEEDED.

I understand COMPLETELY what this thread is about. the pretense that 4 ex presidents dont support border walls.

History proves that to be a lie. Anyone that suggests that at least 3 of 4 of those presidents didnt BUILD walls is a ****ing liar and a hypocrite. INCLUDING those presidents. I qualify that as 3 of 4, because I havent researched Carters position. But facts are clear...Clinton, Bush, and Obama ALL built walls. Walls work. Walls are NEEDED.

Ummmm what?

Trump:

This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me, and they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.

Not only are you yet again squirming to defend another Trump lie, to defend him YOU are actually calling him a liar. He's saying they didn't build walls.

Got to be really hard to keep trying to defend a serial liar like Trump.

Back
Top Bottom